The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Bench Shirts and a Newbie

Just got into powerlifting, almost a year, and doing my first meet in a couple months. I've been using a f6, which fits me very loose and awkwardly. So I'm looking to get my first shirt. I'm totally lost on what size I should get, with what company etc. etc.

I'm 44 chest and 52 at the shoulders…the f6 is a 42. If anyone can shed some light on my situation with some advice that would be rad.

Sorry for the repost boys.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you are comfortable with an F6 why not just get one that fits?
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Yeah I would get an F6 that is tighter or tighten your current shirt sleeves first, that should help a lot.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

doing your first meet in a loose shirt is not a bad idea. If you get a really tight shirt before your first meet you could end up with a lot of issues. Unless you have a lot of experienced people in your corner, I would suggest using that shirt for your first meet, and then getting a tighter one for after that.

Wannabebig Member
    Yah the sleeves are pretty stretched…I get about 15-20lbs out of it. I would alter it but its not mine, just been borrowing it for the last 6 months. I found a 44 single ply katana A/S thats been used for one meet thats pretty cheap but unsure if that would be a good fit for me.

Ideally what would be a good size and single ply shirt for me to begin with?

15-20LB is nothing.

I had a loose metal single ply and got 90 out of it.

I would alter that shirt, the sleeves are easy.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I agree with Nick..... tighten the sleeves up. If it's going back to the original owner ask first, then leave the excess material in when you tighten the sleeve so the stitch can be removed and the shirt put back to normal later on.

It's not too bad to go in to a first meet with loose gear. You have a long career to dial everything in and get the last few pounds out of your gear. Loose gear will make it easier to touch in the bench, hit depth in the squat, and hold form in the pull. Unless you are trying for a big record just focus on making it through the meet and hitting numbers that are good for you. Then worry about making gains for the next meet.

If your chest is a relaxed 44" the 42 F6 shouldn't be too loose (it must be very badly strtched out). Rule of thumb is your relaxed chest size is your Titan shirt size. I go 2 " smaller but have a very short bench stroke. That 44 Katana would prob. work, but doing the meet in the F6 might be a good idea. The Katana is a much harder shirt to tame. It would be a great shirt to be learning for later though! Good luck!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

The Katana is much harder and specially if it has been used only one time. Stick to the F6 and get used to the pulling issue of wearing a shirt. Good luck!

I'm gonna assume this is you Andrew hahaha... He is one of my training partners.

That f6 is a piece of garbage.. Its like 6 years old. see if you can get that Katana. It may be slightly to much shirt but don't worry about it, the way your strength has been increasing you should be fine.

Its true your first meet you don't want to be worrying to much about the gear, but i mean, you train with one of the bigger gear whores out there so you may as well join.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    I'm gonna assume this is you Andrew hahaha... He is one of my training partners.

That f6 is a piece of garbage.. Its like 6 years old. see if you can get that Katana. It may be slightly to much shirt but don't worry about it, the way your strength has been increasing you should be fine.

Its true your first meet you don't want to be worrying to much about the gear, but i mean, you train with one of the bigger gear whores out there so you may as well join.
    This changes my answer. If you train with experienced geared lifters then by all means wear whatever they think you should be wearing. They will know what you are ready for.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    This changes my answer. If you train with experienced geared lifters then by all means wear whatever they think you should be wearing. They will know what you are ready for.
    Agreed, You've got experienced help so the Katana is doable. We've put guys in Katana's as their 1st shirt before as long as they had a fair amount of lifting background already and their basics are sound.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Agreed.... having experienced guys to help makes anything possible. Go for it, and at worst if it's not happening just open light in the f6 and switch to the Katana to go for a good 2nd

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Ryan…embarrass me on my first thread!

If the guy could operate his phone maybe I wouldn't have to ask questions here…

Thanks for the input boys, going with the katana.

Yep, if you train with Ryan the Katana would be good but I still would not buy it meet fit, you can always tighten it up but if its too tight you will never touch.
    Bench geared 525 @ 210

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...