The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Too late to be a powerlifter at age 30?

I was talking to my dad about being a powerlifting and my g/f and they were both concerned that I had 2 arthoscopic surgeries on my right knee and I am 30 years old am I too old to compete in powerlifting?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Im 37 have been lifting forever but just recently hooked up with a powerlifting team and getting serious abt competing. 30 is still young man, alot of good yrs ahead of you alot of guys and girls are kicking ass into there 50"s in this sport.

I have had alot of minor injuries but they heal and all these 22 yr old kids are getting just as hurt as me and they are not moving the kind of weight I am yet soo alot of it is mental . Just do what will make you happy and let everyone else be too old

Iron4Life
    I lifted on-off for almost 30 years... had lot of injuries, but from other activities... bun knees from football, motorcycle accidents... bad back from wrestling accident.. messed up hands/fingers from farm accidents..

Then I got serious... lol.. started powerlifting/strongman at 41...
    Almost 5 years later... healthier.. and stronger then ever..
    Can't wait to hit a new PR at each new competition..

@ 30.. you have a lot of quality years ahead of you..
    if you WANT them!!

GL
    Last edited by Bob; 03-23-2011 at 06:37 PM.

Never too late.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I am a bit younger, but 30 is not old at all, but its never too late. I broke both my wrists badly in a mountain biking crash years ago and other then the occasional pain or dislocation its not something I ever think about. Your body can recover and you can always get stronger if you are smart with your training.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Im 30 and plan on lifting hard for the next 30 years.

There are some GREAT lifters at 40+
    Last edited by NickAus; 03-23-2011 at 07:17 PM.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

31 here and want to compete at least annually for the next 20+ years. Did my first one at age 30.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    On top of the crew of younger guys and mid-30's guys I lift with a few people in their 50's and 60's..... never mind Ernie (Frantz)at 76 years old still squatting over 500 regularly.

thanks everyone

I have been training and competing for a long time. Meanwhile I am stronger now in my forties than I was in my twenties and thirties.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Why'd you have your knee scoped twice? If you have knee issues, then squatting in gear is actually better. It helps you carry the stress in your hips instead of your knees.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    Why'd you have your knee scoped twice? If you have knee issues, then squatting in gear is actually better. It helps you carry the stress in your hips instead of your knees.
    I have to agree with this..... you don't see a ton of big raw guys in their 60's......

Never too late to do the things you wanna do you just gotta put it in motion. Im turning 24 AND just starting to compete so I thought I was all late but nope.b
    "Take the slow road - don't be the guy "bulking" and "cutting" and "dieting". All of these things fail. It's about a lifestyle."- Jim Wendler

My Log
    http://last.fm/user/dechrizzle
    http://doomisloomis.tumblr.com

Like everyone said it is never too late!
    I lifted in the 70's to early 90's then stopped due to back issues. Got back into lifting after 12 year layoff and then got serious.
    Now I will be attempting a 800lb squat in a meet in 2 weeks and I'm 53 year old that had 3 buldging disks.

Never too late Just be smart have correct form on everything.
    Good Luck!
    Mike Ski

Best Lifts
    Raw
    625/380/575

Equipped
    810/610/600

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by torch1980 View Post
    I was talking to my dad about being a powerlifting and my g/f and they were both concerned that I had 2 arthoscopic surgeries on my right knee and I am 30 years old am I too old to compete in powerlifting?
    It is never too late. Get in there and kick ass.

Like everyone else has said, it's never too late. Just lift smart and you can do this for a long time. I'll add one thing, I have noticed that most power lifters or at least all that I have seen on this site are more than willing to help newcomers to the sport. I have never seen a sport where everyone is so willing not only to help others but they encourage progress. Get on board and you will love it regardless of age.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Best RAW lifts squat 385- bench 400x2 reps- DL 395
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

Banned
    I started just shy of my 41st Birthday - age is just a state of mind just go lift and enjoy yourself I am just annoyed I didnt discover this sport 20 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusWild View Post
    I torn my lateral and medial meniscus my lateral in september and my medial when I was 19

I tore my acl, mcl, and both meniscus. They had to remove all but about a pinky fingers worth of the meniscus from both sides. 7months after surgery I walked out, and squated 700lbs in a zsuit, wraps, and belt. You just have to train smart. Read, ask questions, and you will be fine. Its a great sport, you dont have to be elite to enjoy it!

Similar to several here. I had 3 knee scopes and 2 shoulder scopes from football and a car wreck + one work accident. Made a powerlifting comeback at about 45 Y.O. and have had a partial shoulder replacement this past Dec. and am now coming back to competition in early 2012 from that (football stuff got the shoulder; not the lifting). I'm 55 now and have won 13 Masters World Championships and have broken 26 Masters WRs and several Open state and American records. I still love it and NOOOOOO! Your no where near too old to start! Go far it and I hope you have as much fun doing it as I have! Just do it!!! By the way, my best meet lifts since age 53 have been an 810 squat, 600 BP and 622 Deadlift. So, you are no where near your strength peak age yet. No telling what you'll be doing by my age!
    Last edited by mastermonster; 03-26-2011 at 07:41 PM. Reason: info
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

You'll be fine. I know a few people that have done that, and it doesn't limit their lifting.
    www.wildirongym.com
    Become a fan of Wild Iron on Facebook:
    http://tinyurl.com/WildIron

I'd say if anything, you'll be starting out with a lot more common sense then say a 15yr old kid would. I didn't start strength training at ALL till I was 21, and I noticed that compared to friends of mine who started early on in high school, I never had any significant injuries early on in my training career. I also seemed to make faster progress then my friends did when they first started training, because I was willing to read, research, and listen to those who really knew what they were talking about. 30's definetly not too old....look at guys like Chuck V, Andy Bolton, etc...they are in their 40's, and still breaking records and still finding ways to get stronger. Good luck with powerlifting, its a sport that truely gives back to you what you put into it.

thanks again everyone I started my deadlifts thursday hurt a lil bit in my surgerical knee

Wannabebig Member
    You're in good shape. I am 36 and have made big gains in the last five years. I never thought I would be as strong as I am now. Consistency and hard work pay off. Age is not a factor in your thirties.

Im 39 now. About 10 years ago I tore my groin and an ab muscle plaing hockey. Started PLing about 3 years ago. Never too late.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes