The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member barryisawinnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    736

    1st Strongman competition, never really trained strongman before

    other than farmers walks and whatnot a few times. Anyways, any advice for a noob doing his 1st show. I'll be Novice LW. Anything from what to wear, what to bring, to actual event stuff, I am all ears. Here is the contest

    EVENTS: (in competition order)

    2 inch Axle Overhead Press– One Clean, press for reps (60 sec)
    Allowed: Chalk, Belt, Elbow Wraps, Wrist Wraps allowed
    Not Allowed: Wrist Straps, No resting bar on Belt or Head , Tacky
    Women: 120#
    NV LW: 180#
    NV HW: 200#
    Open LW: 200#
    Open HW: 230#

    Farmers Walk 40 feet (60 Sec)
    Allowed: Wrist Wraps, Elbow Wraps, Knee Wraps, Belt, Chalk
    Not Allowed: Wrist Straps, Tacky
    Women: 140# (per hand)
    NV LW: 200# (per hand)
    NV HW: 250# (per hand)
    Open LW: 250# (per hand)
    Open HW: 270# (per hand)


    Deadlift - 2 inch Axle with tires (approx 18” off ground) (60 Sec)
    Allowed: Chalk, Belt, Knee Wraps, Elbow Wraps, PowerBriefs, Barefoot or socks
    Not Allowed: wrist straps, deadlift suits, Tacky
    Women: 250#
    NV LW: 340#
    NV HW: 430#
    Open LW: 430#
    Open HW: 520#

    Yoke Walk 40 feet (60 Sec)
    Allowed: Chalk, Belt, PowerBriefs, Knee wraps, wrist wraps
    Not Allowed: Deadlift suit, tacky
    Women: 350#
    NV LW: 400#
    NV HW: 500#
    Open LW: 500#
    Open HW: 600#

    Atlas Stones (5 Stones, 48” Platform, 60 Sec)
    Event shirt not mandatory on this event
    Allowed: Tacky, chalk, belt, Forearm wraps, Knee Wraps
    Not Allowed: Shoe lifts
    Women: 115, 135, 155, 175, 200
    NV LW: 175, 200, 225, 240, 265
    NV HW: 200, 225, 240, 265, 300
    Open LW: 225, 240, 265, 300, 325
    Open HW: 240, 265, 300, 325, 350

    *Events subject to change


    Thanks

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Senior Member barryisawinnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    736
    was told that there is a decent chance that the deads will get traded out for tire flips too

  4. #3
    Garage Lifter
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    5,993
    There's a lot of good info at www.marunde-muscle.com/forum

    I just started to train strongman and all I can say is to try and get with a group of guys and get in as much practice as possible on the events. How long until the contest?

    The events don't look super heavy but practice will make a world of difference
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

  5. #4
    Senior Member barryisawinnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    736
    that was my plan, lol. Was going to do one in May but was encouraged to do this one(its April 2nd) because it is very beginner friendly. For the axle press I have been using my fat gripz for training, I know it wont really simulate the clean part but hey. I hope to meet people there who will then let me train with them occasionally.

  6. #5
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    What does your training look like right now? Do you post a journal anywhere?

    I can give you tips for each event, and most of those events should be quite manageable assuming that you have a weight training / athletics background.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 03-24-2011 at 05:00 AM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  7. #6
    Senior Member barryisawinnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    What does your training look like right now? Do you post a journal anywhere?

    I can give you tips for each event, and most of those events should be quite manageable assuming that you have a weight training / athletics background.

    That would be awesome Tom. No journal kept anywhere online but I have been training using WS4SB3 for about the last 2 years. My gym maxes are bench 315 touch and go, Deadlift 485, Box Squat 385, Front Squat, 305. Didn't do much in terms of Overhead Pressing but did 185 for a pretty easy 6 after bench on Monday with my fat gripz cleaning the bar for the 1st rep(Although I read that an axle is more difficult to clean since the plates dont rotate) so I was gong to practice the continental clean. I ordered a set of deluxe farmers from pittbull but they probably won't get here till Monday. I am really concerned with the axle deads as I was only able to get 315x1 with fat gripz.




    Thanks
    Bryan
    Last edited by barryisawinnah; 03-24-2011 at 08:12 AM.

  8. #7
    Senior Member barryisawinnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    736
    Also the 315 dead with the fat gripz was done with an over undet grip. Is that even allowed?

  9. #8
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by barryisawinnah View Post
    That would be awesome Tom. No journal kept anywhere online but I have been training using WS4SB3 for about the last 2 years. My gym maxes are bench 315 touch and go, Deadlift 485, Box Squat 385, Front Squat, 305. Didn't do much in terms of Overhead Pressing but did 185 for a pretty easy 6 after bench on Monday with my fat gripz cleaning the bar for the 1st rep(Although I read that an axle is more difficult to clean since the plates dont rotate) so I was gong to practice the continental clean. I ordered a set of deluxe farmers from pittbull but they probably won't get here till Monday. I am really concerned with the axle deads as I was only able to get 315x1 with fat gripz.

    Thanks
    Bryan
    Sorry for not getting back to you more quickly, I have been traveling for the past couple of weeks.

    The way that I would use Fat Gripz to train for an axle would be to put them in the middle of the bar and practice the continental clean. You are able to use an over/under grip on the axle and clean it to your midsection then up to your chest.

    Here are some examples of the continental clean:

    Front View:

    Video


    Side View:

    Video
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  10. #9
    Senior Member barryisawinnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    736
    Bump.........


    Max Push Press is 225 btw, def a weaklink

  11. #10
    Garage Lifter
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    5,993
    over-under should be fine for your grip; did your farmer's implements make it?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

  12. #11
    Senior Member barryisawinnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    over-under should be fine for your grip; did your farmer's implements make it?
    they are scheduled to be here today, so tomorrow I will take them out for a test run.

    I have never lifted with a belt before, should I rush deliver one for Saturday? Or should I go beltess? Or just get a cheap belt for the show and then buy a nice one later?

  13. #12
    Garage Lifter
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Webster Groves, MO
    Posts
    5,993
    Quote Originally Posted by barryisawinnah View Post
    Or just get a cheap belt for the show and then buy a nice one later?
    Can you get a leather one locally? If that's an option I'd do that. I don't think I'd pay for rush delivery for a belt, especially if you've never used one before.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

  14. #13
    Senior Member barryisawinnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Can you get a leather one locally? If that's an option I'd do that. I don't think I'd pay for rush delivery for a belt, especially if you've never used one before.
    i'll look around. Would Sports Authority have a leather one?

  15. #14
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by barryisawinnah View Post
    EVENTS: (in competition order)

    2 inch Axle Overhead Press– One Clean, press for reps (60 sec)
    Allowed: Chalk, Belt, Elbow Wraps, Wrist Wraps allowed
    Not Allowed: Wrist Straps, No resting bar on Belt or Head , Tacky

    Farmers Walk 40 feet (60 Sec)
    Allowed: Wrist Wraps, Elbow Wraps, Knee Wraps, Belt, Chalk
    Not Allowed: Wrist Straps, Tacky


    Deadlift - 2 inch Axle with tires (approx 18” off ground) (60 Sec)
    Allowed: Chalk, Belt, Knee Wraps, Elbow Wraps, PowerBriefs, Barefoot or socks
    Not Allowed: wrist straps, deadlift suits, Tacky

    Yoke Walk 40 feet (60 Sec)
    Allowed: Chalk, Belt, PowerBriefs, Knee wraps, wrist wraps
    Not Allowed: Deadlift suit, tacky

    Atlas Stones (5 Stones, 48” Platform, 60 Sec)
    Event shirt not mandatory on this event
    Allowed: Tacky, chalk, belt, Forearm wraps, Knee Wraps
    Not Allowed: Shoe lifts

    *Events subject to change
    Axle Press:
    Depending on how large your hands are, how coordinated you are, and how strong your grip is - you may want to power clean. If not then I would practice the technique that I demonstrated above which is called the "continental clean". For the axle I would make sure to use your legs to push the bar in the bottom of the lift and make sure to drive your head through on each rep. This will help you to power the bar to lockout and will also allow the judges to give you a quick 'down' command. Make sure to wait for the commands from the referee and do not try to go too quickly on the event since 60 seconds is plenty of time to get 5-10 reps depending on your style of clean and efficiency.

    Farmers Walk:
    Make sure to pick up the implements before you start walking. This may sound silly but a lot of guys try to start running before they have stood up all of the way and this will cause them to fall forward or to be off balance. Your best bet is to stand up and then start walking and build speed as you go - try to go as fast as possible while staying under control (not falling). 40 feet is a short distance so make sure to get a quick pick-up and really try to run your feet once you are stable.

    Deadlift:
    There are no straps allowed, so use an over/under grip and make sure to really crank your hands underneath. You will likely want to use a thumbless grip as well. Make sure to wait for the judges command and find out if they are giving 'up' and 'down' commands or only 'down' - if they are only giving 'down' commands then you can use a 'touch and go' style to increase your efficiency.

    Yoke Race:
    For this one I would wear a tight power belt. Pick up the yoke at about a shoulder width stance before it is loaded and make sure that you have about 4-5" of clearance. When it is time to go you should pick up the yoke and start off with small steps, as you pick up speed you can take slightly longer strides but make sure to "stay tight" and do not try to go too fast to the point where you are out of control. A 40 foot course is short, so it will be important to have good reaction time to the whistle and to get going fairly quickly.

    Stones:
    If you have a sandbag that is probably the best way to train without using an actual stone. For this event I would recommend getting some "tacky" (let me know the weather conditions and I can suggest which type I would use). Stand over the center of the stone and stiff-leg deadlift it into your lap while squeezing the stone. Once you roll it into your lap you have two options. Option one would be to squeeze the stone and stand up with it like a front squat (this works well if you have good leg power). Option two would be to wrap your arms slightly over the top of the stone, lean forward, and then fire your hips and try to power the stone onto the platform (works well for explosive guys). Make sure to really attack the stones, this event requires you to be aggressive.


    Based on your current strength levels you should be fine with these events, and if there is anything else that I can do to help you to prepare for this contest just let me know.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  16. #15
    Senior Member barryisawinnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    736
    Thanks a million Tom. That is awesome of you to take the time to help me out like that. Don't think I have any other questions right now.It's in indoor event so the temperature shouldn't be an issue, i'm all ears on what kind of tacky to get. I mean of course I want to win but I mainly want to be competitive and hopefully meet some awesome people and find a legit place/crew to train events in the area.


    Thanks again

  17. #16
    Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    60
    Quote Originally Posted by barryisawinnah View Post
    Thanks a million Tom. That is awesome of you to take the time to help me out like that. Don't think I have any other questions right now.It's in indoor event so the temperature shouldn't be an issue, i'm all ears on what kind of tacky to get. I mean of course I want to win but I mainly want to be competitive and hopefully meet some awesome people and find a legit place/crew to train events in the area.

    Thanks again
    I do know a couple of competitors who live in Colorado and would be happy to get you in touch with them if you are interested in training. Is Greely near any large cities? And how far would you be open to driving?

    For the tacky I would pick up some Elite Tacky (regular formula) from Jackal's Gym. This tacky has been around for the longest and will work well in a variety of temperatures:

    http://www.jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?prod_id=DO-ET1

    To apply the tacky I would put small dabs of it on your forearms and palms (specifically the lower portion of your hands), then use your hands to spread the tacky into a thin layer covering your 'inside' of your forearms and your entire hands. You can add a little bit to your t-shirt if you believe that the stone may slip. Also, I would not wear a power belt on stones, but a soft belt can be used for back support. One other tip would be to keep a little tacky on the back of your hand/forearm in case you load the first couple of stones and run out of tacky.

    Hope this helps and once again let me know if there is anything else that you would like to discuss. If you want to add me on Facebook I can introduce you to some of the strongmen in Colorado - just mention who you are when you send the friend request.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

    Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

    Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

  18. #17
    Senior Member barryisawinnah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Posts
    736
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I do know a couple of competitors who live in Colorado and would be happy to get you in touch with them if you are interested in training. Is Greely near any large cities? And how far would you be open to driving?

    For the tacky I would pick up some Elite Tacky (regular formula) from Jackal's Gym. This tacky has been around for the longest and will work well in a variety of temperatures:

    http://www.jackalsgym.com/store.aspx?prod_id=DO-ET1

    To apply the tacky I would put small dabs of it on your forearms and palms (specifically the lower portion of your hands), then use your hands to spread the tacky into a thin layer covering your 'inside' of your forearms and your entire hands. You can add a little bit to your t-shirt if you believe that the stone may slip. Also, I would not wear a power belt on stones, but a soft belt can be used for back support. One other tip would be to keep a little tacky on the back of your hand/forearm in case you load the first couple of stones and run out of tacky.

    Hope this helps and once again let me know if there is anything else that you would like to discuss. If you want to add me on Facebook I can introduce you to some of the strongmen in Colorado - just mention who you are when you send the friend request.

    Thanks again Tom. I will send you a friend request when I get the chance. Greeley is about an hour NNE of Denver and about 35 minutes East of Ft Collins. I would definitely be willing to drive on weekends.


    Thanks again
    Bryan

Similar Threads

  1. May 22 E. Ky Strongman Competition Results
    By NASAKYCHAIRMAN in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-25-2010, 05:38 AM
  2. Strongman Competition Under 200 Class
    By Chase Karnes in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 10:18 AM
  3. First Annual Essex Homes Strongman Competition
    By Jason Mullens in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-13-2010, 11:00 PM
  4. First strongman competition from the summer.
    By Klotz in forum Members' Pics and Videos
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 07:22 PM
  5. Teen Strongman Competition
    By Jinkies in forum Powerlifting and Strength Training
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 07:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •