The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Joe's Juggernaut Method

Decided it was time to make a log, and now that i am following a strict program i decided this was the best time to start one. On march 21 it was my first day of the juggernaut method by chad wesley smith. if you havent heard of it i HIGHLY reccomend the book. you can find it on elitefts.com also i have posted a spreadsheet, i believe its in the powerlifting section. but when i get home today i will upload the latest edition and post that as well.

the basic principles of the juggernaut method are very simple. it seems like a mixture of jim wendlers 5/3/1 and dave tates block periodiazation. none the less im really looking forward to see what type of results i get. in the spread sheet there is a 1RM calcuator, as well as a chart that will tell you your next wave training numbers. this is where i am sitting right now as far as training numbers go:

Bench-225
    Squat-360
    OHP-130
    Deadlift-470

my pressing numbers are really low espicially for my size. right now i am weighing about 255. im hoping that the addition to the "metabolic training" at the end of every workout will really help with getting my weight down and getting in better performance shape/GPP.

my split is as follows:

Monday - Dead lift
    Wednesday - OHP
    Friday - Squat
    Saturday - Bench

All my accessory work is as exactly as CWS writes it in his training logs. keeping things very simple and high paced.

The entire cycle is 16 weeks long, with a deload every 4th week.

i will be updating on my pre-training, post training, and general nutrition. hopefully writing it out will keep me from getting at the junk food.

Thanks for looking, and keep coming back for updates! cant wait to see the results from the program.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Monday 3/21, 10s wave, week 1, deadlift

Today is my first day of the juggernaut method. looking at what is ahead of me for today does not look like its going to be fun, with 5 sets of 10 reps of deadlifting i know im going to be hurting the days to come. but on with the show:

pre-training:
    3 scoops Jack3d

durning training:
    2 scoops modern BCAA

post training:
    2 scoops protein blend (whey, casin, egg)
    1 scoop of waxy maize
    mixed in whole milk

Started with lots of stretching and some dynamic warm-up

deadlift:
    1x10@135
    1x10@185
    1x5@225
    4x10@255
    1x15@255
    Total working reps - 55
    Total working weight - 14025

GHR:
    3x15@BW

Step-ups to 12" platform:
    3x10 w/ 53lbs KBs each hand (10 steps with each leg)

Side Bends:
    1x20 w/ 53lbs KB (20 each side)
    2x15 w/ 53lbs KB (15 each side)

Seated Box jumps:
    4x3 - to a 24" box, seated on a 10" box
    5x2 - to a 30" box, seated on a 10" box
    5x1 - to a 30" box, not seated, just jumped but was a step back further than where the box sat

The only thing i did differently from the progam was the step-ups, CWS calls for lunges, but i have very bad ankles with very poor mobility, and my ankles would take a crazy beating if i did lunges, so instead i substitued in step-ups. i will be trying to video my training from now on too so its easly trackable.

Wednesday will be OHP, come back soon.

Wednesday, 10s wave, week 1, OHP

This is my first time doing OHP as a main movement since doing 5/3/1 about 8 months ago. we will see how it goes

Pre-training:
    3 scoops jack3d

durning-training:
    2 scoops modern BCAA

post training:
    2 scoops protein blend
    1 scoop waxy maize

todays training session had to go quick, i had a set time to be back to the office at 2pm, so today was very high paced. Here we go!

OHP:
    2x10@bar
    1x10@55
    4x10@75
    1x15@75
    Total reps - 55
    Total weight - 4125

Lat pull downs:
    3x10@115
    1x10@125
    1x10@90
    used d-handles on two different cables that way it was isolating each arm
    i really need to work on these, and i think the lack of my lats is holding my bench back.

Tricep punch-downs:
    4x10 w/ elite black band (1 arm at a time, 10 reps per arm)

ab wheel
    2x8@BW
    didnt use an actually ab wheel, used the suspended rings and did the movement standing. this was HARD, next time i will do it on my knees and try to get a furthur range of motion.

metabolic conditioning
    medley of medicine ball throws against the wall.
    chest press, overhead, and single arm push press for height
    this only lasted about 5 mins tops, destroyed me, there was no organization to it, just got the heart going and kept it going the whole time

bottom side up KB presses:
    i was reading the donnie thompson loves doing this for both grip and shoulder strength/rehab, so i gave them a shot before i left
    1x5@35lbs KB (1 arm at a time, 5 reps per arm)
    1x5@20lbs KB
    1x8@18lbs KB (seated and both arms at the same time
    these were much harder than i had anticipated. had to concentrate hard on the KB to make sure it didnt flip down on me. was very slow moving and got quite the burn out of the shoulders.

only thing i did different today was the banded punch downs. CWS calls for dips, but they will kill my shoulder, and with pressing 2 times a week for max effort i dont want to risk getting injuried, especially so early in the program.

Friday is squats. cant wait, love squatting! come back soon.

Friday, 10s wave, week 1, squats

i knew today was going to be rough. 5 sets of 10 squats doesnt sound like fun at all. i havent done a set of over 5 in a LONG time. but none the less i was ready to do work.

nutrition

breakfast - 2 scoops protein mixed in about 2-3 cups of 2% organic milk

snack - banana

lunch - 6" club wheat wrap w/ lettuce, tomato, onion, and cucumber ranch, 1 bag og BBQ kettle chips, and 4oz of potatoe salad

pre-training - 3 scoops jack3d

durning training - 2 scoops bcaa and lots of water

post training - 2 scoops protein, 1 scoop waxy maize and about 2-3 cups of whole milk

tonight for dinner im having a cook out with some friends, so i will at least have a steak maybe a few cheeseburgers and hotdogs. and maybe 1-2 beers.

now for the training:

lots of dynamic warm-up, i was sweating before i ever even put the bar on my back. i mimicked a lot of what smitty from the diesel crew did for his warm-up. just got nice and warm and loose to do some work.

box squats:

box was just a hair under parallel

warmed up with 3x5@bar

2x3@135

1x3@175

working sets:

4x10@195, after the 2nd set i put my belt on because my lower back was starting to flare up and i wanted to be able to finish the session so i threw it on. i think it was actually the first time putting on the belt correctly too, which sounds pretty stupid, or maybe it was my form but i felt like i was getting a lot of drive out of the bottom from the belt.

1x15@195, these were rough to say the least. i banged out the first 7 like it was cool though. then i started doing 1 breath from 8-10, then 2 breaths between reps from 10-13, then 3 breaths from 13-15. i could have maybe had a couple more reps, but i think the form would have been shitty, and im pretty happy with 15 so i stuck with it.

GHR:

4x10. nothing special, just GHR.

back extensions on the GHR:

4x12, again nothing special. first set did bw. 2nd with a 8lbs med ball, 3rd with 12lbs kb behind head, 4 just body weight and lots of speed.

decline abs on the GHR:

1x15, 2x10, nothing special just kept legs long to work on hip flexors along with abs.

banded sprints:

im sure you have seen videos where they wrap the bands around something solid and then sprint out to a cone or whatever. well thats what we did to work on the dynamic portion of the lower body. we hooked up 3 strong bands and placed a cone out. if we touched it we moved the cone out 6-12" i was pretty surprised how far i was getting. i was easliy getting about another 2 feet further than my training partner.

we did 3x5 reaching out to the cone. liked these, we will see if they offer anything good to our squat and deadlift in the future.

tomorrow is bench for the last training day of the week for the 10s wave. next week we are still in the 10s wave but move onto a different rep scheme. ill keep it posted when it happens

Saturday, 10s wave, week 1, bench

Today was bench as you can tell from the title. got to the gym first thing in the am, well 8. but thats pretty early for a saturday.
    lots of warm-up for the upper body. had a good sweat going before i even touched the bar.
    did some band traction on my shoulders/elbows/wrists

flat bench:
    3x5-8@bar only
    really worked on the form. i know its only the bar, but i was pulling it apart as hard as i could and moving it as explosively as i could.
    1x5-8@95
    same thing as bar
    took about a 5 min rest before doing my first working set of 135. i also slopped on a bunch of bio-freeze on my elbows. they have been bugging the shit out of me lately. not enough to not bench, but enough for me to do perhab/rehab daily.
    according to the spreadsheet, i was supposed to do 125, but i knew i could get 135 easy. so i just plugged that into the spreadsheet instead.
    4x10@135
    these were all easy, but i think that's part of the program. i would rather start too light than too heavy. they always say check your ego at the door.
    1x15@135
    went with a close grip because i knew i could get at least 15 with a comp grip, all reps were done with a slight pause at the bottom as well. 15 came easy, but i was just running out of gas so i cut it short.

chest-supported rows w/ football bar
    1x10@bar
    1x15@115
    2x15@135
    1x15@115
    nothing special. just pulled with lats and back and tried to not use my arms at all.

dips
    now these always kill my shoulders/elbows. so i tried the first couple sets with a band around the elbows. like how the slingshot would work. but it was being gay. so i just went with eccentric motion only, jumped up to lock out and then did a 5 count to the bottom.
    after the 2 retarded sets with the bands
    3xAMAP

laying leg lifts
    just laid on the ground, hung onto something solid and did leg lifts.
    1x15@bw
    added a band choked on a KB too the movement
    2x10@band
    harder than expected, but thats always a good thing.

then we just played with some medicine ball throws from a seated position to take the leg drive out of it.
    5 overhead, 5 chest pass w/ 10lbs ball x 3
    5 shot-put (single arm), 5 overhead pass (single arm) w/ 4lbs ball x 3

for conditioning we did 100 reps (50 each side) of sledge hammer hits on the tire
    did 20 (per side), rested, then did 10 (per side), then 10, then helped someone move some plyo boxes and crushed my thumb in between boxes and blood just went everywhere. once i got it to stop bleeding i continued with another 20 per side to finish it out.

was a good training session. i start the Intensification phase of the wave on monday with some deadlifts.
    Precision Speed & Strength Development The only TRUE Strength and Conditioning gym in Rochester!
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Following cause i'm interested in the Juggernaut Method. Good luck.
    "Take the slow road - don't be the guy "bulking" and "cutting" and "dieting". All of these things fail. It's about a lifestyle."- Jim Wendler

My Log
    http://last.fm/user/dechrizzle
    http://doomisloomis.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by dechrist View Post
    Following cause i'm interested in the Juggernaut Method. Good luck.
    it will be interesting. only 15 more weeks.
    Precision Speed & Strength Development The only TRUE Strength and Conditioning gym in Rochester!
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Monday, 10s wave, week 2, deadlift

im going to start making these posts shorter, no one wants to read a book everytime i train. haha

deadlift w/ fat gripz
    1x5@95
    1x5@135
    1x5@185
    1x5@235
    1x5@265
    took off fat gripz for last working sets
    2x10@285
    1x13@285
    killer

GHR
    4x10

step ups to 24" platform
    3x10 (10 per leg)

side bends
    1x10@53lbs KB (10 per side)
    2x15@70lbs KB (15 per side)

broad jumps
    4x3@BW
    5x2@20lbs vest
    5x1@BW

double broad jump
    1x1@BW

Wednesday is OHP

def should have taken a deload week before starting this. starting to hurt already.
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

That program seems interesting, good luck with it.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

these workouts seem like real ballbusters haha.
    "Take the slow road - don't be the guy "bulking" and "cutting" and "dieting". All of these things fail. It's about a lifestyle."- Jim Wendler

My Log

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    That program seems interesting, good luck with it.
    thanks brian, im looking forward to seeing the results. hoping to get stronger and lose a bit of BF with all the conditioning stuff at the end of every session.

these workouts seem like real ballbusters haha.
    thats an understatement, the 10 waves is horrible, i dont think ive done reps of 5 or more in over 8 months. cant wait to get into the 5s and 3s wave.
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

You got a spread sheet which is compatible to the 2000 version of excel? The xls one won't work with my old software.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

OHP today, had to go early, was in the gym at 7, forgot my jack3d, forgot my BCAA, forgot my water. obviously this was way to early for me to be in the gym. i felt like i had no energy and i dragged ass, but i got it in.

ohp w/ fat gripz

2x8@bar

1x8@65

1x5@75

1x5@80

2x10@85

1x13@85

banded lat pull downs

used blue bands choked around a bar and sat on a 12" box

2x15

2x15 w/ bands crossing one another

tricep "rock and rolls" w/ kbs

4x10@35s

bizcepz curlzzzz

3x8@18lbs

making sleeves tight and pants wet.

friday is squats, should be horrible.

on a different note, im thinking about hiring an online consultant for my nutrition. its not that i dont know how to eat to lose body fat, its just that im lazy and not self-reliant enough to do it. so i have contacted a pro and we are setting something up and a pretty resonable price for the next 3 months (april 1-june 30) my goal is to drop the body fat and keep strength up. im currently sitting at 260ish and would really like to get to 225-230.
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    You got a spread sheet which is compatible to the 2000 version of excel? The xls one won't work with my old software.
    i will be uploading the 97-2000 excel format when i get home as well for you people with the out of date program.
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Good job on the OHP.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

Good session and good luck on the squats bring a bucket.

My Log

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    Good job on the OHP.
    thanks, it was pretty easy in the grand scheme of things.

Good session and good luck on the squats bring a bucket.
    thanks, its going to suck for sure.
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Seems like some pretty nasty workouts.

Wannabebig Member
    Cool log, following with interest.

Big fan of following this training log. Thanks again for the spreadsheet.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by J_Byrd View Post
    Seems like some pretty nasty workouts.
    they are Byrd, cant wait to get to the 5s and 3s. good luck at your meet next week!

Quote Originally Posted by gazh1983 View Post
    Cool log, following with interest.
    thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Big fan of following this training log. Thanks again for the spreadsheet.
    Thanks Joey, ill try to keep it as interesting as i can. and no problem on the spreadsheet, hope it works for you. if you need anything else or see mistakes on the spreadsheet let me know and i will fix them ASAP.

On another note i questioned Chad over on facebook about training length, as i know you should always keep your training sessions short and sweet, but on the deadlift and squat days i was taking anywhere from 2-2.5 hours to complete everything with stretching and warming up and all that good stuff. anyways here is the Q&A:

Joe Whitney
    on average how long do your training sessions last on the 10s wave? my ohp and bench days move right along in about an hour 15 with warm up and stretching, but my dead and squat days are taking me like 2 hours sometimes 2.5 hours to complete the movement plus the accessory stuff.
    Juggernaut Training Systems
    My lower days were taking an hour and a half. I was also keeping my rest periods to a strict 3 minutes on the main exercise.

-Chad
    with that knowledge i will be sure to enforce a shorter resting period between sets. wish i would have asked after tomorrows squat session. haha.
    Last edited by gmen5681; 03-31-2011 at 03:28 PM.
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

I'm starting the Juggernaut Method this Sunday, and I'm scared haha, bought the E-book, and working on how I want to set up the assistance exercises...
    Currently Juggernaut Method Journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...m-That-Project

"Do today what you will regret not doing tomorrow." ~Me

This is a declaration of war not against others but upon my own self...

Quote Originally Posted by trumayhem View Post
    I'm starting the Juggernaut Method this Sunday, and I'm scared haha, bought the E-book, and working on how I want to set up the assistance exercises...
    for the first cycle im just doing as he has it written in the book, the 2nd go around im going to do 5/3/1 as the assistance like he reccomended. it will be interesting to see which gets better results. good luck though, its HORRIBLE haha. im only on the 2nd week of the 10s wave and im already looking forward to the 8s wave.
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Friday, 10s wave, week 2, Squat

Today was horrible. haha i was keeping the rest times to under 3 mins as CWS suggested. I plan on sending an email to him saying i hate him a little bit. haha. anyways on with the show:

lots of warming up. had my sweat on before i even put the bar on my back, just some simple dynamic movements and stretching. took my 3 scoops of jack3d and had my 2 scoops of modern BCAA for durning training.

box squats right at parrellel:
    2x5@bar
    1x5@95
    1x5@145
    1x5@180
    1x5@205
    2x10@225 (was supposed to be 220, but i didnt feel like messing with that many plates)
    1x13@225 (EDIT: after watching the video that is uploading as we speak, i got it for 14, not 13!)

i told myself while i was putting on my belt i was getting this for 13, and therefore i did. the first 7 were fast and very powerful, and then i started to slow down a bit. i video'd the last set and will have it uploaded when i get home.

back extensions on the GHR
    1x10@BW
    1x10@10 (plate sat behind my head)
    2x10@25
    1x10@bw

just ended the workout with some sprints.
    4x25 yards

post workout meal was just 2 scoops protein, 1 scoop waxy maize, and 5g of creatine

i will do some abs tonight to make up for the lack of them in my training session. will just do 5x20 with a band around the door. probably an average band.

heres the video:

i also start working with Clint Darden over on elitefts.com (pro strongman) on sunday to try and get me to 230, tired of being so fat, but too lazy to design my own diet. haha, im sitting around 260 morning/267 evening

tomorrow is bench, and then only 1 more week. cant wait to deload.
    Last edited by gmen5681; 04-07-2011 at 06:20 AM.
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Saturday, 10s wave, week 2, bench

Today was bench. woke up had a protein shake with some rolled oats in whole milk. took my jack3d and prepared my BCAA drink for during training.

Warming up, got my sweat on, also just put a ton of bio-freeze on my elbows. they are sore as hell.
    *side-note* i ordered those rubber band things from ironmind, hope that it helps with the sore elbows a bit.

Bench
    3x5@bar
    1x5@95
    1x5@125
    1x5@140
    2x10@150
    1x13@150

DB rows
    1x10@35
    3x10@53
    1x15@53

4 brd close grip
    2x30@135
    1x20@135
    each rep was paused on the board.

then did some man stuff
    10 battle rope slams w/ 3" rope
    5 per side sledge hammer slams on tire
    5 per side sledge hammer slams on tire sideways (swung like a baseball bat)
    swinging left handed made me feel slightly retarded.
    did this for 5 rounds, with minimum rest between rounds
    the last round i did the battle rope slams for 20 instead of 10, everything else was the same.

i then laid outside on the nice and cool concrete for a solid 5 mins, felt like i was gonna puke.

1 more week of this 10s wave horribleness then a DELOAD!!! cant wait.

post workout i had 2 scoops protein, 1 scoop waxy maize in whole milk.
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook