The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Best Pain Reliever for Sore Muscles, Inflamation...

Just wondered what most people are taking for sore joints and muscles after a workout?

Do you use something just to relieve pain or something to help with inflamation?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I bet age plays a factor but for me I do best with recovery if I take in enough protein afterward and in general get enough to eat. Muscle soreness usually isn't bad enough to take pain meds. When I broke my toe recently I used Aleve and it seemed to do a good job.

edit: for sore joints I think a lot of people take fish oil. I tried them but didn't notice much of a difference. Then again I was 24 so maybe for someone older it would make a bigger difference.
    Last edited by killxswitch; 04-12-2011 at 11:35 AM.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Muscle soreness is to be expected, if you can't take that you are in the wrong sport....
    Sore joints suck. I use fish oil, glucosamine, and lots of ice.... then more ice..... then more ice... get the point?

As far as recovery tools to flush everything out I do contrasting showers, lots of foam rolling, some deeper tissue stuff with a lacrosse ball and the rumble roller, lighter workouts and some light cardio to flush everything, and occasional deep tissue massage.... my regular massage therapist is 3 hours away and worth the drive, she used to be a brick layer...

Then just good nutrition like the poster above mentioned. Glutamine, protein, and if my joints get achy I'll get a good sodium bloat going and it can help sometimes.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Check out ETS from Atlarge. I never have that achey feeling when im on that. For me wheat ups my imflamation. Check you diet. Do some daily mobility work too.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

A lot of static stretching after a workout is a great way to help the muscles realign and recover. And if you're really sore (like painfully sore), or have an injury, then ice the spot for intervals of 20 minutes on and off until you're satisfied.

If you're injured you should do 2-3 rotations of on/off, but it doesn't sound like you're injured so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Here's a good site for stretches and other fitness related topics: http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com...exercises.html
    Last edited by colinS3; 04-13-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    Musles I personaly wouldnt take anything for, Just eat enough and eat well. Foam roll and use a tennis ball on tough areas to loosen things up. As far as joints go, use fish oil as part of a regular regiment not just when they hurt prevention sorta thing. Another thing is most of my joint pasin is due to tight muascles pulling on tendons and what not. so when you roll look for painfull spots or lumps and work tthose out. Deep tissue is good.

Wannabebig Member
    DMSO

Wannabebig Member
    For me I find that if I up my carb intake for the next 2-3 meals after a heavy training session it really helps with DOMS. Nothing crazy as far as the carbs go, mabye around 100 grams more. Aleve seems to help alot when I am extra sore, like after any leg workout for me.

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    Muscle soreness is to be expected, if you can't take that you are in the wrong sport....
    Sore joints suck. I use fish oil, glucosamine, and lots of ice.... then more ice..... then more ice... get the point?

As far as recovery tools to flush everything out I do contrasting showers, lots of foam rolling, some deeper tissue stuff with a lacrosse ball and the rumble roller, lighter workouts and some light cardio to flush everything, and occasional deep tissue massage.... my regular massage therapist is 3 hours away and worth the drive, she used to be a brick layer...

Then just good nutrition like the poster above mentioned. Glutamine, protein, and if my joints get achy I'll get a good sodium bloat going and it can help sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Check out ETS from Atlarge. I never have that achey feeling when im on that. For me wheat ups my imflamation. Check you diet. Do some daily mobility work too.
    Yes and yes! These two replies hit the nail on the head in my opinion.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    I take ibuprofen occasionally for muscle strains, and in severe cases will use Aleve (naproxen - I do not take it for more than one week). If you are looking for permanent solutions then I would do some stretching, icing, and consider natural anti-inflammatory supplements such as ETS from AtLarge Nutrition.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Other than ETS which I currently use, Myogenix joint and tissue repair is a very good alternative. I know guys who swear by it.
    Last edited by Brian C; 04-17-2011 at 12:07 PM.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Dr. Subtotal
    fish oil and glucosamine/chondrotin x 1000. Also light movement throughout the day will help with soreness in the hips and lower back.

Also, when I began lowering my intake of grains and starches and increasing my intake of fruits and veggies, I noticed alot less inflammation. Broscience.
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...