The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Box squat help, re positioning feet whilst on box

Hi all, been lifitng a while though new to PL so bear with me.

Been follwing a WS basic template and have made excellent progress so far, but the other ME day I and my training partner picked up that whilst on the box immedialtey prior to exploding up with the hip flexors and traps, I inadvertently reposition my feet, in order to get better leverage.
    I still got the weights up, though Im assuming this loss of intial tension could only be a bad thing...

Any ideas why or is this just a newbie thing?

Many thanks and great forum!
    Last edited by gazh1983; 03-27-2011 at 12:26 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Its really easy to completely sit onto the box and then rock back onto your feet. If you do that, then while your on the box you could adjust your feet. The problem is that you arent really training your squat, your are just finding a way to use the box to lift more weight. An anology I think i heard Joe Defranco use is that if you were standing on a scale and weighed 220, then box squatted down to the box, the scale should still read close to 220. Another one was that you should touch the box like it was covered with spikes (Jeremy Frey said something to that effect). Either way dont adjust your feet while on the box, it shows your are box squatting incorrectly.

You have weak hams, glutes, and or hips and are trying to compensate by placing the emphasis more on your quads. Lighten the weight and force yourself to do it right.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    You have weak hams, glutes, and or hips and are trying to compensate by placing the emphasis more on your quads. Lighten the weight and force yourself to do it right.
    Thanks that's exaclty what I was looking for. My hams are weak compared to my quads, a legacy of break knee squatting!

Stop using bad techniuque, then worry about weaknesses.

Try lowering the box as well.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    Stop using bad techniuque, then worry about weaknesses.

Try lowering the box as well.
    Cool, the box is below parallel by a few inches, should have stated that. The weight is way below what I non-box squat. These PL exercises are really humbling lol.

I think the issue is bad form: NEVER REPOSITION YOUR FEET. You must sit back, not down, in a Good MOrning controlled stance. When you do this, your shins are at a 45š angle with the floor.
    To get back up, donīt move your feet, the movement starts at the head, then the chest, and last by exploding your glutes and posteriors tight and up.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko_El_Piko View Post
    I think the issue is bad form: NEVER REPOSITION YOUR FEET. You must sit back, not down, in a Good MOrning controlled stance. When you do this, your shins are at a 45š angle with the floor.
    To get back up, donīt move your feet, the movement starts at the head, then the chest, and last by exploding your glutes and posteriors tight and up.
    Thanks man, I shall slowly incorporate all these points starting tommorow.

I've never been a fan of deload box squats, but I use the box almost everysquat session. The sit on it like it's covered in spikes pretty much explains how I use it. It is simply to make me sit back and not get into the habit of breaking at the knee 1st. The only other reason I use it is to imprint being at depth and feeling that. In a meet when I hit the spot where I would normally feel the box just touch my glutes I explode back up. This way my comp squat technique and my box squat technique are exactly alike. No bad habits to break. I make an effort not to have any weight on the box; just feel it and go. Good luck!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Wannabebig Member
    Cheers guys. I've decided I'm going to drop DE day for a week or three and just really hammer my hams.. they are weak as hell compared to my quads. RDL's, pullthroughs and GHR (on a lat machine) are the order of the day.

Wannabebig Member
    FWIW I really lowered the weight today and just worked on technique and I box squatted fine, no repositioning. What I did was imagine the spikes on the box trick (thanks mastermonster) and I also pushed my feet outwards after driving up with the head and traps which made a big difference.\

Also, I was still breaking at the knees a little.
    Last edited by gazh1983; 03-30-2011 at 03:26 PM.