The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

700 bench attempt

Was ugly, the most weight I have tried to handle. Not really sure why my bar travel is uneven. Any thoughts will be welcomed. On a bright note, I am finally getting the hang of using a bench shirt!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_cWmnmL5Qs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

2 quick tips, keep your air in for the whole lift. Exhaling and grunting while pressing is very counterproductive. Also, push your belly up when the weight come down. Looks like you flattened out a bit.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Good work taking that for a ride...... every new 100# is a huge stepping stone.

Can you get that same arch with your feet not tucked so far under you? That could help with your stability issues..... or it could just be lockout strength causing problems on top.....

Either way, great job giving that weight a ride.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

[QUOTE=vdizenzo;2454243]2 quick tips, keep your air in for the whole lift. Exhaling and grunting while pressing is very counterproductive. Also, push your belly up when the weight come down. Looks like you flattened out a bit.[/QUOTE

Thanks, Trying to keep the air in is going to be a very hard habit for me to break. Any suggestions for helping stop the flattening out?

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    Good work taking that for a ride...... every new 100# is a huge stepping stone.

Can you get that same arch with your feet not tucked so far under you? That could help with your stability issues..... or it could just be lockout strength causing problems on top.....

Either way, great job giving that weight a ride.
    I am working on the arch now, its a problem in my bench I feel like. I cant get much of an arch with my feet foward, but trying to build it. Any suggestions on how to improve it? I also agree that I need some more lockout power to get over the 700 mark.

hey byrd, try using a pvc pipe under your lower back. start with a 3" and keep working your way up.
    Precision Speed & Strength Development The only TRUE Strength and Conditioning gym in Rochester!
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    hey byrd, try using a pvc pipe under your lower back. start with a 3" and keep working your way up.
    Good Idea...thanks

There is no try as far as holding your air in, it's either do or do not? If you want to be succesful, you learn how to do. It really is that easy. As far as flattening out, make sure to push your belly up to the ceiling on the descent of the lift.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    For the arch I like to have the spotter grab the bench just above the lifters shoulders. Then the lifter gets their feet to a spot where they can drive back, pushing their shoulders in to the spotter's forearms. Play around with foot position until you find the winner. Or just concentrate on pushing your feet forward ( the same motion as driving your shoulders back in to the spotters wrists) from where they're at now...... it could just be a lack of leg drive.

Either way, good luck.... and it's just a suggestion. It might not work out any better for you than what you are already doing, but it could be worth a try.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vdizenzo View Post
    2 quick tips, keep your air in for the whole lift. Exhaling and grunting while pressing is very counterproductive. Also, push your belly up when the weight come down. Looks like you flattened out a bit.
    Nice to hear tips like this from someone as experienced and successful as you. It might be common knowledge to most guys on here but some of us noobs like to see this. I cant bench 300 but will try this on my ME bench. Why is it that you should keep the air in? Would this also carry over to say a ME squat too? Thanks for any reply.

Quote Originally Posted by JJD975 View Post
    Nice to hear tips like this from someone as experienced and successful as you. It might be common knowledge to most guys on here but some of us noobs like to see this. I cant bench 300 but will try this on my ME bench. Why is it that you should keep the air in? Would this also carry over to say a ME squat too? Thanks for any reply.
    Holding your breath while lifting is called the Valsalva Maneuver. T'his increases intra-abdominal pressure and provides more support for the back while lifting. This will lend itself to greater stability. Regardless of whether you are lying under the weight, have it on your shoulders, or are trying to lift it off the ground, being stable is paramount to a successful lift.

A thought on the uneven bar extention. Two of my guys often fail to get their feet even (one slightly in front of the other). This will cause your body to shift slightly (roll) due to the uneven leg drive that will result. The same thing you did is what happens to their BP when they do this. Get your handoff guy to double check your feet til you get used to just feeling when it's right. Could be something else, but this is worth looking into. Good luck and very strong press!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    A thought on the uneven bar extention. Two of my guys often fail to get their feet even (one slightly in front of the other). This will cause your body to shift slightly (roll) due to the uneven leg drive that will result. The same thing you did is what happens to their BP when they do this. Get your handoff guy to double check your feet til you get used to just feeling when it's right. Could be something else, but this is worth looking into. Good luck and very strong press!
    I think you maybe hitting on something there also.

Glad to help!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)