The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Please help with deadlift alternative

Ok so i just started doing the HCT-12 program and in there for the hip dominant exercise is the deadlift along with rack pull and romanian deadlift. I've never really done the deadlift before but i do know the right technique. Today i was doing it and it totally killed my lower back. And i also dont feel it in my legs its all in my back. i was wondering if i could do hack squats as an alternAtive?

Please Help, thank you

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    No, learn to deadlift.

The deadlift is supposed to work the back. Get used to it and it will pay off.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Keep deadlifting.

When you first start to do the deadlift you're bound to feel some lower back soreness, especially if you start out too heavy. You may have ramped up the weight too quickly because you thought it was odd that you weren't feeling much of a workout in your legs. Try to lower the weight significantly and work up very slowly from there. If your back can't even handle a significant decrease in weight then just don't deadlift for a week or however long it takes for the pain to fade away. You could do other lower back exercises in the meantime, but if it bothers your back too much then rest is the key.

I made a similar mistake when I started to deadlift. I had to lay off the deadlifts for a week for the sharp pain in my lower back to fade. It's annoying but decreasing the weight and working up slowly is going to really help you in the long run.

Edit: I'm not sure about too many alternate exercises for the deadlift. Maybe good mornings or hyperextensions? Those hit the lower back pretty well and deal with less weight. I'm sure the other members will have more suggestions.
    Last edited by colinS3; 03-30-2011 at 06:29 PM.

I agree with the others - keep deadlifting.

It WILL hit your back hard, that's its job. If it stays to sore to deadlift again a few sessions later, don't deadlift that session. Do something else.

Then go back to them when your back feels less sore. It gets better with time.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jschorp View Post
    Ok so i just started doing the HCT-12 program and in there for the hip dominant exercise is the deadlift along with rack pull and romanian deadlift. I've never really done the deadlift before but i do know the right technique. Today i was doing it and it totally killed my lower back. And i also dont feel it in my legs its all in my back. i was wondering if i could do hack squats as an alternAtive?

Please Help, thank you
    Hack Squats are a quad-dominant movement.

If you do not want to perform standard deadlifts then I would recommend SLDL's, Leg Press, or Rack Pulls.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Hack Squats are a quad-dominant movement.

If you do not want to perform standard deadlifts then I would recommend SLDL's, Leg Press, or Rack Pulls.
    Rack pulls are probably better for HCT-12. You are already crushing your quads with squats and the beginning of the deadlift is basically all quad. Rack pulls take the quad portion out of it, but give you the rest of the benefits of a normal deadlift.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Rack pulls are probably better for HCT-12. You are already crushing your quads with squats and the beginning of the deadlift is basically all quad. Rack pulls take the quad portion out of it, but give you the rest of the benefits of a normal deadlift.
    I agree, although it can also depend on the squat stance.

For hypertrophy purposes I would recommend a narrow-stance squat or Front Squat (up to shoulder width stance) for the quad-dominant movement, and then SLDL or Rack Pull for your hamstring-dominant movement.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com