Thread: 5/3/1 Legit?

Wannabebig New Member

5/3/1 Legit?

ill be starting 5/3/1 mon. ive heard it is great for raw strength. im trying to also add decent mass. will this be easy ass long as my diet is sufficient? if not what supplemental lifts should be incorporated to get the results i want? any input will be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
    eat BIG! lift BIG! sleep BIG! BE BIG! Hard work pays off!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakata. View Post
    ill be starting 5/3/1 mon. ive heard it is great for raw strength. im trying to also add decent mass. will this be easy ass long as my diet is sufficient? if not what supplemental lifts should be incorporated to get the results i want? any input will be greatly appreciated. thanks guys.
    I would do the triumvirate, that way you are getting enough frequency on all your body parts. It is a program already designed with recovery in mind, so you don't need to be shoveling down insane amounts of food to be able to make progress on it. As long as you are slightly above maintenance, you will be fine.

I would lay it out like this:

3 days per week, A-B-C-D

Pick ONE exercise per body part...I am just listing more than 1 as an example. Do 1 to 3 sets of 8-10 reps on each one.

Upper 1:
    Bench 5/3/1
    Shoulder variation
    , whatever u want...standing/seated BB press, seated DB press, lateral raises...whatever you want.
    Pullup variation...pronated, supinated, or neutral.
    Rowing variation...db rows, barbell rows, seated rows
    Optional, tricep movement

Lower 1:
    Deads 5/3/1
    Quad movement
    ...pick one. Squats, leg press, lunges, front squats, etc
    Ab movement
    Calf movement
    Optional Bicep movement

Upper 2:
    Military Press 5/3/1
    Chest movement...bench, db bench, dips
    Pullup variation...pronated, supinated, or neutral.
    Rowing variation...db rows, barbell rows, seated rows
    Optional, tricep movement

Lower 2:
    Squats 5/3/1
    Hamstring movement...lying/seated leg curls, sumo leg press, SLDLs, good mornings, etc. If doing SLDLS or Good Mornings, keep the weight light and the reps high so you don;t burn out for next deadlifting session.
    Ab movement
    Calf movement
    Optional Bicep movement

Boring but big can also work, but it really needs to be a 4 day a week program. If doing the 3 day on boring but big, the frequency just isn't high enough. You will only be hitting a given body part once every 9 days. With the triumvirate, you are hitting each body part TWICE per 9 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakata. View Post
    The 5/3/1 program seems to work quite well for slow and steady strength gains on compound movements, specifically 'raw' powerlifting. If you are looking to increase your mass/bodyweight then diet will be the #1 factor, and you may also want to look at modifying the program since the standard 5/3/1 is more of a 'strength' than 'mass' program due to the volume and intensity.

You may want to look into 'Boring But Big' variation - it is a program that is based off of a 5/3/1 but incorporates additional volume / accessory work for hypertrophy purposes.
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 03-31-2011 at 09:45 AM.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com