Thread: 1st Strongman Show is in the books

1st Strongman Show is in the books

Did pretty well, finished 6th out of 12. Was 1.5 points from 5th. Thought it was solid since I had never touched any of the equipment before other than farmers a few times. I was also under the impression that it was like brand new people in the novice class but I guess you stay in the novice until you win a show, which is cool. I think there was 4 of us who had never competed before, and I finished ahead of all the other rookies at least, lol. I had a slip up on the farmers that cost me 5th place but oh well. Was a great experience.

1st event was the axle with tires clean and press(just had to clean the 1st rep) with 180lbs. Time limit was 45 seconds. I could clean that right up so I didn't have to worry about the continental clean which was nice. Ended up grinding out 11 reps, couldn't lock the 12th out.Tied me for 4th on that event, which was awesome. My max gym pr was 225x1 so getting 11 with 180 was awesome.

2nd event was farmers walk with 200lbs for 40 feet. Had a clean lift and was going great but got I got a little to greedy and tried to go faster at the end. I was neck in neck with the guy who ended up 3rd in that event who did a 6.7something on it. So if I would of just been patient I would of ended up around that time and 4th again, but I was greedy and tried to pick my feet up to much. Ended up spilling about 4 feet from the line. Embarrassing, lol. Got right back up and finished with a time of 11.3something which put me at like 9th or 10th. Really hurt my points total.

3rd event was the axle dead with tires. Weight was 340lbs. Time limit was 60 seconds. You had to wait for a down and up command, so touch and gos werent allowed. The axle was knurled which helped a bunch, wasn't expecting that. I figured my grip would give out before my legs/back did but it didn't. I got 14 reps and ran out of time, I should of worked a little faster because I had probably 1 or 2 left in me. This tied me for 4th in the event. The winner had 17 so I wasn't that far off.

4th event was the yoke with 400lbs plus whatever the yoke weighed for 40 feet. After my stumble on the farmers I decided to play it safe, I should of pushed it a little harder but oh well. I don't remember my time but I know I was like 7th or 8th.

5th event Atlas Stones to a 49" platform. 60 second time limit. Stones were 175, 200, 225, 240, 265lbs. Was really nervous about this event. The guys who went before me only got 2 until the guy right before me got 4. I got the 1st 3 up very easy and the 4th wasn't much of a struggle. Had 30 seconds to get that 5th up, I got close but just couldn't finish it off. Got it lapped easy but just couldn't finish. My form just wasn't there. I was basically trying to curl it up, lol. I was able to muscle up 1st 4 but couldn't quite muscle up the last one. With some form practice I would of had it, lol. 3 guys ended up getting the 5th stone up. My time to the 4th stone was the fastest of the guys who got 4 so I ended up 4th in this event.

Had an absolute blast. I'm going to start training events on Saturdays down in Aurora at Colorado Pro. Next event is in mid-may, can't wait. Met Brian Shaw, guy is so massive, but he is super cool. He tried to give me some pointers on the stones and whatnot. His hands are huge.

Super dark picture, my phones camera sucks
    Last edited by barryisawinnah; 04-03-2011 at 09:19 AM.

Great job on your 1st one! Sounds like it was a very competitive meet!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Nice job at the contest, it sounds like you had a good time.

There is some gray area with regard to the Novice class - some promoters will only let individuals enter who have never done a strongman contests but others will let individuals enter who have not previously taken top three in a Novice class. The reason that there is some flexibility is that in some cases the weights for the open division may not be manageable for everyone and the promoters want to encourage more people to enter.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Garage Lifter
    great job, sounds like you had a great time
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Wannabebig Member
    Sounds like you did well and had a good time. Also sounds like with a little more experience you will do much better. Congrats.

thanks guys

also a big thanks to Tom, you were a huge help

Very cool. Congrats on having fun and doing well.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by barryisawinnah View Post
    thanks guys

also a big thanks to Tom, you were a huge help
    Glad that I could help. In your write-up I noticed that the farmers got away from you, I actually mentioned that in the other thread about staying under control because the exact same thing happened to me in one of my first contests (tried to go too fast and ended up wiping out halfway through the event).

Maybe you can start up a training journal here? Would be good to follow your progress during your journey into strongman.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Glad that I could help. In your write-up I noticed that the farmers got away from you, I actually mentioned that in the other thread about staying under control because the exact same thing happened to me in one of my first contests (tried to go too fast and ended up wiping out halfway through the event).

Maybe you can start up a training journal here? Would be good to follow your progress during your journey into strongman.
    yeah it wouldnt be tough at all. Starting 5/3/1 this week with events down in Denver on Saturdays most week.

Yup, you warned me about the farmers walks, but I just couldn't help myself. Really sucked that I was so close to the finish line too, lol