The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Finally able to squat again, advice much appreciated.

After some severe issues, I am finally able to squat again and do so quite comfortably.

In the past, ym squatting has been far to quad dominant, breaking with the knees etc. Whilst I sitll want to remain true to the Olympic atg squat, I have been working on popping back more and getting much more ham/glute in. My posterior is severely underdeveloped and I am working at fixing that.

308x5
    Video

330x5
    Video

330x5 again
    Video
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

nice lifts mate. You know i thought that's what gyms in Adelaide probably look like!!! LOL
    28yrs old, 6"1
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 186lb | 226lb | 235lb
    Squat: 180lb | 273lb | 360lb
    Dead: 215lb | 319lb | 405lb
    MY LOG ~ 313 DAYS

What were the severe issues Fuzzy?

On the first set it looks like your knees are bowing outward. If you pause and start the video rapidly as you descend, you can see the knee shoot forward in the hole - that's probably fine, but if you are having knee issues and you are targeting the posterior chain then probably not fine.

You might consider switching to a low bar squat w. a wider stance as an accessory exercise.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    What were the severe issues Fuzzy?

On the first set it looks like your knees are bowing outward. If you pause and start the video rapidly as you descend, you can see the knee shoot forward in the hole - that's probably fine, but if you are having knee issues and you are targeting the posterior chain then probably not fine.

You might consider switching to a low bar squat w. a wider stance as an accessory exercise.
    Had issues both above the knee and below the knee. I beleive the issue is an extreme weakness in the posterior and so far the only physio I've had success with has been doing a huge amount of glute activation work which has helped immensely. I still intend to Olympic lift which is why I'm hesitant to widen up and low bar. I've added a huge amount of SLDL, GM's and hip thrusts to my weekly training volume where as before i did them maybe once a week.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I still intend to Olympic lift which is why I'm hesitant to widen up and low bar. I've added a huge amount of SLDL, GM's and hip thrusts to my weekly training volume where as before i did them maybe once a week.
    I'm only suggesting it as a temporary measure. There would be an adjustment period as you regroove to a low-bar and again when you switch back, but it certainly wouldn't ruin your OL. I would also suggest slowing down your descent and working out any inconsistencies you might have from rep to rep until your issues are resolved or at least alleviated. JMO.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I'm only suggesting it as a temporary measure. There would be an adjustment period as you regroove to a low-bar and again when you switch back, but it certainly wouldn't ruin your OL. I would also suggest slowing down your descent and working out any inconsistencies you might have from rep to rep until your issues are resolved or at least alleviated. JMO.
    Point taken. I'll have a play with low bar tonight, never could get it to feel right...

For what it's worth, these are some morning front squats

Video
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 04-03-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Sensei,

Is it possible for Fuzzy to use a high bar position while widening the stance as an accessory movement? I know that a Low bar puts the body in a position to lift more weight once the stance is widened, but assuming that Fuzzy is flexible enough could a high bar position still be used?
    Last edited by Cards; 04-04-2011 at 05:47 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

I think your last set of back squats look fine. The forward knee travel isn't all that great. I've been squatting with a similar style recently and really like it. As long as I push my knees out hard, I still end up with a substantial amount of posterior chains work. I think your plan sounds solid, it will just take a while to bring deficiencies into better balance. It took you training for a while a certain way to develop these "imbalances" and thus they will take a while to correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    Sensei,

Is it possible for Fuzzy to use a high bar position while widening the stance as an accessory movement? I know that a Low bar puts the body in a position to lift more weight once the stance is widened, but assuming that Fuzzy is flexible enough could a high bar position still be used?
    Yes, sure. He could do some high-bar or even Manta-Ray squats with a ultra-wide stance stopping at about parallel - and I've recommended that and very wide stance GMs to people before. No one likes these movements though - they feel like someone is ripping your legs off you like a frog in a French restaurant.

You're right - those might be better choices, but imho Fuzz could use some time away from OL squats.