Thread: No Shoes?

No Shoes?

I've read a bunch of articles that have pushed for doing squats and deadlifts without shoes. I've even read ones that argue running without shoes is better for your body because of less impact. What do you guys know about this (the lifting side of it, not the running)? Citing other articles or just your own experiences would be fine, I just want to know a little bit more about this.

no shoes here. Shoes are fine if that have a flat sole. Most running shoes (shoxs, etc) have elevated heels which is what makes them a bad choice.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Personal preference I think. I like to wear shoes though.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

House Lannister
    Converse or Vibrams.

For a while I used a pair of skate shoes for squats and deadlifts, but recently bought a new pair of Jordans. I do like the skate shoes for deadlifts, but for squats I could care less. I did try the "no shoes" thing, didn't like it.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

studies are showing data that suggests people would basically be better off if they never wore shoes.

does this vaguely apply to lifting, yes. i don't think it's as relevant here as it is with any of the more high-mobility sports, though.
    Last edited by Dgro; 04-04-2011 at 08:04 PM.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Cman View Post
    I've read a bunch of articles that have pushed for doing squats and deadlifts without shoes. I've even read ones that argue running without shoes is better for your body because of less impact. What do you guys know about this (the lifting side of it, not the running)? Citing other articles or just your own experiences would be fine, I just want to know a little bit more about this.
    I typically prefer shoes for squatting, although I do like to deadlift in socks. Not only does lifting in socks put you closer to the ground (shorter ROM) but it also feels a lot more stable for pulling. For squats I usually like to have a bit of a heel and mostly squat in my Olympic shoes.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

When I broke my toe I couldn't wear shoes comfortably, so I tried lifting in socks and for squat and deadlift I like it. I am still deciding what to do now that it is mostly healed. I like no shoes for upright movements but not for bench. And I broke a toenail a week ago when I caught it on my power rack. Life is hard when you're clumsy.

Interesting responses. For lifting it does seem like more of a preference thing. I'm probably going to get a pair of vibram five fingers once my current shoes need to be replaced so I can see how it feels. Those probably do the best at simulating bare feet.

Edit: killxswitch, that just sounds painful. I hate breaking toenails.
    Last edited by colinS3; 04-04-2011 at 08:53 PM.

Vibrams are great. Obviously you could lift or run in them, but they're also excellent for outdoors stuff like hiking, rock climbing, etc
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

No shoes lifter here. I've been going shoe-less for just about as long as I've been squatting and deadlifting, mostly because I've always had basketball or running shoes. Gotta say, it's pretty fun walking around the gym in my socks, no one seems notice or say anything if they do.

I wouldn't mind squatting in shoes though, just to see how it works for me. Gotta find a pair of flat-soled shoes that actually fit how wide my feet are, first.
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

I squat and deadlift in socks. Flat sole shoes like Chuck Taylors never really felt comfortable for me.

House Lannister
    Don't buy the VIbram Sprints. They blow. Trust me.

I noticed a difference when I started squatting in just my socks.

But then the gym staff told me to put the rest of my clothes back on too.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

I have the vibram bikila. Great shoes. I wear them almost every day for one thing or another. I do all Olympic lifting in them. I don't run in them yet though, because it takes a different technique (POSE). the bikila model are a nice mix of freedom/mobility and protection for the foot bottoms.

They're also GREAT for playing drums.
    Last edited by Patz; 04-05-2011 at 03:54 AM.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

I think it has more to do with mechanics than preference. Try to do an air squat with running sneakers on, then try with either a flat soled shoe (skate shoe/ converse) or barefoot. I am pretty sure you'll be more stable at the bottom in the latter. You want to have a solid/flat platform. Squishy running shoes are not going to give you the stability you need especially with higher weight. Even though olympic lifting shoes have heels, the soles are made of a solid material to assist in stability. I can usually tell who the serious lifters are in the gym by the shoes they're wearing....

Here is an article on training shoe choice. After reading this, I picked up a pair of skating sneakers and have been pleased wit the results.

http://www.iamunscared.com/tag/training-shoes/
    Last edited by mike mcgee; 04-05-2011 at 07:06 AM.
    m/37/5'10/194

Back Squat 435lbs
    Shoulder Press 195lbs
    Deadlift 505lbs
    Bench Press 315lb

Converse Chucks seem like a cheap quality option but they are very narrow. Anyone know if they make wide versions?

Wannabebig New Member
    I just switched from minimal running shoes to the flat soled Adidas Sambas(Not a Chucks fan). I never felt that wobbly before but I definitely felt the difference immediately on squats and deads. Glad I made the switch. Plus I think they look pretty good.

Garage Lifter
    I prefer barefoot but use Vibrams occassionally. I also have OLY shoes that I use for front squats and those movements but still prefer barefoot whenever possible.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

almost forgot. Innov8 shoes are getting really popular with the crossfit crowd. they even come in different weights. they're super light and good for lifting, but you can also do some running in them, which benefits us because we might have oly lifts mixed with running in the same timed workout.

check out the Innov8's. they pretty hard to get, though.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Once track is over I think I'm going to get the vibram komodo sport. It seems like a really good shoe for any sort of activity (even in somewhat slippery conditions) while at the same time simulating the barefoot mechanics. Lifting, running, and even going through my day in those should be fine.

I bought Chucks a couple months after I started lifting and never looked back. The sole is so thin I can feel the floor perfect... so any weight transfers I feel etc. I love em.
    "There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy. " - Mark Rippetoe

My 5/3/1 journal

Vivobarefoot also has some great flat soled shoes. I bought a pair a while back after reading about how much better they are for your feet.

I've always been a shoeless or Olympic shoes lifter because of the increased stability, but now I just lift in the vivo barefoots. They are basically the same thing as the vibrams but look a lot less weird to me. They are a bit on the pricey side but I waited for a $60 off coupon and got them for basically the same price as the Vibrams.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"