Thread: Can i get alittle advice on a short term goal with my long term goal in mind??

Wannabebig Member

Can i get alittle advice on a short term goal with my long term goal in mind??

I'm going to keep this simple. Two trips planned... May and Late June.

May trip.... Goals are to be lean and in good beach shape.
    June trip .... 185lbs and as lean as possible.

Basically between now and june 24th i want to gain 10lbs but stay as lean as possible.
    Diet is going to be key and this is what i want help with.

Currently I'm at 175 and i've just been maintaining.

Workouts are 3 days a week in the gym (back/bi's , chest/tris , legs/shoulders)
    p90x 3 days a week. Cardio based. (plyo, core synergistics, cardio)
    The p90x thing is a way to keep my wife motivated.. she's on a roll with it and it gives me a chance to git some cardio in and spend time with her.

Diet.. pretty straight forward

Meal 1 : 4-6 Egg whites boiled. ~30g protien shake
    Meal 2 : Usually beef jerkey or a small grilled chicken breast something with 20-30g protien
    Meal 3 : I'm on the road for work so its usually Subway or quizno's
    Meal 4 : Shake and 4-6 boiled egg whites
    Meal 5 : Supper usually consiting of Steak, Chicken, Tuna or Porchops. Mostly grilled with veggies (I stay away from pastas and rice as much as possible)
    Meal 6 : Either eggs again or another shake. Depends on how hungry i am.

My diet is simple and not strict as of this point. I need help getting it dialed in for my goals and advice on how to accomplish both goals in the best manner possible.

Thanks

How long have you been weight training? If you're a complete newb, find your maintenance calorie #, eat 4-500 kcal/day more than that (maybe a 40p/40c/20f ratio) and bust your ass in the weight room. If you're insistent on doing all that cardio, eat 800-1000 kcal/day over maintenance. And (and this is just my preference) do a push/pull program instead of what you're planning. Day 1 could be horizontal push/pull, day 2 legs, day 3 vertical push/pull. You might ratchet down your 10lb lean mass goal too because that's probably not possible. All things being perfect a half pound of muscle per month is a more realistic goal, but that'll come with some fat gain as well. So, gaining 10lb in 12 weeks is possible, but with your best effort it'll still be mostly fat gain.

Wannabebig Member
    I've been lifting for ~4 years now.. 2.5 years steadily. First year and a half was on and off. I like to set my goals high.. gives me motivation to strive to reach them. I don't get upset if i don't. I just get upset if i settle for less and realize i could have acheived more.

That being said. I'm not as concerned about gaining muscle as i am staying more fit. The 10lbs is the long term goal. If it comes with added fat i'd rather take it slower. Seems like 500 above maintaince is were i need to be. Thanks for the help.