Thread: Cant seem to lose fat.

Wannabebig Member

Cant seem to lose fat.

I have been working out now for 4 months and I still see no fat loss. I have been on a much healthier diet with lots of grilled chicken, brown rice, veggies, fish, when I do eat beef its lean ground beef. If I want a snack its a serving of cottage cheese, a banana or a handful of pecans. I start my day with 2 eggs and a bowl of oatmeal. I did P90x from January to March and now my workout is http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...n-proportions/ with the p90 ab ripper after lifting, I also walk on the treadmill 45 minutes after every workout and on Tuesday and Thursdays I do a HIIT workout of walking 5 minutes, sprint 30 seconds, then walk 1 minute repeated 10 times then a 5 minute walking cool down. I have definitely gained muscle with all this working out because I have gained 15 lbs and I feel "tighter" but I have seen absolutely no fat loss. I even tried Hydroxycut and I saw no change. Should I step up my cardio even more cause I doubt I can eat much healthier. Any advice will help and if you have any questions please ask. Thanks

Wannabebig Member
    Maybe you are eating too much or not enough. Hitting the right about of calories can play a huge role. Since you are trying to lose weight, you need to be cutting calories.

Also, it looks like you are overdoing it when all the workouts you have going on. You only need 1. Modify it to what you want, and go from there. Gaining muscle is great, but only if that is what you are wanting to do. Honestly, if I was you, I'd cut fat and then try and gain muscle. I did it, and I've lost 50 lbs. I'm not as strong as I use to be, but I'm working on that. I can say though, I look better, feel better, and I am making great progress.

Thats the best advice I can really give. Maybe some of the other "elite" members/lifters can help you out better. Good luck!!

Just make sure you eat less calories. Keep up your healthy eating, that's definitely a great start, but cut back on another 300-500 calories and see if you start losing a pound or 2 every week. If you're still not losing weight, cut off a few more hundred calories. Slowly experiment with your caloric intake and once you find the right amount (losing 0.5-2 pounds a week is ideal, although you could probably go up to 3 if you really wanted to) stick with that.

It seems like you are trying to gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. This is not impossible but it's difficult. You might be better off focusing on fat loss if that is important to you. You can maintain or minimize loss of muscle/strength during that time.

Also, your comment that you've gained 15 lbs. but feel "tighter" makes me think you actually have lost some fat. How tall are you, how much do you weigh, and what do your lifts look like?

If you are eating enough to have gained 15 lbs. you aren't in a caloric deficit and thus likely haven't really lost any fat. It sounds like you've improved your food choices but will have to decrease your portions and amounts (which results in fewer calories ingested) if fat loss is your primary goal.

Wannabebig Member
    Right now I'm at 160lbs and I'm 5'9 I'm also 21 if that matters. I guess should I cut really hard now since its almost summer then once I lose the unwanted fat I can bulk again? If so is there a more clean bulk so I don't gain all the fat back right away. Pretty much I started as a fat kid and I'm close to being confident enough to be able to take my shirt off in the summer for the first time in 7 years and I have given myself till may to get there.

Yes mate - do as I'm planning to do: bulk in a slight calorie excess, keeping an eye on macros and doing a very small cut once you reach a certain bf% you're unhappy with (ie 15% or w/e).

Repeat ad nauseum.
    Last edited by GazzyG; 04-07-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by dom7226 View Post
    I have been working out now for 4 months and I still see no fat loss. I have been on a much healthier diet with lots of grilled chicken, brown rice, veggies, fish, when I do eat beef its lean ground beef. If I want a snack its a serving of cottage cheese, a banana or a handful of pecans. I start my day with 2 eggs and a bowl of oatmeal. I did P90x from January to March and now my workout is http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-n...n-proportions/ with the p90 ab ripper after lifting, I also walk on the treadmill 45 minutes after every workout and on Tuesday and Thursdays I do a HIIT workout of walking 5 minutes, sprint 30 seconds, then walk 1 minute repeated 10 times then a 5 minute walking cool down. I have definitely gained muscle with all this working out because I have gained 15 lbs and I feel "tighter" but I have seen absolutely no fat loss. I even tried Hydroxycut and I saw no change. Should I step up my cardio even more cause I doubt I can eat much healthier. Any advice will help and if you have any questions please ask. Thanks
    Do you keep a food log? If you could write up what a typical day of food looks like I may be able to help you to tweak your diet to improve your results.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I have definitely gained muscle with all this working out because I have gained 15 lbs and I feel "tighter" but I have seen absolutely no fat loss.
    You gained 15 lbs and saw no fat loss? Shocker.

You need to eat less.
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 04-08-2011 at 12:49 AM.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by TaylorRoss View Post
    Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, grains, and legumes—foods high in complex carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, low in fat, and free of cholesterol. Try to get fresh, local produce

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    I know. I think we've got a severe infestation of bots.

Dunno why they've crept in over the last few days.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

I have definitely gained muscle with all this working out because I have gained 15 lbs and I feel "tighter" but I have seen absolutely no fat loss.
    It actually sounds like you made some great progress and you don't even realize it!

If you gained 15 pounds, while getting "tighter" that is usually a sign that you have lost fat to an extent.

As someone stated above, if you have been able to gain 15 pounds then your calories might be a little high in terms of losing fat. If your goal is to lose fat then you will have to cut back on what you are eatting as a whole to lower the calories.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Right now I'm at 160lbs and I'm 5'9 I'm also 21 if that matters.
    With your height and weight, you should be at a decent level in terms of what your physique looks like.

I'm sitting at 5'9" and am nearly 180 pounds. With the fact that you've gained some muscle over the past few months, I'd suspect that you wouldn't need to diet down for an extremely long time either.

With a detailed diet plan you could diet for 6-8 weeks, and it wouldn't have to be terribly restsricted diet. I think you could see some solid results after 4 weeks even. Try to look around at a few threads regarding your diet and how to eat, and learn a bit more about the how many calories you are eatting.

Look at the back of the nutrtional labels and measure out what you have been eatting. This will help you to determine what you are eatting each day. While looking for the calorie total also keep track of how many grams of fats, carbohydrates, and proteins are in what you are eatting.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

Let me get this straight, you are 5'9'' 160, but you've gained 15 lbs. That would put you originally at 5'9'' 145.

That is tiny!

What are your lifts? Do you know your BF%?
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."