The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Wannabebig Member

skipping breakfast and intermittent fasting

My friend and training partner has gotten really big into the leangains and is eating like twice a day and skipping breakfast. I can understand maybe you dont need 6 meals a day but I'm pretty old school when it comes to the importance of breakfast.

hes been pushing this sketchy study http://www.springerlink.com/content/w8712615714k8150/ and acting like leangains is the gospel.

So im trying to come up with a consenting point of view, can people more knowledgeable than me point me to some studies or scientific info promoting breakfast as a an important meal.
    Last edited by vitaminG; 04-08-2011 at 05:14 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
    can people more knowledgeable than me point me to some studies or scientific info promoting breakfast as the most important meal of the day.
    Jose Antonio and Lonnie Lowery just talked about this on this week's Iron Radio podcast. Their opinions are that breakfast is NOT the most important meal of the day, and thats just a catch phrase that moms used to get their kids to eat breakfast basically.

Instead, the most important meal(s) of the day are more likely those around your workout [pre/post workout].

Annecdotely, I can attest to this. I rarely eat breakfast anymore, and train around 7pm.

Even if you find a study that SUGGESTS breakfast is the most important meal of the day, you'll be able to find many that dont.

As for 6 meals vs. 2 meals, theres a lot of research that has gone into this, and still the results aren't conclusive. Its going to really depend on what you are trying to accomplish.

The biggest flaw of IF'ing for most people is if they are "bulking" and they wont be able to take in the required amount of nutrients in such a short time period. Trying to take in 300+g of protein and 4000+ kcals in two meals can be pretty tough for some people.

You could try to argue something along the lines of nutrient absorbtion isn't optimal with such large meals, but good luck ever proving that.

Wannabebig Member
    well i guess i should rephrase the initial post, i realize breakfast is a pretty arbitrary meal for most people

I guess im just more against the idea of a 16 hour fast and trying to get all your days calories in the remainig 8 hours. I just dont see being in a catabolic state for most of the day as beneficial for muscle developement.

Not to mention how energy levels and focus is affected by not eating till 6 hours after you woke up.
    Last edited by vitaminG; 04-08-2011 at 05:14 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
    well i guess i should rephrase the initial post, i realize breakfast is a pretty arbitrary meal for most people

I guess im just more against the idea of a 16 hour fast and trying to get all your days calories in the remainig 8 hours. I just dont see being in a catabolic state for most of the day as beneficial for muscle developement.

Not to mention how energy levels and focus is affected by not eating till 6 hours after you woke up.
    It works for some, and doesn't for others. I can easily fast and have no problems. My hunger goes DOWN by not having breakfast.

The reason it works for some people, is that they get to eat larger meals during that shorter time frame and then not worry about eating the rest of the time.

If your eating 2000kcals or less trying to lose weight, two 1000kcal meals is often more satisfying than six 333 kcal meals.

I've never bought the 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' thing. I've actually always suspected that saying was invented by the cereal companies.

Varies from person to person. When I worked a manual labour job (starting at 6:00, first break at 9:15) a big breakfast was important for me. These days, with an office job, not so much.
    Last edited by tom183; 04-08-2011 at 05:21 PM.

i don't think there's a massive physiological advantage or disadvantage to either. i'm personally partial to IF because it's what's most convenient for me, and has helped me stay consistent with my diet. if you like breakfast, however, keep eating breakfast. the most important thing is to realize that your muscles won't catabolize if you don't eat every 47 minutes, and the best diet is the one you can stick to.
    Last edited by thatNUCKOLSkid; 04-08-2011 at 05:30 PM.
    21 years old, 242 pounds
    current: 750 squat, 445 bench, 725 deadlift
    goals: Total 2000+ raw in the next 18 months

Wannabebig Member
    i suppose a lot of it must come down to discipline and individual body type.

I know if i dont eat anything in the morning when i wake up by the time my first coffee break rolls around im starving and looking for ANYTHING to eat, and that usually ends up being some form of empty carb.

I would also like to note that most of my opinions are from lurking this site for the last 6 years. It seemed like most people were pretty big on breakfast. I certainly wasnt eating oats and egg whites in the morning before i joined here.

[QUOTE=vitaminG;2458606]I know if i dont eat anything in the morning when i wake up by the time my first coffee break rolls around im starving and looking for ANYTHING to eat, and that usually ends up being some form of empty carb. QUOTE]

If you aren't used to intermittent fasting then you will feel this way, but after a couple days I imagine you would be used to it and wouldn't be hungry.

Why are you trying to argue with your mate against IF if you don't have any reason to? Have you ever tried it? Sounds like you have just heard over and over how you need to eat constantly and right when you get up for so long that you automatically don't like the idea of IF

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    Why are you trying to argue with your mate against IF if you don't have any reason to? Have you ever tried it? Sounds like you have just heard over and over how you need to eat constantly and right when you get up for so long that you automatically don't like the idea of IF
    ya thats pretty much it, ive had the need for breakfast drilled into my head.

Ive just always heard the 6 meals a day thing and figured going long periods w/o eating was starving my muscles, and making them catabolize themselves.

the hunger is just a matter of your body's circadian rhythms (in this case, ghrelin production primarily) being set to your current eating patterns. if you didn't eat breakfast for a few days straight, the hunger probably wouldn't be an issue anymore. that being said, if you enjoy eating breakfast and are continuing to see positive results on your current diet, there's no reason to change anything.

to address your bulking concern: some can bulk on IF, and some can't. i personally love it. since i have no problem eating 3000+ calories in one sitting, i think it's quite satisfying, just sitting down with a mountain of food and gorging yourself on a daily basis.
    21 years old, 242 pounds
    current: 750 squat, 445 bench, 725 deadlift
    goals: Total 2000+ raw in the next 18 months