The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Nearly killed myself hitting New PR on the deadlift.

Didn't really almost kill myself but it sure looked and felt like it.
    well today I decided to go for a new PR record on my deadlift, The big 4 plates on each side at 405lb. I told myself that if I could get this off the floor and up to my knees, I would kill myself before i would drop it. So there I was, I put my belt on, and chalked up my hands. I got into my conventional deadlift position, and gathered all my will and energy for the lift. I exploded of the floor and got the bar to my knees fairly easily, there I hit a major sticking point as expected, I leaned back and pulled as hard as I could, the weight moved very slowly, seeming to take an eternity to get up, I normaly try to hold my breath, but I had to let it out and give of some grunts and screams. I finally got it almost all the way up, where I hit my second sticking point. I could not lock my shoulders back or straighten my knees out. I sat there fighting to lock out in what seemed like another eternity, screaming and grunting the whole time. but I was going to Hit this lift or die trying, nothing could have got me to drop it. I finally lock out and held it their, then I quicklt dropped( normaly i lower the weight slowly but my energy reserves were gone) the weight down. My body was shaken all over, I quickly notice i had gotten the attention of the entire gym. I had people telling me , that they never seen anyone fight that hard to get a weight up. My friend told me it took me almost one minute and 30 second to complete the rep( somewhat of an exaggeration I think) Everyone thinks I'm super hardcore now( I'm only one of five people at my gym that deadlifts). While it totally drained me for my other exercises, it felt really good to hit 405, especailly with the effort it took. My next goal is 500lbs, hopeful by the end of the year.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Sweet Nate - awesome story!

g'job
    yea that's about all yer getting out of me
    Beachbody coaching lets you turn your hobby into a career - Beachbody

Senior of Kinesiology
    Nice

good luck with 500!
    Meet PR: 290lb bench press, 505lb dead lift @ 190lbs

Current Training: Yoga and Weightlifting

5'11'', Male, 175lbs, age 22

I think the next time, I go for a PR, I will try for an weight that I can get easier. While the effort felt good, It totally drained me for my other execises, I also do ME bench, and assisted work and they all suffered because of the energy it took. rather then going up 10lbs evertime I go for a PR, I will go up 5lbs instead.

Good job, man. 500 ain't far off!
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

As hard as that rep was, 500lbs seems very far of. I ME deadlift and ME squat every week, and have gotten excellant results from it. I know my gain will slow, and I will have to Drop either ME deadlift or squat to just one or the other. I also can't seem to get myself to do any of the other ME deadlift exercises, I just feel uncomfortable doing deadlifts of the rack,or off a mat, they seem to irratate my lower back, while dead of the floor do not. I think I will try deadlifts with bands next week and see how that feels.

Gains? Slowing? Say it ain't so.

They might, but that's not the mindset you want. Once you hit 500, THEN they can slow.

Why would a dead in smaller ROM annoy your back? Is it just the greater weight?
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Well I just started deadlifting about 2 months ago, going from deadlifting around 290lbs to 405. I figure that I won't be able to continue those gains as much of it was form adapting to a new exercise. Also at 5'9 169lbs I will have to increase my bodyweight alot to hit 500lbs. I also need to put alot of work on my squat(290lbs max), I figure since westside only recommend doing Either ME squat/or deadlift, that when I reduce down to only one I will have to focus on my squat more.

As far as deadlifting with a shorter ROM, hurting my back, It may have more to do with form. I can't seem to get in the comfortable form that I use when I dead of a rack as opposed to the floor. I will have to check out my form, the next time I perform partials to check what I am doing differently.

Awesome nate.

Yeah in the right mindset anything is possible bro, 500 is definitely be possible. Put your f*cking mind to it, it will happen.

MS

Wannabebig Member
    Damn, DL 405 at 169.....very impressive, especially with only 2 months of doing them.

GJ man and I can easily see you hitting 500

Well done, Nate.

Great pull.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

*gets all physched up just reading that*

*feels like his firday pull*

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Nate- great job.

Now, the Westside routine has one day per week to focus on ME exercises that effect both the squat and deadlift. It doesn't mean to either squat or deadlift on those days. In most cases it calls for heavy goodmornings or some variation of the squat or dead.

Also, why do you think you have to gain weight in order to hit 500?? If you want it and train smart, you could hit 500 and lose 4 lbs to make the 165's(if you wanted to compete). Good luck with it. 500 is one of my goals for this year as well.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    Great story! coincidentally I'm going for 300 today for deadlifting. I did 285 last week at my home gym, and felt I could've done much more, usually my grip gives out up at college, but my gym back home has much easier to grip bars. Thanks for the inspiration

I should go for 315 today. but i have to see how my back feels
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Latman- I understand that max effort squat/dead does not me do only squats and deads, I do goodmornings and variation of squats and deads, but I feel my best gains are form doing just regular squats and deads. I am doing more of a modified version of westside, It sort of mixes parts of westside, periodization, some parts of Siff's supertraining. It probably resembles something closer to what powermanDL uses but with specific speed days for bench and squat/deadlift.

As far gaining weight to deadlift 500, I figure that since my best gains are made when I gain weight plus I would like to get up to around 185lb then drop down to 181 right before comp. I figure I will be alot stronger at 181 especially on the bench, as opposed to 165.

layin up against a dumpster in a 100 dollar jumper, smothered in southern comfort.
    YO! I got 300 for 4 reps! I could've had 5 I think, but didn't want to risk anything :-D

I want to blow my brains out. Im pissed. I did my sumos and got 315 for 3 but i fucvked my form so it dont counttuttut
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

Impressive pull Nate!!
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo