The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feedback on Powerliftingwatch.com

I don't just want haters. I want as many honest opinions as possible.

We have advertised there for a while, but I really think the quality of stories on the site has gone south.

So, do you still check the site out? If so, more or less often than you used to? Do you think it is worth it for us to continue to advertise there?

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I don't even look at it anymore whatsoever. Stories are not as good and a bunch of trolls.
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Garage Lifter
    FWIW, I almost never look there anymore
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I'm not a fan of their articles and current media coverage but I do like visiting that site to read up on PL federation information (rulebook, official site, future meets, etc). I visit them at least once a week cause its habit and about every other day if I'm seeking interest in competing in my area. Sometimes I will help by submitting PL meets in my area as well. IMO I think you should continue advertising them because their world wide known. They seem to be the "go to" site for PL related news. If you pull them off your site, chances are they will pull WBB off = less advertising for you. I think of PLwatch like youtube, we all still use/go ti it but hate the trolling that goes on. That's just how the internet is though!

I think it has fallen far. However, I still go there. I'm a pl junky! I will say it probably gets lots of traffic for looking up meets and records.

Supplements I currently take: Nitrean , BCAA , Creatine 500 , Multi-Plus , Fish Oil

My Training Log , My Youtube Videos

"The weak will never understand" - Vincent Dizenzo

Dr. Subtotal
    Chris I in no way intend to tell you how to run your business, but if you simply google "Powerlifting" it's one of the first things to pop up. For first timers getting in the sport, they see your business on that site. Perhaps you could do a referral option for new customers to see how much traffic you get from that site.

I am with Vinny though on the state of the site. Barely any of the articles get above 5 comments these days
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...

I still go there. I rarely read anything but I go there once a day just incase something catches my eye. 9 times out of 10 it doesnt though.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

I have to wonder if the people at wannabebig.com wouldn't do a better job for everything powerlifting. Scratch that, I know they would. Just a thought.

I go to PLwatch, sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    I still go there. I rarely read anything but I go there once a day just incase something catches my eye. 9 times out of 10 it doesnt though.
    This is exactly what I do as well. I do find the site less interesting than it used to be. I think the new customer referral question is a good idea as that may give you a better indication about how much business is generated from advertising there.

I do visit there somewhat frequently, but it is never for anything but to look up meets, results or records. I do use the classifieds though, they seem to be the best.
    I will say the other day after looking up some records, I scrolled down to the powerlifting forums to see what was there. So I guess for the average person its a good thing to be on there, and im sure it directs some traffic here.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...32666473422227
    we forge our bodies in the fire of our will

I agree it would get lots of traffic.

I only go there to look at the second hand powerlifting gear for sale....about every 3 weeks on average.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Quote Originally Posted by ScottYard View Post
    Agreed. At least when there was constant pissing and moaning it was over new posts and updates. Not much newsworthy posting going on these days. I dont even know where to go for updates anymore. Possibly a slot for Atlarge or WBB to fill?
    All Time 198 Squat Record of 1,050 pounds
    http://ironscene.com/view_video.php?...e=&category=tr

All Time 220 Squat Record of 1,100 pounds

** 1063 squat , 611 bench, and 733 deadlift for 2408 Total
    All Time 242 Squat Record of 1,108 pounds At 228)
    ** 1108 squat , 639 bench, and 700 deadlift for 2447 Total

What I Lack in Genetics, I Make Up For With Determination and Discipline

I usually get on it once or twice a day just to see what's going on.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

It doesn't seem they update very frequently. I don't know the relationships and am not sure what others think, but advertising somewhere like outlaws might be better.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I visit from time to time but rarely post there anymore. lots of whining and negativity. Coverage is very biased

See, I'm thinking what you guys are expressing and that is my concern.

Please keep the feedback coming.

Sam, I would love to do more but the problem is hours in the day. Doing something like that right would require several hours a day. I would need to find someone to do it.

I just visit to see where the meets are going to be, aside from that I don't bother.

I hardly go there anymore. I will say plwatch was how I found WBB when I was starting out.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

I didn't go there for a couple of months and I realised that I didn't go there anymore so I checked it out but quickly noticed why I didn't visit the site anymore.

Daily.. I am on my computer most of the day and if a site has powerlifting content, i'm reading it.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    Daily.. I am on my computer most of the day and if a site has powerlifting content, i'm reading it.
    Pretty much the same with me. I go a few times a day, just to laugh at some of the stupid comments. Does anyone know why they select some of the articles they pick? Some of them dont seem news worthy at all. Not even sure what their criteria is. It is still a good site to advertise on simply because of the amount of travel through there, and all common interest people.

I still check it a couple of times a day, but will say that I'm not there long.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Chris, not sure if this is of any interest to you but take a look at their pageviews:

I found this info here: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/powerliftingwatch.com

Seems like their daily traffic has gone down recently. I did not really dig into the data though. Just thought it might be useful.

my opinion

I check it usually once a day.

It seems to be down on traffic and posts.

Sometimes the news does not seem news worthy, but I understand they want give everyone some exposure even if your not the best.

I can tell you we get some phone calls, members, and day passes from our powerlifting gym listing on there, more day passes than anything. Had one yesterday in fact.

I don't know whether to blame PLW or simply blame the state of powerlifting for the lack of substance. I hardly watch any videos anymore. Most are labeled, "700 raw deadlift" Then you watch it and its a 700lb rack pull from above the knees with reverse blue bands with a 5 minute intro of some dude prepping for the 7 second lift. ..LOL Does anyone ever upload real lifts anymore?

Are you able to see exactly how many people click on your PLW ad and get to your site? I'm not really sure about this, but I think you can thru your web server.

Dr. Subtotal
    It's pretty clear that once the site stopped anonymous trolling, lack of comments and page views became the norm. Some features they've been doing, like featuring older videos, are nice as well as the meet results, calendar, and powerlifting gyms pages. It really is ground zero for anyone new to the sport.

It seemed that when Jon handed the site over, some politics played into things. I guess I'm different, but I enjoy reading and watching all three sectors of the sport, raw/single/multi. Some people aren't like that. It seems like instead of actively hunting for videos and training logs, they rely more on user-submitted stuff.

But from a business standpoint, they now have alot more supplement companies on there. Most know ALN has always been powerlifting-involved for some time now, so again, some statistics should probably tell you how much traffic and business you're getting through your ads there. Maybe, as a sponsor of the site, relay your worries and thoughts to the current owner/webmaster?
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=132318

Satisfaction is the Death of Desire...