Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best lifts for fighting

Wannabebig Member

Best lifts for fighting

Hey guys, well im a boxer, me and my friends always mess around and stuff boxing and **** - i dont box for a club or anything, but ive been thinking about it, anyways every friday where i live like 100+ highschool kids go to what we call
    "Friday Night Fights" a bunch of people show up ready to box and people bring boxing gloves, its extremly organized for a bunch of highschool kids. anyways ive been thinking about going to this and boxing with some people. so i need to know what lifts whould be the best for boxing i think i got the conditioning/endurance down, i jump rope and run.

so what are some lifts that would get my punching strength up. mainly jabs and hooks. i'd appreciate everyones oppinion, would be nice to see what some people do. thanks alot.
    as of march 29 07.
    weight: 145lbs
    height: 6'00

Big Four.
    BEnch: 165
    Power Clean 185
    Squat: 305 (my weightclass record)
    Dead Lift: 385

Bench press, skull crushers, weighted crunches, russian twists, 1 legged squats, chins, pullovers...
    Last edited by LouPac; 04-20-2006 at 03:33 AM.

Banned
    Power begins with leg strength, even for jabs. You should learn the mechanics of boxing first, then you'll realize what strength movements you can utilize to maximize your punching power.

Squat, deadlift, clean and jerk, and learn to punch.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Wanna wrestle?
    Hold on.. You weigh 127 and are 5'11? Youre going to get eaten alive if there are even any decent boxers there. Maybe you should bulk up a little first.. If you never fought or been in a boxing match/MMA fight, it's physically exhausting. Jumping rope and running arent going to cut it... How long do you do each for?
    Jd

Trap Shrugs- 270 x 4
    Deadlift- 225 x 2
    Bench- 185 x 2

"Tap, Nap or Snap...it's your choice."

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Basically all the power lifts and olympic lifts. Also, to further improve your conditioning you could try www.crossfit.com It'll test to see if you're REALLY a man.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

You definately need a bulk man. Get your basic lifts up and put on at least 30lbs before you seriously consider this. It'll help a ton.

After that, or during the weight gain, practice alot of olympic lifts. Learn to push press and do dumbell snatches, and work the HELL out of those. Those 2 lifts will do more for your punching power(eventually) than anything else in my opinion.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Banned
    Anything to strengthen your back, arms and torso.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmything08
    Hold on.. You weigh 127 and are 5'11? Youre going to get eaten alive if there are even any decent boxers there. Maybe you should bulk up a little first.. If you never fought or been in a boxing match/MMA fight, it's physically exhausting. Jumping rope and running arent going to cut it... How long do you do each for?
    Hey, some boxers are skinny ****s who just know how to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickthebassist
    Hey, some boxers are skinny ****s who just know how to hit.
    Most of those guys are a bit shorter, but most have no punching power anyway. Its an endurance match at that level, I don't really enjoy watching it... just my 2 cents

I would seriously consider BULKING!!!! I do a bit of boxing (sparring) as part of my cardio work out and if you are looking to actually fight... you need some more weight (preferably muscle) on you!
    Arm and Shoulder workouts are a must… and as jkirkpatrick and Anthony said… “legs are a key”… learn to pivot on your toes (to move side to side) and use your legs to push forward as you through a punch.
    I would get together with someone who has actually boxed before and spar… at least then you won’t break your wrists when you make contact the first time.
    "I lift, I sleep, I work, I eat (a lot), I run and then... I do it all over agian!"
    "Lifting is like a box of chocolates... onces you start you can't stop!"

Keep my body weight below 200lbs (for now)
    Aug 10 ('06)Bench: 115kg ______ goal by Dec 31: get back up to 115kg
    Get both my Dead and Squat above 120kg before 2008

journal

Wannabebig Member
    i dont wanna sound like an ass but i already know i have more than enough endurance to box, ive done wrestling for the last 5 years greco 2 1/2 years of freestyle, we condition until you cant lift a pencil, most people who have not done wrestling dont know how physically exausting it is. and or coach.. hes a X SEAL... anyways, just to let you guys know this is a highschool fight. freshman, sophmores and some juniors and seniors. 80% of these people have not much experiance under there belt. i just wanted to know what lifts would be good, and also i am trying to bulk out, gain around 20-25lbs, ive evn posted about it on wannabebig. anyways thanks for the help so far, keep em comming
    Last edited by Xyber04; 04-20-2006 at 12:47 PM.
    as of march 29 07.

Big Four.
    Power Clean 185

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmything08
    actully this morning i was 133, probly would be around 135 in the night when friday night fights takes happens
    as of march 29 07.

Big Four.
    Power Clean 185

Wanna wrestle?
    Id still try to bulk man. I wrestle/wrestled also.. I know about the conditioning... Its really different for boxing and wrestling. Different muscles are used.. I guess juts lift., lift, lift and bullk as much as you can.
    Jd

Trap Shrugs- 270 x 4
    Deadlift- 225 x 2
    Bench- 185 x 2

"Tap, Nap or Snap...it's your choice."

Power cleans, clean and jerk, squats, deadlift. Strong legs and core probably help fighting more than anything else. If you had to condense it as much as possible, I would guess that these couple were the most beneficial.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Wannabebig Member
    thanks guys. ya i know i needa gain weight but its hard for me, i love eating, and i love lifting, but just i stay skinny, i get somewhat stronger but stay skinny
    as of march 29 07.

Big Four.
    Power Clean 185

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ottomanart
    I would seriously consider BULKING!!!! I do a bit of boxing (sparring) as part of my cardio work out and if you are looking to actually fight... you need some more weight (preferably muscle) on you!
    Arm and Shoulder workouts are a must… and as jkirkpatrick and Anthony said… “legs are a key”… learn to pivot on your toes (to move side to side) and use your legs to push forward as you through a punch.
    I would get together with someone who has actually boxed before and spar… at least then you won’t break your wrists when you make contact the first time.
    You also need your torso. As you throw a punch your torso twists, and more powerful abs will mean you can do this with more force.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Most of those guys are a bit shorter, but most have no punching power anyway. Its an endurance match at that level, I don't really enjoy watching it... just my 2 cents
    I'd rather watch that than watch two fat boys occasionally jab each other and wobble around the ring.

You need to lift a spoon.

and a fork, and possibly a knife.
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Quote Originally Posted by Nickthebassist
    I'd rather watch that than watch two fat boys occasionally jab each other and wobble around the ring.
    Those big guys can't afford to take a good shot from the other guy. They PAY when they get hit, lightweights do not.

Banned
    Those big guys can't afford to take a good shot from the other guy. They PAY when they get hit, lightweights do not.
    Nonetheless, I enjoy watching the lightweights more, unless you get two really tough heavyweights who can pound the living **** out of each other.

3:16
    you have not trained with some light weight i have trianed with.

and if it organised then he be fighting similar light weight guys as well.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Nothing against their skill and endurance, and I'm sure there are alot with a good chin and a good punch... but knockouts are rare at that level. There's a huge difference in the power and strategy, you can afford to take some hard hits from your opponent as a lightweight, as a heavyweight its never good.

Xyber04 i know what you mean about wrestling ive wrestled the last 6 years of my life my school has won city for the last 11 years are wrestling coach is mad and works us till we cannot go any further people dont understand when you wrestle/run/practice for 3 hours with no water its physically draining. Now wrestling will condition you for boxing a lot more then football. To gain weight go buy some weight gainer stuff most of them will give you an extra 1,000 calories a day.
    Stats

Current(May1st) (June8th) Goals(September 1st)
    Bench 245 -------255-----300(reached 225x6 june 14th)
    Squat 350 -------injured----450
    Deadlift 315 ------injured----370

height 5"11
    weight 185(stay at 185)
    40(tested 4/19/06)4.75

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."