Thread: Powerlifting / strongman training

Powerlifting / strongman training

i have always wanted to start a thread on this but always forget, i am looking to try this summer to add some strongman training events just for fun and to keep things interesting, but also to hopefully add some strength. But how would you go about adding strongman events into your powerlifting split, has anyone ever done this and if so would you do them as GPP or work them into your training days or both any help would be grateful
    " though the pain may come over you, never let it overcome you "
    FUSCULAR*(fus*ku-lar)adj.: A large person who is a combination of fat and extreme muscular mass.
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21
    (Raw lifts) - BP-325 SQ-600+ DL-520
    My journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...art&highlight=

Garage Lifter
    If you get Power magazine there was an article a year or so ago by Travis Ortmayer and his current training and most months they have something about strongman training. Marunde Muscle is also a good place to look.

Several guys do a version of WSBB:
    Day 1 - ME Lower/DE Upper
    Day 2 - ME Upper/DE Lower
    Day 3 - events
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Quote Originally Posted by Bosshogg300 View Post
    i have always wanted to start a thread on this but always forget, i am looking to try this summer to add some strongman training events just for fun and to keep things interesting, but also to hopefully add some strength. But how would you go about adding strongman events into your powerlifting split, has anyone ever done this and if so would you do them as GPP or work them into your training days or both any help would be grateful
    There are a number of different ways to implement strongman event work into your powerlifting program. If you are simply looking to perform the events for GPP then you do not have to worry as much about recovery/CNS and it would be easy to just add a separate day for 'conditioning' or to add some event work at the end of your gym training sessions (depending on availability of equipment).

If you want to do heavy event work then you will need to make some adjustments to the intensity of your gym/powerlifting training.

What is your current split? I can help you to program things so that you can maximize your gains and avoid recovery issues.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

I just started out and am using 5/3/1. I'm doing deads on Monday, push press on Tuesday, Squats on Thursday, Bench on Friday and events on Saturday. I don't kill myself on assistance shit though. Working ou good so far.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I do a lot of strongman training the day after my heavy squat day.... squat and pull on Sat, strongman on Sunday.

I do some auxiliary work, but it's mostly for conditioning and recovery.

Most of what I do revolves around huge supersets... for example: Kettlebell toss x 10, farmers walk x 50m, tire flips x 3, prowler crawl or sprints x 50m+.... that'd be one set.... then we rest, then we do 3 or 4 more before moving on to either more strongman implements to play with or some auxiliary work, box jumps etc...

by incorporating these I've noticed a little more explosiveness in my lifts and a lot more endurance towards the end of a heavy squat or deadlift session, not to mention being able to finish meets strong.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Wannabebig Member
    we are gonna add stongman training to our routine on fridays starting i july, so when that happens the split im going to try will be like this

MON powelifting day
    squat
    bench
    dl

wed olympic day
    clean & jerk
    snatch
    accessory lifs

fri strongman day

havent decided on sets and reps yep but this is how im gonna ball it all together

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    I do a lot of strongman training the day after my heavy squat day.... squat and pull on Sat, strongman on Sunday.

I do some auxiliary work, but it's mostly for conditioning and recovery.

Most of what I do revolves around huge supersets... for example: Kettlebell toss x 10, farmers walk x 50m, tire flips x 3, prowler crawl or sprints x 50m+.... that'd be one set.... then we rest, then we do 3 or 4 more before moving on to either more strongman implements to play with or some auxiliary work, box jumps etc...

by incorporating these I've noticed a little more explosiveness in my lifts and a lot more endurance towards the end of a heavy squat or deadlift session, not to mention being able to finish meets strong.
    Strongman medleys and complexes / crossfit type workouts can be great for conditioning.

How long would you say that each working set lasts for?

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

i am currently doing west side conjugate method and heres my split

DE UPPER

Main- Speed Bench- 9 sets of 3 using different grips using 60-70% of 1rm and using bands every other 3 weeks

Supp work- DB press \ Low Pin Press 4 sets of 5

Tricep- Rolling DB extensions/ overhead tricep extensions- 4 sets of 8

Tricep- pushdowns- 3 sets of 8

Delts- Side raises, face pulls, or behind neck pull downs 3 sets of 10

Lats- Lat pulls/ pull ups – 3 sets of 8

ME Lower
    Main lift- Box Squat, Rack Deads, Or Goodmornings rotating types 1-3 reps 5 sets
    Supp work- Leg Press, zercher squats, stiff legs 4 sets 6 reps
    Lower Back- pull through, back extensions, pull ups 3sets 10reps
    Hamstrings- GHR 3sets 6-10 reps
    Biceps & forearms- Hammer curls & alt curls or Olympic curls 3sets 10reps
    ABS – knee raises, crunches (lying toe touches) 3sets 30reps

ME Upper

Main- Regular Bench, Bench w/bands, Inclines, and Close grips 5sets 1- 3 reps

Supp work - 1&2 boards , Floor Press w/ Barbell or Dumbbell 4 sets of 5 reps

Tricep- dips/ skull crushers – 3 sets of 10 reps

Shoulder- Military press – 5/3/1 rep scheme
    • Week 1- 3 sets of 5 reps (3x5).
    • Week 2- 3 sets of 3 reps (3x3).
    • Week 3- 1 set of 5 reps, 1 set of 3 reps and 1 set of 1 rep (5/3/1).
    • Week 4- 3 sets of 5 reps (3x5). This is an easy deload week.
    • After the fourth week, you begin again with 3 sets of 5 reps

Lat/back- cable rows, or t-bar rows- 3 sets of 10

Dynamic lower-
    Box squats 10sets 2reps 50%-60% of 1rm
    Speed pulls- 8 sets 1rep 50-60% of 1rm
    Quads- leg extensions, lunges 3sets 10 reps
    Hamstrings- ham curl 3sets 10 reps
    Shrugs- 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Biceps- hammer or alt curls 3sets 10 reps
    Abs -crunches 3sets 30 reps
    FUSCULAR*(fus*ku-lar)adj.: A large person who is a combination of fat and extreme muscular mass.
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Strongman medleys and complexes / crossfit type workouts can be great for conditioning.

How long would you say that each working set lasts for?
    That's exactly the idea here..... gives me a little more gas int he tank when I need it, and its fun to move heavy stuff outside.....

each set can last between 90 seconds and 3 minutes depending on how many exercises we pick ( between 3 and 5) and a few other factors..... sometimes it turns in to a pissing contest and we get closer to 4 minute sets....
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

What would be the best way to.incorporate strongman events into powerlifting so I have a hybrid workout that I can still improve on my main 3 lifts and work on the raw power and explosivness of strongman, also the gpp part as well
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21

strongman training for maximum hypertrophy

how should this be set up in the article it gives the basic set up for what you do on that given day but how many exercises should you do for each bodypart , and should you rotate your exercises week to week or biweekly
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21

do you have the link to the article?

Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21

thanks, i havent seen it

Yea no prob
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21

What would someone suggest for accessory work for each body part for this routine
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21

Tom could you lend some insight on these questions
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21

how should this be set up in the article it gives the basic set up for what you do on that given day but how many exercises should you do for each bodypart , and should you rotate your exercises week to week or biweekly
    There are quite a few variables with regard to hypertrophy training, so I would not want to make a general recommendation without knowing more about that specific trainee and their overall background/lifestyle.

In general I would keep your workouts to 8-15 working sets and include super-sets or drop sets for isolation movements while sticking with 5-10 reps on most compound movements (or a higher number of sets with lower reps at 70-80%). The strongman training that you will do on the weekends will force your body to grow and will also build a considerable amount of strength.

I did also see your PM on your training program and will reply in the other thread that you created, I think that the biggest thing is figuring out what your primary goal and secondary goals are and then allocating your energy appropriately. If you compete in powerlifting and just want to look a bit better than some simple adjustments can be made. If you want to transform your physique while maintaining as much strength as possible (realizing that you will likely lose some), then you would want to go with a much different regimen in terms of training/diet.

Later tonight or tomorrow I will try to go back and find some of my own workouts so that you can see some practical examples.

What I am going right now is 5/3/1 with some strongman stuff thrown in.

Sun- Log 5/3/1 upper body
    Mon- Axle Clean Squat 5/3/1 sandbag lifting/sled pulls
    Wed- Bench 5/3/1 upper body
    Fri- DL 5/3/1 lower body Farmers walks

You can take a look at my journal to see more detail.

Well whatever you would need to know to help me formulate a routine ill be more than willing to tell you, and thank you for your fast response
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21

I have looked at some people who have used the 5/3/1 for strongman and I limed the way it was set us I am just trying to figure out how I should set it up for my goals
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21

What would be the best way to.incorporate strongman events into powerlifting so I have a hybrid workout that I can still improve on my main 3 lifts and work on the raw power and explosivness of strongman, also the gpp part as well
    I recommend that you focus on one primary objective and one secondary objective, trying to go in too many directions could lead to over-training and/or lack of progress.

If you are mostly looking to improve your 'big three' for powerlifting and at the same time interested in improving athleticism and conditioning there are some things that you can incorporate into your routine to help you to reach these goals. I would not do a lot of heavy strongman event work but you could perform medleys and plyometrics for your accessory work in conjunction with an effective gym training program for powerlifting.

What strongman implements do you currently have access to? Or what is your budget for implements if you would be purchasing them?

Well I have been lifting for almost 10 yrs and I have been powerlifting for 2 yrs and I have always wanted to do strongman competitions and train like a strongman but I have no idea how to approach it training wise because I do not want to overtrain.But ill tell you some basic info about.myself that will I hope help, I am 20 yrs old 198 right now I am dialing down on my nutrition now trying to get in the 200-220 lb range I will have access to farmers handles, I will have 4 tires this friday, a yoke, prowler and weight sled and I am going to have access to stone molds so.I am.going to make a few atlas stones this week, but my goal is to basically get bigger, stronger,and be very fit such as yourself, and stay athletic. But I am hoping you can help me make a program for me because I am very serious about strongman and competing some day in the near future but any help you can lend would be helpful thanks
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21

After reading about ten or so different articles about strongman training I have taken what I have found and tried to formulate the best spilt I know how to try and get something in line for next week so I can start so heres what I have so far , the only thing Im not to sure on is the rep scheme and how many sets, so If anyone could lend some advice on that id be thankful ,and if anything should be moved or fixed please anyone chime in and do tell thanks

Monday (Chest, Triceps, Shoulders)
    Reg bench
    Db press / incline bench
    Pushdowns/dips
    Skull crushers/db extensions
    Shoulder press /Bent over rear delt raise

Tuesday (Legs, Back, Abs, and Grip training)
    Squat or Deads- rotating lifts each week, along with rotating rep schemes each week
    Leg press, stiff legs, or zercher squats
    Cable rows/ incline t bar rows
    Lat pulls/ pull-ups
    Sit-ups, knee raises

Wednesday-Rest & light cardio and stretching

Thursday- Overhead event training, Traps, triceps and biceps
    Log press, axle press, or push press
    Heavy barbell shrugs or high pulls
    Triceps pushdowns (moderate weight)
    Alternating curls
    Hammer curls

Friday- Rest and Light cardio and stretching

Saturday- strongman events Alternating volume and power work each week

I do not know what I should do for this day event wise really, also I don’t know if I should add in some calf work and some hamstring or quad work on my leg day , because Ive read some articles were people did that so If anyone could help with this too thanks
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21