Thread: Heavy Sled Drags to Simulate Truck Pull?

Hybrid View

Heavy Sled Drags to Simulate Truck Pull?

My next contest has a truck pull, I want to be somewhat prepared for it. I have a sled with strap and harness, would this be a decent way to simulate it? Load up the weight and go. As far as free weights go, I have 8-45s and 4-25s, would that even be heavy enough?

Thanks again

Here is my sled

well its a start, but since the truck will gain momentum with the wheels turning it wont exactly be the same. are there no vehicles you can push/pull?
    Precision Speed & Strength Development The only TRUE Strength and Conditioning gym in Rochester!
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

On Saturdays when I do events with the guys, I think we are going to be able to. I was looking for maybe some extra work on Squat day or something. I could probably push my car, but can't pull it

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I'd find a way to loop a strap around something on your car or a buddies truck..... it's a whole different world.

I did a plane pull for the Ronald McDonald house last year where me and a buddy pulled a 737 ( I know the pros can do it themselves, but I'm no pro strongman)

learning how to lean in to the harness and keep your back tight ( not bent over at the waist) and learning how to get the truck rolling is the hardest part.
    http://youtu.be/6ScMkQwHPBE
    this was my first attempt at it ( bent over just muscling it... no technique) and even with just an F250 on 35's it was heavy..... the plane was a whole different world though! Do whatever you can to practice with the heaviest vehicle you can get it'll help.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by barryisawinnah View Post
    My next contest has a truck pull, I want to be somewhat prepared for it. I have a sled with strap and harness, would this be a decent way to simulate it? Load up the weight and go. As far as free weights go, I have 8-45s and 4-25s, would that even be heavy enough?

Thanks again

Here is my sled
    If you want something to help you to prepare for a truck pull then you may want to try dragging a tire. Because of the friction a tire drag is much more difficult than a sled or a truck, and so even a medium/light tire can be great for training the pull.

Another option if you do not have access to a tire and your sled is too light would be to drag it uphill. You could also add some odd objects to the sled such as a sandbag, keg, stone, etc.

One more thing is that if you have the budget for it I would definitely pick up a pair of climbing shoes. They will give you much better grip than any cross trainer or other type of shoe. This is especially helpful if you do not have a lot of bodyweight since traction and weight are the two basic factors in any dragging/pulling event. I recommend the Mad Rock Phoenix shoes since they are lace-up and can accommodate a bit of a wider foot: http://www.rei.com/product/746020
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Thanks again Tom, I definitely have some hills around here.

Question on the rock climbing shoes, do they run pretty true to size? Like if I wear a 13 in most shoes, I should get a 13?

Thanks again

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar

Question on the rock climbing shoes, do they run pretty true to size? Like if I wear a 13 in most shoes, I should get a 13?

Thanks again

They run tight, but that's how you want them... mine are from 5.10.... you just want the most basic shoe available. The more advanced they are the stiffer the sole will be. http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/pr.../103741/N/1206

these are the ones I use.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    They run tight, but that's how you want them... mine are from 5.10.... you just want the most basic shoe available. The more advanced they are the stiffer the sole will be. http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/pr.../103741/N/1206

these are the ones I use.
    Thanks, so a 13 that runs tight will probably be ok then. Normally I get 13s, because 12.5s are a little to tight

Thanks again
    Your best bet would be to contact Mark at Mad Rock and have him help you with the sizing. Just tell him that you are using the shoes for strongman and want them to fit a little bit more loosely, his phone number is 800.959.5792 and you can mention that you were referred by me.

Another option would be to go to REI and try them on, they are a national chain and there is a store in Colorado Springs - not sure how close that is to you.

Hopefully you are able to pick them up, I have the Mad Rock Phoenix shoes and would not want to do a pulling or dragging event without them (they also work well for tire flip).
    Last edited by Tom Mutaffis; 04-15-2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added Contact Info
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 218 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Maybe try pulling a car uphill, this will simulate the increase in weight and the quicker deceleration the truck will have due to the weight and friction of the tires mate.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

You could also take some air out of the tires on the practice vehicle. That will increase the rubber contact patch and increase the rolling resistance.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

thanks again Tom, Colorado Springs is about 2 hours away, but I might be going there for a game anyways. If not, I will I give him a call.