Thread: DL form critique

DL form critique

I've only been doing DLs for a few months and it's been a learn as you go experience. This is a video of me and my buddy doing sumo stance, i'm the short fat guy. Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_lj7SnL0ow
    Last edited by shocker4221; 04-15-2011 at 07:58 AM.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Best RAW lifts squat 385- bench 400x2 reps- DL 395
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

Quote Originally Posted by shocker4221 View Post
    I've only been doing DLs for a few months and it's been a learn as you go experience. This is a video of me and my buddy doing sumo stance, i'm the short fat guy. Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_lj7SnL0ow
    what are you training for? a PLing comp? if so the biggest thing i would change is doing 1 reps....dont do the touch and go shit. pull 1 set it down and re-set up. can do a set of 15 or whatever you did, but treat each rep as a ME pull.

overall the form was looking good, especially on the first set. the last set (looked like 4 plates?) was a little sloppy, but that can be expected when talking about a ME pull. just keep them hips down and pull back onto heels.

another thing i would suggest is getting a different belt. a 4" one will be a lot better. and only wear it in the 90-95+% range. change the position of the belt too. you dont want it under your belly, you want it around your belly to create a gurdle. the middle of the belt should be at your belly button. also dont tighten it like crazy. its there to work abs and support, so you should be able to fit 4 fingers between belt and belly. once there and fingers in belt, suck in air and get a big belly your fingers should be locked in there without you being able to get them out.
    Last edited by gmen5681; 04-15-2011 at 08:43 AM.
    Precision Speed & Strength Development The only TRUE Strength and Conditioning gym in Rochester!
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Looks pretty solid. The only thing I'd say is what was mentioned above. I don't like the touch n' go stuff. On a set of 5 I pull, lower, deload the weight, take another big breath, hold, pull, lower, deload the weight, etc etc till the set is done. I think this method sets you up to be powerful off the floor.
    "There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy. " - Mark Rippetoe

My 5/3/1 journal

I think your form looked pretty damn good. You kept a good arch, had your chest up, and you pulled your hips through to lockout. I would just keep working hard. Form looked good.

As far as the touch and go reps I don't really agree. If it is working for you then I wouldn't change anything. I know plenty of really good deadlifters that do touch and go reps.

If it ain't brok don't fix it.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Form seems natural for you that is for sure.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    what are you training for? a PLing comp? if so the biggest thing i would change is doing 1 reps....dont do the touch and go shit. pull 1 set it down and re-set up. can do a set of 15 or whatever you did, but treat each rep as a ME pull.

overall the form was looking good, especially on the first set. the last set (looked like 4 plates?) was a little sloppy, but that can be expected when talking about a ME pull. just keep them hips down and pull back onto heels.

another thing i would suggest is getting a different belt. a 4" one will be a lot better. and only wear it in the 90-95+% range. change the position of the belt too. you dont want it under your belly, you want it around your belly to create a gurdle. the middle of the belt should be at your belly button. also dont tighten it like crazy. its there to work abs and support, so you should be able to fit 4 fingers between belt and belly. once there and fingers in belt, suck in air and get a big belly your fingers should be locked in there without you being able to get them out.

I would like to enter into a full meet in the future, but i'm still so new at doing DLs. I only do touch and go when warming up. As i get into heavier weights I do singles. The belt I have is just for benching, and I know I need to get another one. Thanks for advice on belt placement. That's a first I've heard that but will try it.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

Quote Originally Posted by SplitQuick View Post
    Looks pretty solid. The only thing I'd say is what was mentioned above. I don't like the touch n' go stuff. On a set of 5 I pull, lower, deload the weight, take another big breath, hold, pull, lower, deload the weight, etc etc till the set is done. I think this method sets you up to be powerful off the floor.
    Do you stand back up in between reps or just deload the weight and then resume?
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    I think your form looked pretty damn good. You kept a good arch, had your chest up, and you pulled your hips through to lockout. I would just keep working hard. Form looked good.

As far as the touch and go reps I don't really agree. If it is working for you then I wouldn't change anything. I know plenty of really good deadlifters that do touch and go reps.

If it ain't brok don't fix it.
    thanks Adam, I've been watching endless videos and reading every chance I get. Though that has helped, I haven't been able to lift around experienced lifters and hope I can soon. I did notice that when I got close to my max I used much more back than legs in the lift. Do you think that is from a weak point? I was also wondering if my stance is too wide being how short I am.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Form seems natural for you that is for sure.
    Thanks Joey, that gives me hope I may be able to put up big numbers some day.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

thanks Adam, I've been watching endless videos and reading every chance I get. Though that has helped, I haven't been able to lift around experienced lifters and hope I can soon. I did notice that when I got close to my max I used much more back than legs in the lift. Do you think that is from a weak point? I was also wondering if my stance is too wide being how short I am.
    Lifting with experienced guys is absolutely the best thing you can do for your training. I know it was for me.

I'm not sure on the back/legs issue. I'd have to see it on video. I wouldn't worry about weaknesses. I'd just try to get strong at everything. With regard to stance with I can't tell from the side, but your form looked really good, so I wouldn't necessarily change it. Maybe bring each foot in one inch or so and see if you feel stronger. Don't do anything drastic.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Sumo is cheating

jk

I used to pull sumo too, but it's pretty much not allowed in strongman shit, so I am back to conventional.

Form looked pretty spot on man. When I do reps, I reset before each rep.

Do you stand back up in between reps or just deload the weight and then resume?
    No I stay in pull position I just usually take a quick breath or two, big air, pull again. As Adam said though, it's not something to worry about. You're still doing the work, just a personal preference.
    "There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy. " - Mark Rippetoe

My 5/3/1 journal

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    I wouldn't worry about weaknesses. I'd just try to get strong at everything.
    This is advice which a lot of people could apply.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

The form looked pretty good, nice work buddy!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life
    Vanilla Gorilla

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    The form looked pretty good, nice work buddy!!!!
    Thanks Brian, I'm glad you checked it out because as always your opinion is greatly appreciated.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

On the lighter sets, your form looked good. The last set, you spent way too much time down at the bar. Once you started the lift, your hips shot up first making it more of a sldl. Try and get set up, then grab the bar, lower the hips and pull.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C View Post
    On the lighter sets, your form looked good. The last set, you spent way too much time down at the bar. Once you started the lift, your hips shot up first making it more of a sldl. Try and get set up, then grab the bar, lower the hips and pull.
    I see what you mean, and I remember using much more back in the heavier sets than I did with lighter weights. I was also wondering if I spent too much time down at the bar and if that effected the lift, but after you mention it, I can see that it did. I see so many guys, both younger and much lighter than me that are able to pull crazy weights and wonder if I'm just not strong enough yet or doind something really wrong.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505