Thread: Best exercises for upper back????

Best exercises for upper back????

For upper back thickness and good definition..could you name a few please???

Are T-Bar rows one???

T-bar rows are excellent, bentover barbell and dumbbell rows, seated v-bar cable rows, and also vertical rows. Like underhand chins, overhand chins, v-bar chins, etc.

MS

For upper back thickness, you should eat more food and good definition, you should lower your bf%.

rows, chinups
    All weights in kilograms in my posts. 1 kg = 2,2 lbs

My training log.
    My foreign language study site.

Wannabebig Member
    I find bent over cable laterals to be the only exercise which allows me to really feel it in the center of my upper back, if that's where you're aiming.

shoulders?
    All weights in kilograms in my posts. 1 kg = 2,2 lbs

My training log.
    My foreign language study site.

Wannabebig Member
    No, inner back from the lowest point of insertion of the traps, all the way up.

PR blaster!
    yeah, I agree with magoo, bent over laterals work rear delts and traps very nicely....a great finisher exercise and helps for crappy upper back posture.
    "****, if you told teenagers it was trendy to wear a paper bag on their heads with holes for the eyes they'd all be doing it."

deadlifts and shrugs

Wannabebig Member
    When I do bent over laterals with DBs, I can get a good rear delt workout, but I can't feel it in the center of my back the way I can with cables. I always try to use strict form (light enough that I can pause at the top), which means ridiculously light weights. In my gym at least, I never see anyone use a controlled motion for either bent over DB laterals or for standing DB laterals. They all throw the weight up and some try to fight it down. Using the 'throw technique', even the newcomers can use as much or more weight than I do. Am I the only one who does laterals strictly? Any thoughts on whether strict form is as vital on exercises like these where there is not a definitive contracted position. I sometimes wonder if maybe I should be throwing the DBs up more on the bent DB laterals because this would allow them to reach a higher position due to the momentum of the movement, which would consequently contract the hard to reach (for me at least) inner/upper back muscles. All opinions welcomed!

Trying to figure this out JohnCollins's Avatar
    Everything I've read, and I mean everything, says form before weight. Evidently, the throwing around the weights syndrome involves so many other muscles, and its so hard to concentrate on and isolate the one you're actually trying to work, any possible benefit which might be due to the higher weight is wasted.

I think it's a basic "guy thing" psychologically to not want to grab a 10 or 15 pound DB for laterals, especially when there are other guys about. However, in Men's Fitness and the other exercise rags, I notice even the fitness models are using 8-10-15 usually for shoulder exercises. Shoulders just aren't that strong. And once you get to be a fitness model demonstrating exercises, I guess you just don't give a s**t what the alpha males think about the weight you're using.

Go for form and get some platemates, so you can split the diff between the DBs from 5 to 2.5 lbs. Not so important for other lifts, but extremely useful for shoulders, IMHO.

JPC

I like chinups and barbell rows.
    "When you have to kill a man, it costs nothing to be polite."

- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Way below radar
    Somewhere between cognitive dissonance and the egocentric dilemma
    Originally posted by sysopt
    yeah, I agree with magoo, bent over laterals work rear delts and traps very nicely....a great finisher exercise and helps for crappy upper back posture.
    That's one of my favorite exercises that I really should do more often. And you are absolutely right, sysopt...after I do them, I am much more aware of sitting/standing properly the rest of the day

I could give all to Time except - except
    What I myself have held. But why declare
    The things forbidden that while the Customs slept
    I have crossed to Safety with? For I am There,
    And what I would not part with I have kept.

--Robert Frost