The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Switching to PL squats, ... and some snatch deadlifting.

First time in an extremely long time, almost forgot how to do it. What's sad is I found it harder doing 308x3 then front squatting 352 x2, my posterior weakness is distrubing. As per Sensei's advice, I'm going to be taking a 6-8 week break from any Olympic style squatting and getting my rear into gear (man, I'm so funny...)

Video

And just cause its a good lift that Im proud of.
    Video
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wondered why you used that grip then read the title lol.
    Whats your conventional dead?
    Dude I remember you from when you were like 14. Trying to get back to that 500 squat?
    Best lifts: 245kg deadlift, 162kg Front Squat, 145kg bench, 105kg log press, 250kg yoke carry, 115kg farmers, No. 2.5 Captains of crush

Looked good to me Fuzzy. Make sure the abs stay tight on the box. How did those feel on the knees and hips? If it were me I would consider working on just adding volume for a while rather than pushing the intensity envelope.
    Last edited by Sensei; 04-15-2011 at 08:40 PM.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Looked good to me Fuzzy. Make sure the abs stay tight on the box. How did those feel on the knees and hips? If it were me I would consider working on just adding volume for a while rather than pushing the intensity envelope.
    I think this video might be more applicable.

Video

Since then I've narrowed the grip, lowered the elbows much more and brought the stance in a bit. But this seems to be the right track. I'm also aware it was a bit high, I still haven't quite learned what parallel feels like just yet.

It feels fantastic, amazing glute and hammie activating, my quads were much harder hit than I thought they would be and most importantly, I could get through it without going into the range where the knees hurt really badly. All up, an excellent switch I wish I had made sooner.

Louie Simmons is right, total strength > oly squatting. The way I see it, with my technique base and experience with Oly lifting, getting horrendously strong can only help.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

Get those elbows under the bar.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

I think Joey's right - keeping those elbows down will help keep the lats engaged.

I still think that building up volume at a moderate intensity rather than pushing heavy singles, doubles, triples will be your best bet for the next few weeks.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/