The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Ab myth?

Ab myth?

Yeah, summer time, so time to add some extra ab workouts to the routine. Now I was having this debate with another guy in my gym yesterday about side twists with a bar. He kept claiming that those widen your waist, even if you don't stack any weight on, because you train the muscle and therefor it gets thicker. Which seemed pretty in my eyes. As then, any exercise you would do to get rid of your "love handles" would in fact make your waist even more wider? I mean doing crossed sit ups is just the same then.. Basically he's saying that you shouldn't do any oblique excerices..

I was wondering what some of your opinions are as I'm not really an expert on the ground of abs training, but as far as I can remember side twists don't hurt you..Also to get rid of love handles, besides a diet & cardio, should you focus on overal ab development or more on obliques?

Cheers.
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You can't specifically do this or that exercise to get rid of love handles or any other type of fat. You can't spot reduce fat, it just doesn't work that way.

I'll let someone more qualified talk about oblique training but I doubt it will hurt your appearance to make your muscles bigger. If you do somehow get bulky and ugly obliques, you can always just stop training them.

From just a physique standpoint, I have seen some people such as cover models and things like that state they do not do oblique training specifically because of that reason. But thats almost like saying someone shouldnt do crunches or whatever because they are afraid they will look prego from all that ab mass. The problem is, however, without drugs, your abs do not have the potential to get huge. So its not something I'd worry about. Oblique training, core training, etc, can help to lift more weight for the bigger stuff.

If I were simply training for looks and not lifts, I doubt I'd waste my time doing oblique training or a ton of crunches to begin with. So its your call. I highly doubt its going to make you thick like a brick house down there.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Quote Originally Posted by RichMcGuire View Post
    From just a physique standpoint, I have seen some people such as cover models and things like that state they do not do oblique training specifically because of that reason. But thats almost like saying someone shouldnt do crunches or whatever because they are afraid they will look prego from all that ab mass. The problem is, however, without drugs, your abs do not have the potential to get huge. So its not something I'd worry about. Oblique training, core training, etc, can help to lift more weight for the bigger stuff.

If I were simply training for looks and not lifts, I doubt I'd waste my time doing oblique training or a ton of crunches to begin with. So its your call. I highly doubt its going to make you thick like a brick house down there.
    If you're training for looks and not lifts, wouldn't you do MORE isolation excercises instead of less?
    "When you promise yourself something, make a commitment, you can't give up. Because, when you're in the gym, you have to fulfill the promise you made to yourself. The people who can self motivate - in any field - are usually the ones who win. Regardless of talent." T. Platz

Quote Originally Posted by Shemz View Post
    If you're training for looks and not lifts, wouldn't you do MORE isolation excercises instead of less?
    Where did I say to not do any isolation movements? You're asking about twisting around to work your obliques. Getting your body fat low is the best remedy for abs.
    Last edited by RichMcGuire; 04-21-2011 at 02:54 PM.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Banned
    Is this an Anime forum, or bb'ing forum??

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    You should get a Gohan avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Hahaha I was thinking the same thing. I'm a DBZ fan though so I can relate...

I don't mind a bit of DBZ myself, actually.

Don't try to go Super Saiyan in real life, though. I tried it once. Just ended up shitting my pants.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

www.garethkpengelly.co.uk