The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My homemade power rack, major progress

Well I posted a long time ago about the power rack I drew up in autocad. well I finally buckled down and built it. I was able to use a shop and get all the metal at their cost, and a friend that does a lot of work for the place I work did the complicated welding and bending of parts. I will post up finished pics later, working on the top of the bench next, and having a upholstery place finish it.

It is a typical powerlifter rack. Band pegs, pull up bar on the front, sumo base. After I get it set up I will be squatting pulling and benching like crazy in it. quite excited to use chalk and not get crap, and finally be able to get back to a westside style routine. Now I just need to buy an affordable bar and plates.

I have 9 hours of build time in it so far, plus 2 hours from the welder roughly, and him helping me couple minutes here and there rest of day while he was on other projects. And about 80-100 bucks so far in materials.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SEOINAGE; 03-13-2011 at 10:34 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

thats a nice rack lol
    " though the pain may come over you, never let it overcome you "
    FUSCULAR*(fus*ku-lar)adj.: A large person who is a combination of fat and extreme muscular mass.
    Height-5'9
    Weight- 205
    Age-21
    (Raw lifts) - BP-325 SQ-600+ DL-520
    My journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...art&highlight=

very awesome, looks like a great rack.

Thanks guys i think it will fit my needs nicely

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    wow..... you have one nice rack there.......

thats only 8-100 dollars in material? that blows my mind. steel is ungodly expensive and i cant imagine that it is that cheap. but awesome if it is.

1.80 a foot for the square tube is the majority of the cost

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    1.80 a foot for the square tube is the majority of the cost
    You must have a good deal through that shop if you're getting square tube for $1.80/foot. Is that 2" or 3"?

awesome bro

good luck on finding some affordable plates

Makes me want to open up Catia V5 and design one myself. Did you print a .pdf version of your CAD drawings? I'd love to see them if it's okay with you.

Quote Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
    You must have a good deal through that shop if you're getting square tube for $1.80/foot. Is that 2" or 3"?
    Hmmm yeah, perforated 2"x2" steel tubing with 1" thickness is about 50$/6' (low carbon and galvanized) through Mcmasterr-Carr... sounds like a great deal actually.

Anyways, look at Craigslist for plates. For bars, I found some good sites, but I'm in Canada.

I will share my final cost in a day or two, I can print a pdf if you want it, i actuall designed it as a 3x3 rack, but ended up making it a 2x2. The 1.80 is what I was originally quoted on cost, he is also going to get me his cost on the horse stall mats that I am needing. He will have a final price for me tomorrow after he measures and adds up what i used, either way it saves me a ton over buying one and having it shipped. krm I will see if I can't print you a pdf and send it your way, although the drawing isn't exactly what I did as I changed a number of things when I actually did it. If I ever did it again I would have way less holes, and make an extra set of jcups to split the gap if needed.

Looks good, can't wait to see the finished pics.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

What are you using for the safety pins? I have a rack and am in need of some different pins instead of the ones that came with it. Looks good man, real good.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    What are you using for the safety pins? I have a rack and am in need of some different pins instead of the ones that came with it. Looks good man, real good.
    half inch rod, with a sleave of stuff with a 3/4" ID. bent the end of the rod at a 90, and the other tube was scrap

that's sweet Seoinage,
    you guys that have the tools, space and know how should seriously consider accepting orders from forum members for customized stuff.
    I been thinking of making a pull-up tower, but I lack all the tools, shop and not much of craftsman.

$140.89 is what I paid for my metal.

rubber mats are going to be like 140 for a total of 6x8 area
    another close to 140 for the plywood and glue and misc.

I also gave my friend 40 bucks for helping me.

As much as I would love to make and sell gym equipment, unless I developed a fast way to set and do everything or hire a kid to do half the annoying parts, which is possible it wouldn't be worth it. 9 hours of my time is 300 bucks. plus really paying a welder is going to be another chunk for his time, plus 140+ for mats, you are looking at being as expensive as anyone else on the market. but this way you get it customized if you want something specific.

Very cool.
    Best Lifts unequipped
    Best lifts Equipped

Thankfully Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Made a bit more progress tonight, wood section of base is done, wood cover for flat bench done with holes and the backing plate things, dunno what they are called that stick in the plywood. Coat of primer on the rack and parts that are getting painted.

Wannabebig Member
    Looks killer, SEOINAGE!

Quote Originally Posted by cic View Post
    Looks killer, SEOINAGE!
    Thanks, a bit more done. I was putting it together, and one of the plates on the top cross members got put on backwards or rotated a bit. so I have been filing one hole so it lines up, just taking forever. Getting excited, although I might have to do the upholstery myself, because the only place around hasn't had anyone there, and won't return my call, guess they don't need the work. I can always order foam and cover, and fold it at the corners and staple it under, but I can't sew the thing right without a decent machine.
    Last edited by SEOINAGE; 03-18-2011 at 07:07 PM.

I'm trying to find some decent hooks I can bolt to the platform to hook bands to for banded deadlifts, wasn't anything at my lumber yard, can try hardware store, or else make something. I have seen it done by other people, but don't recall what they used, if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by SEOINAGE View Post
    I'm trying to find some decent hooks I can bolt to the platform to hook bands to for banded deadlifts, wasn't anything at my lumber yard, can try hardware store, or else make something. I have seen it done by other people, but don't recall what they used, if anyone has any ideas please let me know.
    They make actual band pegs for power racks, but don't know if they'd fit the measurements for what you've got. I did a google search and came up with several sized pegs for bands. I gotta get me some to use as well. My rack ended up being fixed with a replacement part they shipped me, so my issue has been solved, finally. Racks coming along very nicely man, I'm sure you'll get some good use out of that sucker.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Quote Originally Posted by Mark! View Post
    They make actual band pegs for power racks, but don't know if they'd fit the measurements for what you've got. I did a google search and came up with several sized pegs for bands. I gotta get me some to use as well. My rack ended up being fixed with a replacement part they shipped me, so my issue has been solved, finally. Racks coming along very nicely man, I'm sure you'll get some good use out of that sucker.
    thanks i can't wait to be done and use it.

I actually drilled band peg holes and have the rod with backing plate for it but like u said the position won't work so well for deadlifts, but simply bolting something to the platform should work,

Crikey, its a 30 foot ape! Kong's Avatar
    Thats awesome. I've got a friend working on the plans for making me one. Its gonna cost about £100 for the box section and hes making the rest including the weights from scrap steel at work.
    Current 1RM's - Bench 264lbs (Target 308lbs)/Squat 396lbs (Target 352lbs)/
    Deadlift 429lbs (Target 440lbs)
    BIG 3 TOTAL at 220lbs (28% BF) = 1089lbs
    6ft 2, 234lb fat, hairy ape!
    My journal - http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...sion-of-an-ape

"This stuff will make you a sexual Tyrannosaurus. Just like me!" As said by the great Jesse 'The Body' Ventura

Banned
    Thanks guys, I think that for my needs very well