Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Duke Lacrosse Story

Duke Lacrosse Story

So I've been following this story pretty close from living in that area and being a pretty big college lacrosse fan. When the story came out I was talking to a buddy and I said something doesn't seem right. These guys couldn't be that stupid. Granted, the case isn't over and we really don't know a ton about it, but there are a few things we due know and a few things in the rumor mill.

- DNA samples are all negative and there is no DNA incriminating any team member.
    - the email were the one player was demonized was taken from the movie "American Psycho", which happens to be the teams favorite movie and they are constantly quoting scenes from that movie. I believe that kid was kicked out of school.
    - the coach resigned (umm, you can resign or we will fire you)
    - LAX season was ended
    - students house was protested and all the LAX players basically have not come back to school

Here is what I have heard in the rumor mill from buddies who have brothers playing LAX in the ACC. These guys had strippers come over and this black girl comes in and she looks all messed up, bruises on her arms and legs, and she is nasty looking. Fat and ugly. The guys lay in to her, making fun of her, telling her to get out, and that they aren't going to pay her. They argued about the money, not sure if she was paid or not.

No charges have been filed, but according to the DA it is not going away. And why would that be? b/c the DA is up for re-election. They also play up that the LAX players have history of run ins with the law. Consisting of under age drinking, public intoxication and urinating in public -- what college guy doesn't have one of those?. THe stripper has a robbery charge I believe, (not positive, but believed I heard it on the radio).

What if this turns out to be a lie or a hoax? Is anything going to happen to this girl? She gets pissed and destroys all these peoples lives and a universities name. What about the Duke President? I think he should lose his job, made a lot of rash decisions. Also all that face time talking about the email he read and how he was disgusted. DID HE EVEN TALK TO ANYONE ABOUT IT? and finally my favorite people -- the tree hugging protestors. Are they going to apologize? Will they admit they were wrong? Doubt it.

As bad as it sounds I hope she did not lie about this b/c this has ruined so many people's lives.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by BilltheButcher
    the tree hugging protestors
    Lacrosse is teh devil because of all the trees they cut down to make sticks!!!!

Jumping to conclusions is not good exercise, but you're doing it as much as everyone else!

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Ugh- I hate to say it but I've basically turned a blind eye to much of this, and will continue to do so until the truth comes out (if it ever does).
    Working in Durham at a company comprised of roughly 85% women has made me pretty sick of hearing about it.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

from my personal experience with the kids on the duke lacrosse team, they are complete douchebags who deserve all of this, regardless of whether or not a shred of it is true (which i believe it is not). it's too bad the lone black member of the team isn't as wrapped up in this whole thing, he's the biggest prick in the lot of them.
    Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man Schweigen.

~L. Wittgenstein

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Jumping to conclusions is not good exercise, but you're doing it as much as everyone else!
    Very true, very true. Problem is I am never wrong.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Very true, very true. Problem is I am never wrong.
    Hmm, good point.

I did love Slate's headline about this: "Worst of Preppies + Worst of Athletes = Lacrosse Players"

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by Narcissus
    from my personal experience with the kids on the duke lacrosse team, they are complete douchebags
    They were at ND, too. I think it's a common trait of a college lax player.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Generally, I found that most guys in college athletics are d*ck heads. The guys I played FB with in college, I would say 50% of them were d*cks to the regular kids in college. Always going out of their way to intimidate and goof on people. Anyways, LAX players are basically country club kids and this is where the big uproar of race and class came in. THe rich white kids using and abusing the poor black girl. Now the DNA seems to have proved that none of them raped her. If none of these guys were involved then everyone should go out of their way to profusely apologize for destroying all of their lives.

Hold on, they are in trouble for possibly raping the ugly stripper or for making fun of her and possibly not paying her?

This seems like a pretty insane conclusion to jump to if so. Wasn't Duke lacrosse having a pretty good year?

Now the DNA seems to have proved that none of them raped her.
    The defense attorney said that. And you can't prove a negative. Nothing has been proven in any sort of legal or logical way.

Lack of DNA evidence does not absolve anyone of anything in this case; it makes it harder for the DA to prove something perhaps, as it should, because the burden of proof is on the presecution. But the DA is proceeding, so I assume that there is more evidence beyond the circumstantial, because he would definately lose his dumb election if it came out that he was that f'ing stupid.

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    Yup, just because the DNA isn't there doesn't mean that the stripper wasn't assaulted. She could be lying, of course, but that will be determined at a later date. For now we have to do our patriotic duty and tune into LAX player bashing media reports.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

seems like another case of people wanting there to be (x) and seeing (x)

people that want to see injustice, victimization, & oppression at every turn loved this

now, not so much

the same people being so vocal this week will surely say nothing if & when these boys are absolved

i steered clear of athletes, frat boys, & the like in college

but doesn't mean they deserve to have their lives ruined over a lie
    the fear of losing removes the desire to win

Lack of DNA evidence does not absolve anyone of anything in this case; it makes it harder for the DA to prove something perhaps, as it should, because the burden of proof is on the presecution. But the DA is proceeding, so I assume that there is more evidence beyond the circumstantial, because he would definately lose his dumb election if it came out that he was that f'ing stupid.
    Like my lawyer says DNA SCHMENA. Its the perfect defense.

Like my lawyer says DNA SCHMENA. Its the perfect defense.
    What? I thought the perfect defense was like the one where you get pulled over for driving drunk and you slam a shot in front of the cop; "NOW I'm drunk, but I wasn't before!" So you just have to go to the crime scene and "leave DNA evidence" all over.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    This seems like a pretty insane conclusion to jump to if so. Wasn't Duke lacrosse having a pretty good year?
    I thought they won it all last year.

D 435 / S 340 / B 305

Journal

"I avoid talking to normal people about this stuff as much as possible. It's usually a waste of time." - HahnB

"OMG HE EETS 2 MUCH0RZ!!111 O NOES HE EETS TEH FATS!!!111" - PowerManDL

"Test does a body good." - Severed Ties

Quote Originally Posted by Beast
    I thought they won it all last year.
    Lost in the finals to John Hopkins 9-8. The thing is I believe they were 2006 preseason #1 and they had basically all freshman and sophmores coming back from 2005. An awesome defensive team.

Lacrosse is teh devil because of all the trees they cut down to make sticks!!!!

Lacrosse shafts are made of aluminum and titanium.

I was disgusted about how the community jumped all over the players with no proof. I thought in this country we were innocent until proven guilt, but the opposite is the case here. I know many college lacrosse players and coaches. There is almost always a streak of arrogance in the players. But to condem them without any proof was wrong. They were hanging flyers on campus with the players pictures. They were banging pots and pans at kids as they walked down the street. While it's still not certain that they are innocent, they have to be treated like they are innocent until they are proven guilty.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Yeah I agree completely. I read up on the story and asked some friends that go to Duke/UNC about this whole thing. They said it has become kind of out of control. These guys haven't been proven guilty of anything, and it looks like the "victim" could have made just about the entire thing up -- she couldn't even pick all the alleged assaulters out of a lineup.

Lost in the finals to John Hopkins 9-8. The thing is I believe they were 2006 preseason #1 and they had basically all freshman and sophmores coming back from 2005. An awesome defensive team.
    They were preseason #2, Hopkins was preseason #1.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Lacrosse is for guys who couldn't hack it on the football team.

There, I said it.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner
    Lacrosse shafts are made of aluminum and titanium.
    LOL. Yes, I know. I played during many summers -- I was a decent midfielder at age 12!

Wannabebig New Member
    I'm still irritated with the fact that people on here actually played LAX ...
    Give me your broken , give me your beaten ... I will build them up , I will lead them ... to the threshhold . Make you stronger , make you believe .

Quote Originally Posted by Bizatch
    Yeah I agree completely. I read up on the story and asked some friends that go to Duke/UNC about this whole thing. They said it has become kind of out of control. These guys haven't been proven guilty of anything, and it looks like the "victim" could have made just about the entire thing up -- she couldn't even pick all the alleged assaulters out of a lineup.
    That's about the extent of it. I'm honestly sick of hearing about it, sick of this garbage dump of a city that suddenly decides to bite the hand that feeds it. I have seen a tremendous amount of racism and bigotry in this town. Unfortunately, the vast majority of it has been in the last few weeks, and all directed against Duke students.

Don't get me wrong, the vast majority of people at this school ARE pretty damn worthless, but this labeling is out of control.

The DA is grandstanding on this case.. imagine that, a white male DA who has been previously accused of racism and favoring white, privileged upper-class people has suddenly decided to take a case on personally for the first time in five years. Just so happens that the case is defending a black woman against three white men. Just so happens his main opponent in the race is black. Just so happens that he is being anything BUT fair and patient in his assessment of the situation. No district attorney worth **** would be so needlessly inflammatory in his wording; the man sounds like he's leading a witch hunt, which is what it appears to be quickly becoming.

The second dancer didn't corroborate the accuser's story; she heard nothing of the rape until she was asked to confirm the accuser's account. There was no DNA ANYWHERE in the bathroom. 30 minutes of gang rape, assault, and sodomy do not transpire without a single hair from the woman ending up out of place; neither does this all happen without a shred of DNA from the men ending up on her. She claimed she lost her fingernails CLAWING at her attackers. No injuries were found on any of the men. And no DNA was found under her fingernails.

She now claims she can pick one of the men out of the lineup. Gee, that's evidence. She was AT THIS HOUSE with these guys, which nobody denies, and had a chance to get a look at all of them. It proves nothing that she can turn around and describe ONE of them and claim an attack.

There are photos showing her already bruised and slightly ruffled looking when she arrived. WHEN SHE ARRIVED. One does not pose for multiple pictures with a big grin on her face after 30 minutes of rape that one barely escapes from. She made no mention of trying any sort of ruse to escape (which would be probably the only explanation for this kind of activity).

So what's the evidence? No DNA. No witnesses. No corroboration from the second dancer. The physical evidence is suspect, and likely proven to have occured previously.

I'm sorry. I was as shocked and pissed off as everybody else when the story broke. I ****ing hate some of these guys, and wouldn't be remotely surprised that this **** could go down. But nothing adds up, and quite honestly it infuriates me at how quickly the accused are found guilty these days. No charges, and these guy's lives are over. The actions of the DA are reprehensible, and the ignorance shown by the protesters are disgusting.

And the last thing that shocks me... some of the elderly black men here probably remember the days when racism was a very ugly everyday reality. A black man WOULD end up in jail were he ever accused of touching a white woman. But in those days, that was very likely for his protection. Lynch mobs, anybody? A gang of angry people who would play judge, jury, and executioner without any proof; without any justification other than the words of one individual. Terrifying, that one could be so ruined by an accusation.

Odd that the children of the men who remember these days are the ones doing the exact same thing. Granted, the result may be less violent, but is the mentality any different? The paper quoted one Durham resident as saying , after being told that the DNA came back negative across the board, "The neighborhood would still like to see something- one or more (lacrosse players) found guilty." (quoted from the Chronicle)

Hm. Still wanting guilt to be assigned to a group because the neighborhood wants it? Still holding on to an assumption of guilt in spite of mounting evidence? Sounds familiar.

At the end of the day, they could still be guilty. But that doesn't make any of this **** right.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Nice ****ing post, Bel.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    Nice ****ing post, Bel.
    :withstupi