The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Training for First Competition

Wanted to start an online log of my training up to this competition and hopefully beyond. I am in the offseason right now of being a varsity baseball coach. My players are lifting three times per week and have open gyms on three other days, so time is a little rough. Although it can be tough to find energy getting to the gym, I am definitely training hard for my first competition, which is on Jan. 30. I will be lifting in SLP and just going Push / Pull. I plan on going 6 for 6 with conservative attempts just to get my foot in the door so to speak.
    After this meet, I will be going full swing into baseball season. This means maintaining my numbers as much as possible and getting my arm in shape for throwing a million rounds of batting practice. Once our season is over, I plan on doing a full meet with IPA or USAPL in the raw division. I will be posting videos and training info as the meet gets closer. Any help is appreciated.
    My training for the meet is really bench and deadlift oriented, with some box squatting done for speed on Mondays. My split right now looks like this:

Monday: DE Squat / Quad Dominant Exercises

Tuesday: Bench (Linear Progression Peaking for the Meet)

Wednesday: OFF / Foam Roll / Stretch

Thursday: OFF / Foam Roll / Stretch

Friday: Deadlift (Coan / Philipi Modified Slightly So I Don't Die...)

Saturday: DE Bench
    Current Lifts (All RAW):
    Bodyweight: 205

Deadlift: 480 x 1
    Squat: 375 x 1
    Bench: 335 x 1
    Training Log: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...st-Competition

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Training up to this point....

I have been hitting it hard for this upcoming competition for about ten weeks now. My beginning training maxes were:
    Squat - 330
    Bench - 315
    Deadlift - 395

My current maxes are in my signature, so I am very happy with the progress thus far. At the beginning of this training cycle, my lifting buddies and I went on the GOMAD diet. This led me to gain fifteen pounds and caused me to split my pants at work haha (most embarrassing moment of my life). Overall, I have been using linear progression on my bench. Started with three weeks of eights, went to three weeks of fives, now at my last week of triples. All lifts are going up and PR's are being set almost every week. Deadlift has been Coan / Phillipi almost exactly. The only difference has been in the speed sets - I go a little lighter, but use bands or chains to work on explosiveness. Coan / Phillipi is brutal and has caused me to change my squat routine to a parallel box instead of free squatting. My back couldn't take the volume twice per week. Right now squatting off a parallel box with chains to get my speed and deadlift up. Things are going well....Here are a couple videos from the last few months. Still getting a hard time for taking video at my gym...

Current Lifts (All RAW):

Monday - Squat + Deadlift...Catching up from missing workout due to Christmas.

Parallel Box Squat + 80 lbs of Chains:
    135 x ?
    225 + Chains x 2
    275 + Chains x 2
    275 + Chains x 2

Deadlift:
    135 x ?
    185 x 5 x 2
    225 x 5
    275 x 5
    315 x 2
    365 x 2
    385 x 2 (Felt heavier than usual. Has to be due to long layoff from Christmas)

Sumo Speed Sets (Not gonna guess band and chain resistance...)
    135 x 3
    185 x 3
    225 x 3 x 3

Kroc Rows
    90 x 10, 120 x 8, 120 x 15

Underhand Pulldowns
    170 x 8 for 3 sets

Blue Band Good Morning for 2 sets of whatever...

I felt anxious to get back in the gym after a couple days off due to the holidays. My training partner looked at me before the workout started and said, "Let's f'n kill it..." So that explains some of the randomness from today. Back to normal with the Coan / Phillipi on Friday. Hoping that I can recover. I'm off from teaching right now, so rest will be possible. Lots of foam rolling over the next two days should do it. Here is a video of the band and chain sumo from today.
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

Bench

Bench:
    Bar x ?
    135 x ?
    185 x 5 x 2
    225 x 5
    275 x 3
    300 x 3 ***Bad cramp in hip flexor on last rep. Probably due to Sumo Pulls Monday.
    315 x 3 (BIG PR!!!)

DB Incline:
    90 x 10
    100 x 10
    110 x 10

Purple Band Pushdowns:
    3 x 10

Rolling DB Extensions:
    35 lbs x 10 for 5 sets

Cable Curls: Lots

Face Pulls: Red Band x Lots

I trained a bunch of my players this morning around 8:00. They were all really excited to get into the gym. After I was done with them, I ate some brunch and got after it. With the holiday break, a lot of the usuals got to come into the gym early. The atmosphere was great. My goal was to hit 315 for 3. This is an all time PR for me. I absolutely murdered it! Definitely feeling the high of PR right now! My grandpa spotted me, (I lift in his gym), and he was ecstatic for me. Great feeling today. Hit a bunch of accessory after. Everything's going as planned!

***When I got home, my new belt from Inzer came in with some ammonia caps. Excited for Friday's deadlift day. Heading down to Tennessee tomorrow to watch UT beat up on UNC. Father-in-law just told us he got tickets yesterday. Should be a good time.
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

Some nice work in here. Good job on the bench PR!!! Also, try getting your hips down and chest up a little bit more when you pull sumo.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page
    Training by Tone Barbaccio
    New Dimensions Wellness & Education

Best geared meet @ 242
    1030SQ, 640BP, 685DL and 2355 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 242
    665SQ, 440BP, 727DL and 1815 total
    Best raw meet w/sleeves @ 275
    700SQ, 452BP, 722DL and 1874 total

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements
    Vanilla Gorilla

really solid work and strong numbers! good luck in your first comp! make sure you're recovering good though. i've tried the Coan/Philipi DL routine and it's twisted, but if you recover it's really effective. keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hopper View Post
    Some nice work in here. Good job on the bench PR!!! Also, try getting your hips down and chest up a little bit more when you pull sumo.
    Thanks a ton on the form suggestion! I really don't get a lot of deadlift advice at my gym as most guys are bench only. I'll work on that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by thatNUCKOLSkid View Post
    really solid work and strong numbers! good luck in your first comp! make sure you're recovering good though. i've tried the Coan/Philipi DL routine and it's twisted, but if you recover it's really effective. keep up the good work!
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm really noticing that it can be really rough if not recovering well enough. I've tried tweaking a little to manage that. For instance, I've been doing light good mornings (95 or 135 for sets of 8) instead of 3 sets of 5 like the program suggests. Also, RDL's are done lighter too. I've already put over 30 pounds on my DL, so it definitely is working. Thanks again!
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

If you can, try and take some video from different angles and I'll try to help you out.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

Vanilla Gorilla

If you can, try and take some video from different angles and I'll try to help you out.
    I definitely will have them up by this weekend.
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

Deadlift

Deadlift:

135 x ?
    185 x 8
    225 x 5
    275 x 2
    315 x 2
    365 x 2
    405 x 2
    430 x 1 (5 pound PR! Got talked into a single! Great atmosphere today.

Speed Deadlift Sumo:
    275 x 3 x 3

Power Shrugs:
    315 x 8
    370 x 5
    420 x 5

Pull Ups (For the hell of it...)
    BW x 10, BW + 25 x 8, BW + 30 x 8

Underhand Pulldowns
    170 x 8 x 3

Good Mornings
    95 x 8 x 3

Med Ball Decline Sit Ups
    2 x 10

Had a great atmosphere at the gym today. The Saturday morning bench crew was in due to everybody going out late tonight. I wasn't even sure if I would be able to go in today. I was at the Music City Bowl last night in Nashville. It was a six hour drive and the game didn't end until 11. We got stuck in traffic and didn't get home until 5:00 this morning. Slept from 11:30 to 2:30 in the van (which wasn't much sleep actually). I drove the last leg from 2:30 to 5:00. Then I got up at 9:00 to lift at 10:00. Needed some serious motivation getting up and going. Brought a few ammonia caps, a lot of Rage Against the Machine on the way to the gym, and screaming training partners did the trick. I love this sport!

Here is a video of the 430 (Sorry Hopper, I didn't video the sumo pulls on speed today. Any help on conventional would be great too.)

Current Lifts (All RAW):

Good job on the PR!!!!! The first thing I saw was you let all your air out once you started pulling. Also, I think your feet might be a little to wide for your build. Try to fill your belly full of air and you want to do that so you can push off on your belt. I'm not very good at picking whats wrong with someones conventional pull like I can a sumo pull. I know it's weird since I am a conventional puller, lol. I'll take a look at it later tonight and see if there is anything else I can find. Happy New Year!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

Vanilla Gorilla

Good job on the PR!!!!! The first thing I saw was you let all your air out once you started pulling. Also, I think your feet might be a little to wide for your build. Try to fill your belly full of air and you want to do that so you can push off on your belt. I'm not very good at picking whats wrong with someones conventional pull like I can a sumo pull. I know it's weird since I am a conventional puller, lol. I'll take a look at it later tonight and see if there is anything else I can find. Happy New Year!!!!
    Thanks for the advice! I will try to narrow my stance and keep my air in better. Anything else would be appreciated. Thanks again and have a happy new year also.
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

Quote Originally Posted by smallwoodjt View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I will try to narrow my stance and keep my air in better. Anything else would be appreciated. Thanks again and have a happy new year also.
    No problem, just try different foot placements and see what works best for you and what's more comfortable. Personally, I don't like my feet that wide because I can't get my hips down into a good pulling position.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

Vanilla Gorilla

DE Bench:

185 + 60 pounds of chain x 9 x 3 (Varying grips)

DB Incline Bench:

80 x 15 x 3

Purple Band Pushdowns

3 x 15

DB Rolling Tricep Extensions

35 x 10 x 5

Face Pulls (Red Band)

3 x 20

Just getting work done today. Really trying to stay tight on all my bench sets and working on leg drive. I finished up quickly today and got some protein in me. Feeling a little run down today from the week due to weird sleep hours. School starts back up tomorrow, ready for the kiddies to be a little crazy on the first day back. My lifting buddy from last year came in today. I let him use my Rage X single ply and he hit a 30 pound PR of 455 at 19 years old and 200 pounds. He is a freak with a crazy arch. He'll be well into the fives this summer if he trains hard. Excited to see him make such a big lift. Meet is less than a month away now. Dialing it in...
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

Good job on the speed day!!! What meet are you doing? That is pretty impressive, 19@200 putting up that much weight already. My best at 19 was 525@241 in a Inzer double denim closed back. I also bench with a flat back and no leg drive, haha. I wish I knew back then what I know now.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

Vanilla Gorilla

Good job on the speed day!!! What meet are you doing? That is pretty impressive, 19@200 putting up that much weight already. My best at 19 was 525@241 in a Inzer double denim closed back. I also bench with a flat back and no leg drive, haha. I wish I knew back then what I know now.
    Thanks! He is definitely strong and a good athlete. From day one, he was trained by my grandpa who has been in the bench game for over 30 years...so he had a great foundation. That's a huge bench at 19 in your case though. Great job man!
    We really do have a strong team of younger lifters. We have two 165 guys that are benching 400 RAW at 17 and 18 years old. Due to it being a bench only type of gym, I'm trying to convert guys to the other two lifts. I think it is going well...they all committed to doing a meet this summer. We are gonna travel together, should be a good time. Thanks again for the encouragement.
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

Oh...forgot about the meet. I am going to do a Son Light Power Meet in Indianapolis on January 30. I'm really just doing this one to get my feet wet competing. I'll look into something more formal when it comes to my second meet this summer.
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

DE Squat

Box Squat to 12" Box

135 x ?
    135 + 80 pounds of chain x 2 x 5 sets
    185 + 80 pounds of chain x 2 x 3 sets (Last set, felt like speed was too slow...)
    155 + 80 pounds of chain x 2 x 4 sets

Leg Press

480 x 15, 570 x 10, 660 x 10

Leg Extensions

130 x 10 x 4 sets

Incline Med Ball Sit-Ups

3 x 10

First day back to school went surprisingly well. Trying to make sure to keep stress levels down at work. With work + masters work + baseball coaching + grading papers + bills, etc, I need to keep training intense and focused. Felt good with the workout today. Definitely looking to hit some big PR's in the next few weeks.
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

Wow, that's alot of strong *** teenagers!!! Back when I was a teen, I was much stronger raw then I am now but I'm alot stronger in gear now then I was then. It's cool you guys will all travel together and do a meet. Training with a big team like that really helps. We had a big crew, but most of them branched off to strongman training. We still help each other out at meets and in the gym.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

Vanilla Gorilla

Definitely great having guys all pumped about the sport and supporting each other at meets and in training.

Quick question if you have time man...Do you guys have a PR board? We've had some gym drama over the last few weeks to the point where our PR board was erased all together. Nobody wanted to be the form Nazi, so ridiculous red lights were being put up as PR's. Some hostility ensued, and it turned into a petty argument with sides taken and everything. How have you seen this handled in the past or at your gym? Not really sure how I feel about it.
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

No, we don't have a PR board. I usually just keep track of my own PR's. It sucks that your board got erased. Hopefully you guys can get it straightened out.
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

Vanilla Gorilla

Heavy Bench Day

Bench:

Bar x ?
    135 x ?
    185 x 8
    225 x 5 x 2
    275 x 2
    300 x 2
    325 x 2 (PR!)

DB Bench:

100 x 10
    110 x 10
    120 x 10 (All time PR! Been wanting this one for a long time.)

Tricep Pushdowns:

3 x 8

Rolling DB Extensions:

40 x 10 x 3, 55 x 10 x 2, 65 x 8

Purple Band Pushdowns:

2 x 12

Machine Fly:

2 sets of lots (mainly rehab from strained pec last year...)
    Last edited by smallwoodjt; 01-05-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    Current Lifts (All RAW):

Good job on the PR!!!!
    My Training Log
    My YouTube page

Best geared meet @ 242

Sponsored By:

10/20/Life

Vanilla Gorilla

Deadlift 1-7-2011

Deadlift:

135 x ?
    185 x 8
    225 x 6
    275 x 3
    315 x 3
    365 x 1
    405 x 1
    440 x 1 (PR!)

Power Shrugs:
    225 x 10, 275 x 5, 315 x 5, 365 x 5

SLD:

3 x 5 w/ 225

DB Row:

3 x 5 w/ 100

Underhand Pulldown:

3 x 5 w/ 190

Blue Band Good Mornings:

2 x 15

Great day today! Everything keeps moving forward. I know my big problem on this deadlift PR was holding my air in. For whatever reason, when I'm straining, I want to let the air out. Need to fix this problem ASAP. Moved my feet closer together and this seemed to help. I feel like I have another 20 pounds in me.

Current Lifts (All RAW):

DE Bench

Speed Bench w/ 80 Pounds of Chain:

135 x 3 x 9 (Varied grips every three sets)

Barbell Incline:

185 x 8, 205 x 8, 225 x 8

DB Incline:

80 x 15, 90 x 15

Rope Pushdowns

130 x 10 x 3

DB Rolling Extensions

35 x 10 x 6

Purple Band Pushdowns

2 x 15

Red Band Face Pulls

2 x Lots