Thread: Shortest time between meets?

Shortest time between meets?

I am curious what is the shortest amount of time between meets anyone has done? Is there an average down time? I ask because i've been training for a meet on June 20, but I now see one on June 18 that I would also like to compete in. My June 20 meet is a full meet and I was wondering if I did bench only in the first meet two days earlier if I would most likely bomb out on bench for the second meet?
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Best RAW lifts squat 385- bench 400x2 reps- DL 395
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Wow man 2 days? No way in hell that would work out. I take a solid week off from everything a week before and after a meet.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

I have benched at WABDL Worlds on a Wednesday for Masters and then again on Saturday for Open. But, I bombed on Wed, lowered my opener and ended up with 2nd place in Open. I'm sure missing the three lifts on Wednesday hurt more than if I'd gotten them. Also, I was wasted for a full week after and thats just for bench only.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

What is the point of competing that often? Ive always waited a few months between meets at least (I prefer 6-8 actually). This gives lots of time to find your peak points and improve on them. Ive done meets 3 weeks apart before and unless you bombed on the first meet I don't see much point. Actually, if I bombed at the first one I would likely want even more time off so I could figure out what went wrong and fix it.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

The meet on June 20 will be the first full meet i'm entering and there is a record that I have been after and plan on beating in the police and fire games. The meet two days before this, is a meet open to the public and I would just like to compete, but not at the cost of doing poorly and ruining my chance of breaking the record. I figured they were way too close together but just figured I would ask if it was possible.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

If you have a specific goal to break records in the full meet, why bother with a bench only meet that doesn't count for anything? You're just hurting your chances of doing well in the meet that counts.
    Can't wait 'til tomorrow, 'cause I get stronger every day!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryano View Post
    If you have a specific goal to break records in the full meet, why bother with a bench only meet that doesn't count for anything? You're just hurting your chances of doing well in the meet that counts.
    The record i'm after is just for bench, but i'm going to give the full meet a try. I've only been adding equal focus to squat and dead lift for about 10 months now. I understand your point though and agree. I am just eager to actually compete and get more experience. I've always worked out off and on but only got into powerlifting just over a year ago and am eager to progress.
    5'6" @ 210 lbs
    Single Ply Bench 535
    Sigle Ply Squat 505

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I'd go in, do your best, then give yourself a few months to improve before doing another meet.

The only reason I'd do a meet that close is if I bomb out from the first one.... you aren't getting any stronger in 2 days.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

I did the full meet at 2005 WPC Worlds in Finland and then the bench only 2 days later. I made a real easy 600 opener for the full meet and just missed locking 700. On bench only day I barely ground out 600 and 700 almost pinned me to the bench. I definately wasn't 100% on the second day but it worked out well. I won Gold both days and at the time broke both the Full meet and BP only WRs. I don't regret it a bit. It won't kill you; and you won't know if you don't try. If you want to do it strongly enough I'd say do it. I've done other meets a week apart a couple of times and did well in both meet. Most recently doing the 2010 APF Georgia in Sept. and a week later the APF Mississippi. I won both and set 3 Am. Records at the Ms. meet at 54 Y.O. It's good to challenge yourself sometimes. You'll find out you either can or can't hadle it. Either way, you learn something new about yourself. Good luck!
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    I'd go in, do your best, then give yourself a few months to improve before doing another meet.

The only reason I'd do a meet that close is if I bomb out from the first one.... you aren't getting any stronger in 2 days.
    I agree.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS