Thread: 16 Year Old General Help

Hybrid View

Wannabebig New Member

16 Year Old General Help

I just joined and this is my first post on any weightlifting website/forum. (I also don't
    know if there is another topic more well-suited for this )

Basically, I just want to know if my work out routines / nutrition is right for building muscles, and I'm not
    screwing up in some place.

Short description of me:
    -Male
    -16 years old (1 month from 17)
    -Current weight around 155lbs-160lbs
    -5ft 11'
    -Lifting for about 10months now

I've usually been working out 6 days a week, each day switching which body parts I work out.
    For example, Work-Out-1 would consist of my biceps, shoulders, back, and abs.
    Work-Out-2 would consist of chest, triceps, and legs. I'd alternate between those two different
    workout routines - Go on Monday do workout 1, go on Tuesday do workout 2, go on Wednesday do workout 1, etc... Sunday I rest. Each day I spend 1h - 1h 30m at the gym.

I would give the exact workouts I do for each body part, however that would take a long time
    (if anyone would like them, however, I will submit them... to further help critique me)

Nutrition:

I try to eat around 2800-3000 calories a day, and limit my fat and sugar consumption as much
    as possible (probably 400 calories from fat a day). I eat a lot of carbs and fruits, but not many
    vegetables. I also use Whey Protein throughout the day, and 30minutes after workouts.

At day one I weighed about 130, and now I'm up to 155ish, with some fat gain, but only very little. I'd give my body-fat percent, however I don't know it!

That about sums me up I suppose, tried to keep it short... which I believe I did! Yeah, I'd very much appreciate anyone
    with any comments to reply. Tell me if this look great and I should just keep on doing what I've
    been doing, PLEASE say something if I am doing it wrong, or recommendations.

Thanks in advance, and I'll be watching this post and try to reply to anyone who comments

6 days in the gym may be a little much. If you start to have recovery issues, your lifts stall, or you just aren't making good progress past the beginner stages...then try reducing the number of days you are in the gym. Your body will grow when you rest and recover, so it's important to take days off.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    So would something like 2 days working out, then 1 day of rest, and repeat be better? More of a 4-5 days-a-week workout?

My knee-jerk reaction to training days has always been three to four days a week. But it's true that some guys do better on more days and some guys do better on less days. The three to four days is just a general guideline and you'll have to find out what works best for you through trial and error and accurate journals. My best suggestion would be to find a good pre-made routine and give it a whirl for several months.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Off-Road has pretty much covered everything, but I will throw this tip out there:
    If you're playing, or plan on playing any team sports, school or otherwise, make sure you keep lifting (with reduced volume/frequency, of course) throughout those seasons. Taking too much time off means restarting at almost square one, and that really sucks.
    I've made that mistake... twice!
    Age: 20 / Height: 6' 1" / Weight: 200lbs / Squat: 315lbs / Deadlift: 325lbs / Bench: 225lbs

Hangar 18 - Journal

Like OR said, you just gotta gauge your progress. If you're making great progress on a 6 day routine, no need to change it up bud. Find a solid routine, starting strength is good, and there are plenty of others out there, and STICK TO IT. Don't try to change anything, just stick to the routine. Good luck, looking forward to seeing you around.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May