Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Carb Cycling diet

Banned

My Carb Cycling diet

Well, little background first...

I came on this forum 3 years ago or so and was skinny as a rail. I was about 180 pounds and at 6'5" with no muscle this wasn't pretty. Most on here said just squat and eat everything in sight...well I took that advice literally and gained all the way up to 245 and I made the 3/4/5 plate goal that I set for myself.

About two weeks ago, I was mowing the lawn shirtless because it was pretty hot out and I noticed that every step I took, I could feel my stomach bouncing and drooping. On top of that, my wife noticed it too as she peaked out the window to look at me. Not good!

So, I basically freaked out and went low carb for two weeks and I got all the way down to 233. Obviously way too drastic a change and my gym energy was non-existent. This motivated me to buy the lean gains book by Shelby Starnes..and here I am today.

I am two days into the diet..so far I have had just one low day and one high day. The diet will consist of two high days per week, one medium day, and four low days.

Since my weight will fluctuate daily, I will have to take pics to track progress. I will do this every week or two on a high carb day.

Here are the first pics...go easy on me . I am putting these here because it will motivate me to stick with the diet. Plus I want to help others in case this diet actually works out for me.

FRONT AND BACK FLEXED

You can see the potential for me being lean right? I SEE IT! This is motivation.

FRONT AND BACK - FAT AS FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
    This is also motivation because relaxed i look like one piece of lard.

Note the depressed face LOL.

Here are my low, medium, and high carb days..Adapted directly from lean gains.

Last edited by mchicia1; 04-28-2011 at 01:30 PM.

Mike you have a BARBARIC FRAME. Wow do you have so much potential. You have a lot of mass on you as it is, shoulders and lower back really stand out.

You're going to look nasty getting ripped up. I'm excited to watch you progress on stanes' protocols, big things should happen.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Sending you a PM
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

You look awesome bro. Once you cut up a little bit you'll look fantastic.

After seeing you mention Shelby's book, I just bought it lol. I looked over the diet and it seems very legit and something that would work well for me. Right now I've been doing kind of a combination of the high carb day with high protein and fats as well on work out days and the medium carb day on my off days. Its probably a recipe for disaster haha.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

LuNa
    Very solid base Mike. From the way you described it i was expecting something completely different. Dieting down should show some pretty sick results. Good luck dude!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Mike you have a BARBARIC FRAME. Wow do you have so much potential. You have a lot of mass on you as it is, shoulders and lower back really stand out.

You're going to look nasty getting ripped up. I'm excited to watch you progress on stanes' protocols, big things should happen.
    Thanks dude! I am hoping that I still look like I have some mass, even at 210 pounds after this is over. 210 looked skinny as hell on me the first time I hit that weight a couple years back, but maybe now since I will be a much lower BF%, I will still look good. I don't carry much mass in my legs yet, so that is probably why my body weight isn't more like 245-250 right now. I need to work on hitting the legs with higher volume. I train to failure on my upper body, but never on my lower. That is probably why I see a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    Sending you a PM
    Pming you back.

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    You look awesome bro. Once you cut up a little bit you'll look fantastic.

After seeing you mention Shelby's book, I just bought it lol. I looked over the diet and it seems very legit and something that would work well for me. Right now I've been doing kind of a combination of the high carb day with high protein and fats as well on work out days and the medium carb day on my off days. Its probably a recipe for disaster haha.
    Thanks Jay...I am pretty hard on myself, so all I see is a skinny fat guy. But that is a good thing I think, keeps me motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by RvNijnatten View Post
    Very solid base Mike. From the way you described it i was expecting something completely different. Dieting down should show some pretty sick results. Good luck dude!
    Thanks man...you should see a side pic of me...pretty prego!

if your serious about carb cycleing you shoulc e-mail shelby..he is very reasonable to work with and worth every penny imo..i worked with him for 12 weeks lost a ton if fat and get stronger,,
    APF ELITE @220- 1887
    APF ELITE @198- 1785
    GODS ARMYUNDEFEATED.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lenny00spero
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DJserrano2121

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lenny spero View Post
    if your serious about carb cycleing you shoulc e-mail shelby..he is very reasonable to work with and worth every penny imo..i worked with him for 12 weeks lost a ton if fat and get stronger,,
    Yes, actually I was going to do that first before I even bought the book. I have a lot going on right now financially though, so that will have to wait. Once I get to the point where I can bulk again, I will probably utilize his services. I think it was only $400 for 12 weeks? Thats a pretty good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Yes, actually I was going to do that first before I even bought the book. I have a lot going on right now financially though, so that will have to wait. Once I get to the point where I can bulk again, I will probably utilize his services. I think it was only $400 for 12 weeks? Thats a pretty good deal.
    When I used him I think it was 350 for 12 weeks.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    When I used him I think it was 350 for 12 weeks.
    Ya, both you and Lenny are a lot more advanced than I am though . Going to try it on my own first. When (if) I get to your guys level, then I will seek professional help.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 04-29-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Banned
    I am about 10 days into the diet and things are going well. My lifting belt is feeling extremely loose on the 4th hole, whereas before, I could barely get the 4th hole in.

My strength has been going up on everything....just today I pulled 505 and repped out 405 for 10 on deads. I was very surprised.

Updated pics coming soon.
    Last edited by mchicia1; 05-04-2011 at 06:51 PM.

I am about 10 days into the diet and things are going well. My lifting belt is feeling extremely loose on the 4th hole, whereas before, I could barely get the 4th hole in.

My strength has been going up on everything....just today I pulled 505 and repped out 405 for 10 on deads. I was very surprised.

Updated pics coming soon.
    awesome..its amazing how once you start eating properly your lifts respond quickly...even though i lost basically 30-40lbs my strength level increased on all my lifts..when you first loose the belly squats feel kinda weird due to the change in leverages..
    APF ELITE @220- 1887
    APF ELITE @198- 1785
    GODS ARMYUNDEFEATED.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lenny00spero
    http://www.youtube.com/user/DJserrano2121

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lenny spero View Post
    awesome..its amazing how once you start eating properly your lifts respond quickly...even though i lost basically 30-40lbs my strength level increased on all my lifts..when you first loose the belly squats feel kinda weird due to the change in leverages..
    Yes, I noticed both deads/squats felt different for sure. I think a lot of it was the fact that my belt was a lot looser...I can't quite get it on the 5th prong yet, so I am not getting much support from it right now. Ill see if I can take some updated pics tonight...It is almost 2 weeks into the diet, so it is probably the appropriate time.

Lenny, do you carb cycle to gain weight as well?

Banned
    Well I found a pic of a guy who represents exactly what I want to achieve....

Not sure if hes natty or not, but 6'5" 225 pounds at 8% body fat.

If I could look like that, I would be satisfied.

Banned
    Updated pics!

I am not good at posing and I am pasty white, so I included a few shots. Also, wife is away so I had to take them by myself. Tried to get as close as I could to the original shots. Do you see any progress? Not sure if I do yet, but I am down 3 pounds from the original shots. Looks like a little more definition in my chest and back? Tough to tell, but I think I see a little.

LMFAO, my arms in the relaxed frontal look like the whacky arm inflatable tube man from family guy.

Last edited by mchicia1; 05-06-2011 at 07:46 PM.

Banned
    More dieting PRs.

Nailed a 415 below parallel squat today and followed up with 315 x 10. Who says you gotta lose strength?

You continue to impress with the amount of muscle mass you have on you. I think a few months of dieting would have you looking pretty damn alike that aspiration shot you posted. Keep it up Mike!
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    You continue to impress with the amount of muscle mass you have on you. I think a few months of dieting would have you looking pretty damn alike that aspiration shot you posted. Keep it up Mike!
    Thanks for the encouragement. Was tough to stay on track this weekend...took my buddy out because he is getting married in a week, then mother's day. Looks like I didn't gain any weight back though, so I did ok. Gotta get back after it this week and slave away at the chicken and rice.

Banned
    Ok my weight is fluctuating now...231 yesterday now 229 today. I haven't dropped below 229 in a week though..is it time to make adjustments?

Ok my weight is fluctuating now...231 yesterday now 229 today. I haven't dropped below 229 in a week though..is it time to make adjustments?
    Don't sweat small fluctuations... Especially if they are in the right direction.

Not sure what your specific goals are... but if you are trying to get a lot leaner, within a small time frame, you can cut calories deeper and accept some strength loss.

A note on your PRs, I hit a couple after the first quarter of my cut. Just be prepared, cause those strength losses will occur as you start losing 10-15% of your body weight.
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 05-11-2011 at 12:57 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    Don't sweat small fluctuations... Especially if they are in the right direction.

Not sure what your specific goals are... but if you are trying to get a lot leaner, within a small time frame, you can cut calories deeper and accept some strength loss.

A note on your PRs, I hit a couple after the first quarter of my cut. Just be prepared, cause those strength losses will occur as you start losing 10-15% of your body weight.
    The time frame isnt that small...I just want to get decently lean by the time July rolls around. Weren't you losing 3 pounds per week though? Thats pretty significant and probably a lot to do with strength loss.

The time frame isnt that small...I just want to get decently lean by the time July rolls around. Weren't you losing 3 pounds per week though? Thats pretty significant and probably a lot to do with strength loss.
    I was averaging ~2.5lbs a week. Lost 13% of my original body weight. I'd guesstimate that I lost at least 10% on max lifts. I can do a one armed chin up now though

July is closer than you think
    Last edited by Raleighwood; 05-11-2011 at 07:53 PM.
    My 10 week cut results

"Sweat in training so you don't bleed in battle."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Raleighwood View Post
    I was averaging ~2.5lbs a week. Lost 13% of my original body weight. I'd guesstimate that I lost at least 10% on max lifts. I can do a one armed chin up now though

July is closer than you think
    Thats a lot of weekly weight loss! You look lean though, so it was worth it for you.

If I lose 10% of my strength, ill be very pissed.

I went through the same thing, the first 4-6 weeks of my 16 week cut were great. I was hitting PR's felt strong, was losing ~2 pounds a week. Then it seemed like wham right after the 8 week my strength completely tanked. I think you should keep it slow and steady, 1 pound a week really is enough imo if you're really concerned about strength.

However, I was doing fasted AM cardio 7 days a week as well....another note, strength loss could be a loss of leverage as opposed to lost muscle mass.

When my weight loss stagnated, Shelby cut me back from 2 high days a week to 1 high day, replacing the 2nd with a medium day. That started my fat loss right up again. Might be worth a shot.

LuNa
    I have been dieting for 19 weeks now and im still setting squat PR's. My bench stalled pretty much, but i feel its due to the leverage loss because of a smaller stomach. Strength isnt going up as fast as on a bulk, but it does seem to increase. I havent made any calorie adjustments over the 19 week period, only included a once a week carb refeed and switched some meals from P+C to P+F. Im taking it slow and loosing at around 1lbs a week.

A significant loss in strength isnt acceptable for me really and because i am not doing a show or something of that kind, i am taking my time.

Keep up the work Mike. Losses on the scale are not as important as progress mirror/picture wise. Stay patient and make adjustments after you have been stagnant for several weeks.