The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

660x1 deadlift (hitched) Where did it go wrong?

I've posted this on serveral other forums looking for the typical 'nice work bro' but now I want some advice on why this lift went so damn ugly.

Video

All things considered, I was not recovered from 638 a week ago, and had spent the past week obliterating the crap out of my hamstrings. Last week I failed 660 right off the ground, this week I had to kill myself breaking it. What happened here with the lockout is the question. A few of the guys suggest its now my glute weakness being left behing my quad lower back and emergent hamstring strength. Usually once I break it its smooth sailing home but that was jut ugh.

This is a week ago.

Video

Advice appreciated. I have 3 weeks left till a meet and would like to be able to put up 660+ as a 220.
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 05-06-2011 at 06:21 PM.
    Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Believe you posted the wrong video there bud
    23 years old
    6'3, 308 lbs

825 Squat
    470 Bench
    645 Deadlift
    1905 total
    www.atlargenutrition.com

Where is the 660 video? All I see is a shitty song.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Just get under the bar!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    660 was solid bro just take off the sunglasses.
    Last edited by ThomasG; 05-06-2011 at 06:23 PM.
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Take this from a bench only guy, but I'd turn your toes out more and open up your hips

Also start throwing in some more glute and hip work. It'll help you at the top.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Looked like your hips were a bit high at the start of the lift and you were not getting much leg drive. If you can get your hips lower and use a bit more legsfrom the bottom then you should be able to squeeze your glutes and drive your hips through to lock out the lift without hitching.

Either way that is a great lift, 3X bodyweight raw is a huge milestone.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Technique could change like the others have said.

I think your mid and upperback need to be stronger to help you lead with your head.

Strong pull!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

Banned
    Was that BELTLESS? Can't tell if one is under ur shirt or not?

Hitch or not, if that was beltless...holy shit man, that is impressive. Good heavens you are strong.

Looks beltless......dam strong!!
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I think the problem is that your back gets into a compromising position after the bar moved a few inches. Its VERY difficult to lockout weights when your back is rounded. I would work on keeping a better arch in your back and maintaining it for a longer amount of time in the pull.

You will notice people with rounded back pulls (myself included) typically have a harder time at lockout, while people with very good back positioning have more problems lower.

3 weeks out there is not a whole lot you can do, just focus on arching hard as possible throughout the lift. In the future you may want to consider stopping to pull if you are going to hitch it. I do this because I don't want to get the movement pattern of a hitched deadlift engraved as it seems many people have a hard time getting away from it.
    960/530/749 @ 242
    903/524/738 @ 220

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Take this from a bench only guy, but I'd turn your toes out more and open up your hips

Also start throwing in some more glute and hip work. It'll help you at the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    Looked like your hips were a bit high at the start of the lift and you were not getting much leg drive. If you can get your hips lower and use a bit more legsfrom the bottom then you should be able to squeeze your glutes and drive your hips through to lock out the lift without hitching.

Either way that is a great lift, 3X bodyweight raw is a huge milestone.

Quote Originally Posted by NickAus View Post
    Technique could change like the others have said.

I think your mid and upperback need to be stronger to help you lead with your head.

Strong pull!!
    I agree guys. I will play with it one some speed pulls tomorrow and maybe do some heavy triples to get a feel for it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    Was that BELTLESS? Can't tell if one is under ur shirt or not?

Hitch or not, if that was beltless...holy shit man, that is impressive. Good heavens you are strong.
    No belt, I can't stand the damn things.

Quote Originally Posted by SELK View Post
    I think the problem is that your back gets into a compromising position after the bar moved a few inches. Its VERY difficult to lockout weights when your back is rounded. I would work on keeping a better arch in your back and maintaining it for a longer amount of time in the pull.

You will notice people with rounded back pulls (myself included) typically have a harder time at lockout, while people with very good back positioning have more problems lower.

3 weeks out there is not a whole lot you can do, just focus on arching hard as possible throughout the lift. In the future you may want to consider stopping to pull if you are going to hitch it. I do this because I don't want to get the movement pattern of a hitched deadlift engraved as it seems many people have a hard time getting away from it.
    Definitely. Typically I would have aborted the lift but.... 300kg man!!! I just wanted it so bad. Usually I would have not even broke it off the ground, but I just kept grinding and fighting until it moved.

Thanks for all that guys. Will keep super loading my hips and glute work, and I'll have a play with turning the toes out a bit. I think using my hips better will alleviate the strain I experience on my hip flexors to.

SFW!

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

You've had some great advice already here, but I'll still comment.

You need to angle your toes out so you can get your hips through.

Also, you totally lose the arch in your upper back. This puts you in a terrible position to lock out. The best sumo pullers keep their chest up and their upper back arched.

You are obviously a pretty strong puller. Just need to lock in the technique some.
    750/500/690 APF Elite @ 242

Bench Only - Multi Ply SPF - 600 @ 275 (251)

Bench Only - Single Ply USAPL - 501 @ 275 (255)

Bench Only - Single Ply SPF - 550 @ 259 (257)

Quote Originally Posted by AdamBAG View Post
    You've had some great advice already here, but I'll still comment.

You need to angle your toes out so you can get your hips through.

Also, you totally lose the arch in your upper back. This puts you in a terrible position to lock out. The best sumo pullers keep their chest up and their upper back arched.

You are obviously a pretty strong puller. Just need to lock in the technique some.
    In that case I will DEFINITELY open the toes out. The thing is, I spent 4 year in Olympic lifting obsessing about the back being tight at the commencement of the pull... I guess I got too dumb with deadlifts.

I pulled sumo for the very first time three weeks ago, I've kinda just been gripping and ripping. But will definitely do some proper technical DE work tomorrow.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I agree with what's already been said.... but two points really stand out to me ( and a third that hasn't been mentioned yet)

1: upper back work, heavy lockouts from knees up, rows, etc...

2: get your head up... you start okay then start looking down.... I'll miss everything over 90% if I do this, it's what my training partners yell to me as I pull..... HEAD UP! then grind away at the lock out, don't panic and bail out by hitching.
    3..... and this is the big one..... get your training set up so you get some more rest before a heavy day. If 660 is your goal, don't pull 640 the week before, beat up your hamstrings, then wonder what went wrong.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

i can't get over how huge lee priest's arms is in the end of that video

Difference between the good 638 and the bad 660 are all technique.

What the 638 has the 550 doesn't:
    * more sucked back/down lats at the start
    * more "chin up" throughout the lift
    * legs snap straight before you try to finish your lockout

The last one I see all the time in sumo lifters. If you try to lockout to fast before your
    legs are smapped shut, you will "pin" the bar against the legs, then you fight two
    resistances - gravity and friction.

Whats big sumo pullers, their legs always snap straight before the end of the lockout.
    This allows you to get the most speed for the longest time out of your legs.

.....and pointing your toes out some will certainly help also.
    Meet Bests: 920/562/756/2216
    IPA World Record Total 275 M2 - 2125
    APF American Record Dead 275 M2 - 756
    APF American Record Dead 308 M2 - 745
    APF American Record Squat 308 M2 - 920
    APF American/World Record Total 308 M2 - 2216

There's a lot of great technique advice here. But even without fixing much before the meet; I think you're a little 'baby power' on the legs from sliding that 660 on up for a good lift at the meet. Good luck.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Thanks everyone. I did some heavy rack work from the knee with 700 last night. I will be going for one more heavy session, may go for a heavy triple next week before I spend the fortnight peaking up for the meet.

I'm going to open with 282.5, move to 302.5, and then try for a 320kg/700 finisher.

I should hopefully put up a 300+ bench, and if my knees aren't too bad I should be good for a 500 squat... if not I may just have to do a toked 400 and leave it there.