The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Mac's Journal

fat submariner
    Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    That was a big one.
    yeah, I think I'll stop entering the warmup sets to get these updates a bit shorter!
    Age: 41 - Height: 5'10" - Weight: 197lb (NOT LEAN! (but maybe finally getting a little bit leaner?))

Squat: 180kg (396lb) x 2
    Front Squat: 100kg (220lb) 5 x 5
    Zercher Squat: 140kg (308lbs) x 1
    Bench Press: 110kg (242lb) x 1
    Deadlift: 220kg (484lb) x 1
    SLDL: 170kg (374lb) x 1

Mac's Journal

Nah, I like reading the warmups.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

fat submariner
    WEDNESDAY 27th JULY

Cross Trainer:

Full 8 cycle TABATA – HARD going today… legs still tender from RDLs the other day!

Squat (90 secs between sets):
    5 x 5 @ 50kg – push-press BB into position and all reps below parallel

Bench Press (90 secs between sets):

5 x 5 @ 75kg – needed a close spot on last couple of reps but managed it… just!

EFS (Flye) – 30 secs (15kg DBs)

Deadlift:

1 @ 140kg (grip failed here again! used Power Grabs from here on) *
    1 @ 150kg
    1 @ 160kg – got a vid of this rep to post for critique when I get home **
    4 x 1 @ 160kg – without shoes and focusing on form (form went to shit on 2nd rep when I focused on engaging my core!) felt good without shoes though!
    1 @ 140kg
    20 @ 100kg – blowing out of my arse on these today!

EFS of Hips, Quads, Hams – 1 min each

EFS Upper Back – 1 min (80kg Seated Cable Row)

DB Precher Curl:

3 x 20 @ 5kg – left arm only for possible tendonitis

EFS of left bicep:
    Preacher Curl – 30 secs at 10kg

NOTES:

Legs very tight today (especially Hams and Glutes) from RDLs the other day… loosened up nicely after a couple of sets of light but low squats

Just about at my current limit for 5x5 on the bench press @ 75kg

* F**KING GRIP!

** Do I post the DL vid on this journal or start a new thread on the Members’ Pics and Videos forum? (if it’s the latter then that’ll sound like a bone question but it is directly relating to my training journal)
    Last edited by macdaknife; 07-27-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    Age: 41 - Height: 5'10" - Weight: 197lb (NOT LEAN! (but maybe finally getting a little bit leaner?))

Mac's Journal

nice work mac, thats alot betterm build the lift, not test it~! give it time and you will be back up there buddy

as for the vid! do both... more opinions the better
    Check out my training:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?144135-My-Log

My smolov blog '12 : start 475 - finish: 520
    http://jtrain-ing.blogspot.co.uk/

Really getting after those deads now. Nice job with everything. You need a squat rack.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

fat submariner
    Quote Originally Posted by J L S View Post
    nice work mac, thats alot betterm build the lift, not test it~! give it time and you will be back up there buddy

as for the vid! do both... more opinions the better
    thanks Jay and you're right... I need to have more patience!

Mac's Journal

fat submariner
    Really getting after those deads now. Nice job with everything. You need a squat rack.
    thaks OR. I'm still looking at racks for my garage (still need to convince the wife!)

Mac's Journal

fat submariner
    I've lost a bit of weight recently and my form has dipped on the DL so I can't reach (or improve) my previous PB.

Video

(couldn't work out how to rotate the vid... sorry!)

I can see that my hips are rising on the first part of the lift but my shoulders aren't rising with them at the same time which leads me to pull with my back more (rounding my upper back in the process)... I don't think I was doing this before. my lower back looks straight throughout (I think).

someone told me this evening to swing a kettlebell through my legs then standing up in a DL type movement to help... are these pull-throughs?

also, I hadn't done any SLDLs for a little while so I've started them again to help.

any other pointers/advice gratefully received.
    Last edited by macdaknife; 07-28-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Mac's Journal

Banned
    Form looks grand to me. Nowt wrong with that indeed.

Couple of minor points. Hold the bar closer to your legs. It should be in contact at all points to pull in as straight a line as possible. Also, it's hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like your arms are ever so slightly bent - if so, it'll mess up your biceps and elbows.

But nah, looked fine to me. Some of the more advanced guys might be able to offer more thoughts.

fat submariner
    Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    Form looks grand to me. Nowt wrong with that indeed.

Couple of minor points. Hold the bar closer to your legs. It should be in contact at all points to pull in as straight a line as possible. Also, it's hard to tell from the angle, but it looks like your arms are ever so slightly bent - if so, it'll mess up your biceps and elbows.

But nah, looked fine to me. Some of the more advanced guys might be able to offer more thoughts.
    thanks JC. I do try keep the bar as close to my legs as possible but I'll work on it more (and maybe start wearing trackies). not sure about my arms... might need someone to critique me from the front.

Mac's Journal

your form isnt bad at all mac, some things that might help though, ditch the shoes... pull barefoot if you can, or in something with a flat sole, they look like running shoes to me(spongey sole-power transfer from the floor is lost), will also be less distance to pull the bar firstly...

also look at shoulders in relation to the bar, the closer you can get them to in line with the bar the better, will help you sit back on your heels more and pull more upright and again less distance to pull

this is pretty good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOhWfhvJPLE
    Check out my training:

fat submariner
    your form isnt bad at all mac, some things that might help though, ditch the shoes... pull barefoot if you can, or in something with a flat sole, they look like running shoes to me(spongey sole-power transfer from the floor is lost), will also be less distance to pull the bar firstly...

also look at shoulders in relation to the bar, the closer you can get them to in line with the bar the better, will help you sit back on your heels more and pull more upright and again less distance to pull

this is pretty good...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOhWfhvJPLE
    Thanks Jay. You're right, they are running shoes though I did another couple of pulls after that 1 in just my socks and there was a noticeable difference so I'll be doing them like that in future.
    The vid made a lot of sense so thanks for that... I've been on holiday for the last week so haven't managed to put it into practise yet though maybe tomorrow.
    I do need to work on sitting back a bit though (on squats too)... will front squats help?
    Last edited by macdaknife; 08-05-2011 at 06:10 PM.

Mac's Journal

fat submariner
    SATURDAY 6th AUGUST

got back from a week long holiday last night where I didn't get enough sleep (as it was too hot and the air con was pathetic), I ate too much (though healthily), drank too much (though not a lot), did NO exercise (other than occassionally running or swimming after my daughters) and took no supplements so was looking forward to getting back into it... turned out to be a crap session where EVERYTHING felt HEAVY!

Bench Squats (did 5 x 5 @ 97.5kg last time so 100kg this time was the next step):
    3 x 5 @ 85kg
    2 x 5 @ 75kg
    1 x 4 @ 75kg

NOTE: this was in a rack and the previous workout was on a Smith Machine so I'm not surprised that this was very different today. also I don't know the height of this bench but it was lower than the one I used with the Smith Machine in the gym at work so I'll try not to be too demoralised about these!

Bench Press (did 5 x 5 @ 75kg last time (just) and 77.5kg this time would've been the next step):
    2 x 5 @ 75kg
    1 x 4 @ 75kg
    2 x 5 @ 70kg

NOTE: VERY disappointed with these! did them in rack instead of the free bench in the gym at work and the pin setting meant I that the bar was only coming down to about 2 inches above my chest instead of right to my chest as before... so why were they so much harder?

EFS (Flye) – 30 secs (15kg DBs)

Deadlift (I did 5 x 1 @ 160kg last time to concentrate on form so was planning on 5 x 1 @ 170kg today):
    1 @ 130kg (grip failed here... even worse than last time! used Power Grabs from here on) *
    1 @ 150kg
    FAIL @ 170kg (I've only been deadlifting a couple of months but I've NEVER failed this light before!) **
    4 x 1 @ 150kg

NOTES: did these without shoes and concentrating on form iaw the YouTube vid JLS sent me in a previous post... form felt good and 150kg was an ok weight but why couldn't I manage 170kg?

* WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY F**KING GRIP? IT SEEMS TO BE GETTING WORSE EVERY WEEK!

** I've pulled 190kg three times sice I got my PB of 200kg... the 1st time was easy but ever since then everything above 170kg has been HARD but I've still managed it... not today! maybe it was because I had tweaked my technique slightly... I F**KING hope so!
    Last edited by macdaknife; 08-06-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Mac's Journal

Finally, a workout
    Nice job on the big three. Stepping up and doing real squats.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

fat submariner
    Finally, a workout
    Nice job on the big three. Stepping up and doing real squats.
    I can live with the drop in weight with the squats (though I want to get back to where I was before I broke my foot) but today was a step backwards on the bench and a BIG step backwards on the deads... and grip! what gives?
    Last edited by macdaknife; 08-06-2011 at 05:52 PM.

Mac's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by macdaknife View Post
    what gives?
    You only have so much energy to give to each workout. You might have blown your wad on the squats. Either that or it was a bad day, or too long between sessions, or you didn't sleep enough, or you didn't eat enough, or you were stressed, or you...get the idea.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

fat submariner
    You only have so much energy to give to each workout. You might have blown your wad on the squats. Either that or it was a bad day, or too long between sessions, or you didn't sleep enough, or you didn't eat enough, or you were stressed, or you...get the idea.
    I get the idea OR... I'm putting it down to a bad day combined with a change in setup/technique.

it was 8 days between sessions and whilst I didn't get a whole lot of rest in the Mediterranean I did get a good sleep in my own bed last night. I've been eating loads, I'm not stressed and I've gone a LOT harder on my legs before this evening... this session just all felt HEAVIER (when it was all lighter and with less ROM on the bench).

I WILL bounce back from this!

Mac's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by macdaknife View Post
    I WILL bounce back from this!
    Yes, yes you will.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Chin up mate, always dip after holidays!
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...?136143-Hct-12

A Westside journal.

'There are no layby's on the road to strength'

'The greatest pleasure in life is achieving things people said you could not achieve'

'He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man'

fat submariner
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiff View Post
    Chin up mate, always dip after holidays!
    will do, cheers Kiff

Mac's Journal

its always hard coming back from holiday! remember build yourself back upto again, maybe some sets of 5 or 3's for a few weeks with 75-90% of your 1rm with the deads!

as for grip, get soem chalk if you can! and stick with the form changes, it will take time

and finally.. hope those riots arent affecting you buddy, its terrible what these people are doing, i am lucklily out of the firing line for now... they are getting closer though! why destroy your own town/city? mindless idiots
    Last edited by J L S; 08-09-2011 at 09:52 AM.
    Check out my training:

fat submariner
    its always hard coming back from holiday! remember build yourself back upto again, maybe some sets of 5 or 3's for a few weeks with 75-90% of your 1rm with the deads!

as for grip, get soem chalk if you can! and stick with the form changes, it will take time

and finally.. hope those riots arent affecting you buddy, its terrible what these people are doing, i am lucklily out of the firing line for now... they are getting closer though! why destroy your own town/city? mindless idiots
    I'm definately sticking with the form change Jay, it felt good (despite the fact that the weight wasn't happening). I'm gonna keep working at it till I get it right!

Not bothered by the trouble in London but it was spreading and Peckham is pretty close to me in Vauxhall! We heard police sirens ALL last night! Got on a train this morning to visit family in Scotland for a few Days (planned for months... not scared or anything )

I was having dinner with my wife and daughters last night in Liecester Square when I got a txt off a mate who's an armed response copper telling me to go home. Another London police officer mate is in the riot squad and he advised getting out of London. These idiots need a good kicking! (The ciminals that is... not the police officers!)

So has the bother in The Midlands not got anywhere near you?
    Last edited by macdaknife; 08-10-2011 at 05:40 AM.

Mac's Journal

Banned
    I've seen different explanations for it but I reckon momentum is one of the most important factors in weightlifting success. You can call it deloading, or put it down to increased recovery, or 'peaking' or whatever, but sometimes just putting the weight down a bit and then building up your confidence over a few easy sessions means the difference between grinding failure for session after session or smashing through old sticking points.

So maybe if you reduce weights just a wee bit you might find it easy again. At least you've got a squat rack though now!

fat submariner
    Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    I've seen different explanations for it but I reckon momentum is one of the most important factors in weightlifting success. You can call it deloading, or put it down to increased recovery, or 'peaking' or whatever, but sometimes just putting the weight down a bit and then building up your confidence over a few easy sessions means the difference between grinding failure for session after session or smashing through old sticking points.

So maybe if you reduce weights just a wee bit you might find it easy again. At least you've got a squat rack though now!
    Yeah you could be right mate but that's enough to make me not want to go on holiday again (unless the hotel's got a good gym!)

I'm working next week so no rack then but will have one the following week when I'm back on leave. Is there a rack in the Uni gym?

Have you been affected by the trouble in London buddy?
    Last edited by macdaknife; 08-10-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Mac's Journal

Banned
    Not too much trouble in my immediate area but I'm quite close to Hackney so I've been hearing constant sirens and helicopters the last few nights.

Yeah we've got a squat rack. 3 of them actually. I'd suggest you come over this way except they don't do temp passes - I know people who've tried. I also tend to train pretty late.

Did you say you work in Vauxhall? There must be some good gyms in the area? I actually work in Pimlico at the moment so if you do find a good gym let me know and I might pop over the river for a session some time.