Thread: Hamstring tear

Hamstring tear

I have a tear in my right hamstring from doing deadllifts last Thursday. My question is how long before I can deadlift again and what kind of rehab do I need to do? When will I know if is safe to deadlift again?

Did you see a doctor?
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I did see my family doctor but he didn't give me any time frame for healing.

Mri? Full of blood?
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

No MRI yet, but the leg is swelling and black and blue.
    Last edited by powerm64; 04-11-2011 at 08:23 PM.

Keep it mobile. Dont let it tighten up. Consider an MRI. If it really is torn up you need to know so that you can correct it efficiently. Stretch it daily then give some ligth squat and pulls with just the bar after a full week after the brusing and swelling leaves. Start small and go from there.
    Best raw meet lifts
    Squat:765 with wraps. / 700 raw with out wraps
    Bench: 525
    Deadlift: 755
    Total: Raw with wraps: 2000. with out wraps: 1925

Best lifts Equipped
    1050, 840, 715. Total: 2605

Representing AtLarge Nutrition and EliteFTS

Thanks Scott, feeling a little better today.

So it has been about one month since I tore my hamstring and need some help with rehab. The MRI shows that I tore a 3cm part of a hamstring from the bone. The major swelling and pain is gone but not sure where to take it from here. The Dr. said I could do reps but not with heavy weight. What is a heavy weight to a DR.? I would say 200 pounds is heavy to a Dr. but not sure. A Dr. has no idea what a powerlifter does in the gym. I'm by no means a top class lifter but I can do over 10 reps with around 440 pounds in the deadlift and squat. Who has had this injury before and what did you do for rehab?

Start really light - maybe 135 for the deads or less and see how it feels. Do sets of 20. Gradually work you way back up.
    Last edited by chris mason; 05-07-2011 at 05:53 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Start really light - maybe 135 for the deads or less and see how it feels. Do sets of 20. Gradually work you way back up.
    Thanks Chris for the info. How long if ever will it take to be back 100%? I pull standard one week then sumo the next, should that make a difference? I'm just concerned that it will tear again or not heal correctly.

Everyone is different. Just takes time

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

you'll most certainly recover--- i tore mine last year--- laid around for 3 weeks, then went on vacation to jamaica, came back and chilled some more, and was back to somewhat heavy lifting in 3 months. After about 6 months I was 100%
    LeXen Xtreme

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Thanks Chris, I will give 135 X 20 a try this week and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyEyesPat View Post
    you'll most certainly recover--- i tore mine last year--- laid around for 3 weeks, then went on vacation to jamaica, came back and chilled some more, and was back to somewhat heavy lifting in 3 months. After about 6 months I was 100%
    I hope you are right about the recovery, I can't wait to start pulling and squatting again after six weeks off from work and from lifting. Have you ever had any other problems with the hamstring after your tear?

Quote Originally Posted by powerm64 View Post
    I hope you are right about the recovery, I can't wait to start pulling and squatting again after six weeks off from work and from lifting. Have you ever had any other problems with the hamstring after your tear?
    well.... i was pretty imbalanced for awhile, but other than that... no. I did some PT but it was very basic, and I just continued the movements at home. One pretty good one was that I'd stand on the leg (one foot) and reach down and pick up things from the ground. That helped initially with ROM. I also did a lot of very very light high repetition work once I was mobile again.
    LeXen Xtreme