The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Do you like endurance running(1 mile or more)

Voters
176. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oh hellz Ya!!

36 20.45%
  • NO!!!!!

96 54.55%
  • Meh, it's alright.

44 25.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar

I hate Running!!

Endurance that is. What a disgusting and foul exercise from hell!

I ran a 5k today for charity it was the first time I have ran in month's(I do other and superior forms of cardio) For me at least. That **** was embarrassing! A middle aged woman and what looked to be 13 year old kid passed me up. I have never been able to excel in running even when I trained varsity XC in high school. My body is just not made for it. I didn't stop running the whole time I was happy about that. Who else hates endurance running?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Why even do it if you hate it? Stick with your "superior" forms of cardio- whatever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Yamar View Post
    Why even do it if you hate it? Stick with your "superior" forms of cardio- whatever that may be.
    It was for charity.
    My Journal
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

Endurance running is disgusting.

I love sprints or sprints with heavy objects but long distance running is really just a way to destroy your knees and bore your balls off. Hate it and not because I can't run a mile. I can quite easily without stopping and at a pretty quick pace but I would much rather do 20% of that distance sprinting whilst bear hugging a 200lb sandbag

Being able to run 50 miles non stop and look like an anorexic tree is not top of my agenda.

No offense to anorexic trees by the way.
    Last edited by Goodwinm; 07-19-2009 at 03:00 AM.
    My Journal

Squat: 150kg (330lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Deadlift: 180kg x 3 (396lbs) Raw - 14.12.13
    Bench: 110kg (242lbs) Raw - 29.01.14
    Barbell Military Press: 85kg (187lbs) Raw- 31.01.14
    Barbell Push Press: 100kg (220lbs) Raw- 31.01.14

Airsofter & Paintballer
    I don't mind it. Sometimes I even like it just as an extra chance to get out of the house and think about things while I jog. The distance I'm not entirely sure, because I jog in woods, so there isn't anything telling me how far each spot is. I can jog for nearly twice as long though if I have a lot to think about rather than focusing on jogging. Kind of funny that it would be that big of a difference though. Then again maybe when I'm thinking about stuff, I might slow down some (can't be a lot).

Wannabebig Member
    the only cardio i do that is runnin' is 3 min. sprint 1 min. walk 2 min sprint 1 min walk and 2 min sprint. i wrestle so i only do cardio in wrestling period lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by siuecougar View Post
    the only cardio i do that is runnin' is 3 min. sprint 1 min. walk 2 min sprint 1 min walk and 2 min sprint. i wrestle so i only do cardio in wrestling period lengths.

3 minute sprint?? wtf?
    stats:Bench: 285 goal: 305
    squat: 390 goal: 420
    dead: 405 goal: 445
    weight and height: 230, 6'2 age:18
    “No strength within, no respect without.”
    "Strength is not your physical capacity, its your indomitable will." http://freddy56.mybrute.com

I use to do endurance running, but stopped a few months ago.

My last endurance run was 5 miles in 46 minutes, which was the first time I had ever went that long, or that far. [My previous run before that was 3.8 miles] I had a lot to think about. =]

Now, I'll just do a quick 8 or 10 minute mile, then a 12 minute mile and call it quits. I'll try to set a new PR for speed every two weeks, so at the moment it's down to 7:23.

It was fun. =]
    I do, however, hate running on hard surfaces or a treadmill. Which is all that's around here. ><

I used to run 18 miles a clip. Never really minded it. Its just not the most effective exercise for what i want to do.
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

I like running. I wouldn't say I love it, but I think its kinda relaxing. I put on my music and just zone out.
    Shut Up And Train.

schmitty199
    Quote Originally Posted by siuecougar View Post
    Multiple 2 minute sprints? Do you mean you just pick up the pace for 2 minutes at a 65-75% pace? Even bigtime track athletes would have trouble with that workout.. if by sprint you truely mean a sprint.

And to the OP, exactly what do you mean by superior forms of cardio? Isnt the main point of cardio(unless your talking about weight loss) to get inshape?
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

Two minutes of work may be at an all out effort, but it is not a sprint.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Banned
    I run every day. I find it puts me in a state of quasi meditation and it relaxes me. I put on some good music and just enjoy. When i first started I was obese and loathed it (pain in ribs, shin splints, chest pains, etc) but over the past 2 years I've built up my cardio. It's a slow process to work up to long runs but well worth the wait for me. It also helps me burn off fat and helps me keep up my endurance at the gym.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Sometimes I get into a good trance with my music going and a good pace. Other times I get a side-ache, and get bored as hell as I keep thinking about how much distance I have left to cover.

I also like to run shirtless and see if women are checking me out. They are probably smiling at my dogs though. Still, I'll choose to live in denial.
    Last edited by Mercuryblade; 07-20-2009 at 11:43 AM.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Why run anywhere if you don't get to hit someone at the end of it?

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by backseatwitme13 View Post
    3 minute sprint?? wtf?
    i apologize hahaha. i mean a hard run. 8.5 mph usually. unless there is an airodyne (sp?) bike. then same concept. hard as i can for 3, short break, then 2, short break, then 2.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by schmitty199 View Post
    Multiple 2 minute sprints? Do you mean you just pick up the pace for 2 minutes at a 65-75% pace? Even bigtime track athletes would have trouble with that workout.. if by sprint you truely mean a sprint.

And to the OP, exactly what do you mean by superior forms of cardio? Isnt the main point of cardio(unless your talking about weight loss) to get inshape?
    yeah. my fault. haha

I jump rope, stair step, sprint, and bike in intervals. Sometimes I'll jump rope in endurance mode about 5 mins, jump roping winds you quickly.
    My Journal
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er

NO!!!!!

i just wrote a paper on this exact topic... about how running pretty much blows..

but could potentially be THE thing missing from so many strength athlete's routines that could be the biggest breakthrough in their programs.

Bottom line is better cardio conditioning means your body is better fit to recovery, replenish, and recycle everything that takes place during lifting heavy ****!

i'll be submitting it shortly depending on how my article on stretching fairs....

suck it up and run boys and girls!!!
    Proud to be sponsored by APT prowriststraps.com

90* just means you're halfway there to becoming a man!

I agree that having good conditioning is the base of a large building block for an efficient athlete, but long distance running is not a good means to an end.

Exercises I would recommend for conditioning;
    Prowler Push
    Sled Drags
    Tire Flips
    Tractor Pulls/Car Pulls
    Tabata applied to ANYTHING, Running, swimming, sqautting/dips/chins, skipping
    Circuts to a degree.

Anything that you can rotate, add resistance too and break PR's often with trumps long distance running. I agree with you, wicked, about the one thing missing from most strength athletes is cardio conditioning (Often focussing on Strength and Speed, negleting the third essential) and its because they think they have to run! I know I had that mindset for a long time, and I wasn't any better for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Risk10k View Post
    I agree that having good conditioning is the base of a large building block for an efficient athlete, but long distance running is not a good means to an end.

Exercises I would recommend for conditioning;
    Prowler Push
    Sled Drags
    Tire Flips
    Tractor Pulls/Car Pulls
    Tabata applied to ANYTHING, Running, swimming, sqautting/dips/chins, skipping
    Circuts to a degree.

Anything that you can rotate, add resistance too and break PR's often with trumps long distance running. I agree with you, wicked, about the one thing missing from most strength athletes is cardio conditioning (Often focussing on Strength and Speed, negleting the third essential) and its because they think they have to run! I know I had that mindset for a long time, and I wasn't any better for it.
    Doing the conditioning you mentioned is great. One thing to consider though is your going to achieve a much higher level of conditioning with an aerobic foundation. Anaerobic conditioning can only go so far without a high aerobic capacity. It's akin to building a house on sand.

This is why athlete's train to a concept called periodization. Athlete's such as boxers, MMA fighters and wrestler's can benefit from a solid aerobic foundation. I'm not saying they should go out and train with distance runners but during certain mesocycle's in the context of an entire macrocycle I see no reason why you shouldn't be running 45 min or so minutes per day.

I'm not saying they should go out and train with distance runners but during certain mesocycle's in the context of an entire macrocycle I see no reason why you shouldn't be running 45 min or so minutes per day.
    Well, for starters, there's the issue of all the strain on the knees, ankles and lower back. I'm also not a big fan of this whole idea that you have to spend time on the black top everyday to become a better (faster) runner.

I do quite a bit of running and have a pretty solid aerobic base. With that said, I very rarely run more than 20-25min at a clip. I've run >40min only twice in the last 6 months. Building a solid aerobic base doesn't have to involve road time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Well, for starters, there's the issue of all the strain on the knees, ankles and lower back. I'm also not a big fan of this whole idea that you have to spend time on the black top everyday to become a better (faster) runner.

I do quite a bit of running and have a pretty solid aerobic base. With that said, I very rarely run more than 20-25min at a clip. I've run >40min only twice in the last 6 months. Building a solid aerobic base doesn't have to involve road time.
    Yeah without a doubt. And it depends on your sport. Aerobic exercise doesn't have to mean all running either; you can get in come cycling, swimming etc..

I have been running competetive marathon's for the last 10 years and I can tell you, for that sport,time spent running is the primary component. I ran my best marathons <2:30, when I was averaging 100 MPW, some weeks hitting as high as 120. That's the norm if you want to be competetive at that game.

My general point is that aerobic or "endurance" exercise, can and should have it's place in most athlete's macrocycles(even BB). Just like "thewicked" noted above it could be the missing component for many athlete's. For us non-athlete's my guess is it's best to get a balance of everything. Some intensity, some steady state cardio etc..

I have been running competetive marathon's for the last 10 years and I can tell you, for that sport,time spent running is the primary component. I ran my best marathons <2:30, when I was averaging 100 MPW, some weeks hitting as high as 120. That's the norm if you want to be competetive at that game.
    What are your thoughts on the use of shorter interval, tempo and all out effort runs to lower times on longer distance sports? In recent years, guys like Brian Mackenzie (http://www.crossfitendurance.com) have utilized these ideals in preparation for ultra distance marathons and triathlons.