The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808

    What's your worst recent food experience?

    So I'm all jacked and tan from my complexes. My hands are quaking in excitement as I surgically separate the love handle spawning egg yolks from the eggs. Pensively I reach into the fridge and grab an untouched, supple yellow onion, and an equally attractive shiny, virgin, green pepper. Still sporting a partial from looking at the veins in my shoulders and arms in the mirror, I dice the pepper and onion in a fury that makes a Japanese steakhouse chef look like Forrest Gump trying to microwave a hot pocket.

    I slice off an ab friendly pad of butter and let it drop onto a warm, inviting pan. I throw the pepper and onion into the sensual butter bath, with some fresh cracked pepper and sea salt. My home soon fills with the erotic odor of cooked green pepper and caramelized onions. I can barely contain myself. I frantically scramble over the fridge and tear the bag of diced ham open. I thrust my hand into the bag and laugh maniacally as the tiny pink cubes sizzle and tumble into the pan.

    Then I realize all is not well. Something smells like cheese, and it's not the cheese I have waiting with trepidation on the counter. I bring my hands up to my nostrils, inhaling slightly, and the aroma hits me- definitely not the cheese I want in my omelette, no, this is not the kind of cheese for any food. This. Isn't. Cheese. I'm. smelling.
    I notice my finger tips tend to stick together and feel a slight layer of slime in and around my fingers. It then dawns on me. I open up the bag of ham again, this time close to my face. A pungent odor resembling Satan's taint after a deadlifting session rapes in the side of my olfactory ducts.
    I look at the date of expiration on the bag: 3/11/2011.
    I almost ate 9 day old expired ham.

    TL;DR
    Today I almost died because of really old ham.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    OG SDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sweet Home
    Posts
    450
    Can't think of anything bad, so I'll just contrast your culinary crash with a story of how I just ate the best pizza ever, cooked by my 12 yr old daughter, complete with homemade crust, homemade sauce, fresh tomatoes, real mozzarella, lean beef, pepperonis, Kalamata olives and mushrooms. I can't wait to eat the second half of it at lunch tomorrow.

  4. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    654
    almost the exact same thing happend to me I had my eggs cooking my potatoes were chopped up and ready to be cooked in the pan along with the sausage. Thats when I noticed my sausage was old and had a slight smell to it, more importantly someone had ripped the bag open and left it that way.

    Nothing annoys me like wasted food because someone is to lazy to put it in a proper container. Like people who rip packages open below the resealable zip.

  5. #4
    Moderator joey54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Palmyra, PA
    Posts
    5,730
    Right after New Years stopped at a McDonalds on the way home from work. I usually house when I eat there, so got an Angus Burger, Nuggets and Fries. It never settled right and I was hurting most of the night. Finally heaved the whole entire meal back up several hours later. Worst vomit experience ever. Have since sweared off fast food, minus Subway, for life.


    AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

    Just get under the bar!

  6. #5
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,808
    Quote Originally Posted by SDS View Post
    Can't think of anything bad, so I'll just contrast your culinary crash with a story of how I just ate the best pizza ever, cooked by my 12 yr old daughter, complete with homemade crust, homemade sauce, fresh tomatoes, real mozzarella, lean beef, pepperonis, Kalamata olives and mushrooms. I can't wait to eat the second half of it at lunch tomorrow.
    Olives and lean beef eh? Someone has taught their daughter well.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by joey54 View Post
    Right after New Years stopped at a McDonalds on the way home from work. I usually house when I eat there, so got an Angus Burger, Nuggets and Fries. It never settled right and I was hurting most of the night. Finally heaved the whole entire meal back up several hours later. Worst vomit experience ever. Have since sweared off fast food, minus Subway, for life.
    This exact same thing happened to my friend once. We both went to McDonalds and got the exact same thing but for some reason he threw it all up and I was just fine.

  8. #7
    Senior Member brihead301's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,565
    Last week, I was making some chili (canned chili btw, I'm too lazy to make my own), and I go to pull out some shredded cheese from my fridge. I've had this shredded 4 cheese for about 6 months, but I figured "Eh, what the hell, cheese probably doesn't go bad". I grabbed a handful of it, and I noticed it was all hard. It smelled a bit funny too. I then decided to look for an exparation date, and I found it to say "best used by 12/11/10". Hmm, so this cheese was 3 months expired, but I REALLY wanted cheese on top of my chili. Next, I decided to check Google to see if anyone ever died from expired cheese. I found no 'death from expired cheese' stories, so I decided to take a chance...

    I hand twinges of mild anticipation mixed with bits of anxiety as I was about to take that first bite of the chili with 6 month old cheese on it, but I faced my fears head on and took that first bite. It wasn't the best thing I ever ate. Hell, it wasn't even the second best thing I ever ate, but it was edible. Considering I was ridiculously stoned at the time, edible was exactly what I was looking for. I don't even think I would go as far to say that it was good.....actually, now that I think about it, I probably wouldn't do that again.

    But here I am, 1 week later....still standing. It didn't kill me. It only made me stronger. It did cause me to poop more than usual though. All in all, it was worth it though. I don't know what I would have done had I no cheese atop my chili.
    How to Find Your Dream Job
    My personal blog/website dedicated to giving answers on the age old question - how to escape the "rat race". I now play guitar for a living!

  9. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580
    i ate some month old, expired fat free cheddar a few days ago. there was no visible mold.. and it smelled ok.. it went well!

  10. #9
    OG SDS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Sweet Home
    Posts
    450
    By its very nature, cheese is bad. Trim the fuzzy green mold off and eat away. I yell at my wife when she throws away cheese just because the stamp says it has expired.

  11. #10
    Wannabe Rick James Genacide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,591
    Cut up a block of cheese (1 year aged white cheddar) yesterday and the first piece tasted a little moldy.. the rest were fine.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  12. #11
    Senior Member Auzzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post

    A pungent odor resembling Satan's taint after a deadlifting session rapes in the side of my olfactory ducts.
    nothing beats a great metaphor! LOL
    28yrs old, 6"1
    Stats: Start | Current | Goal
    Bench: 186lb | 226lb | 235lb
    Squat: 180lb | 273lb | 360lb
    Dead: 215lb | 319lb | 405lb
    MY LOG ~ 313 DAYS

  13. #12
    mrelwooddowd Patz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BFE, KY
    Posts
    9,845
    A couple months ago my girl and I cooked with chicken broth that expired in 2004. We didn't know beforehand. I made classic statements such as..

    You and your ex weren't even married yet.
    I was still married.
    You didn't have your second kid yet.
    You didn't have your FIRST kid yet, or even for another 2 years.
    I was 250lbs of jello.
    GW Bush was still president.
    You were still driving a 92 Oldsmobile

    And it went on and on, because I don't know when to quit.
    Last edited by Patz; 03-23-2011 at 01:08 PM.
    _________________________

    5/3/1 Journal


    http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

  14. #13
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    Every time I eat is a horrible food experience. I have Achalasia. Wee!
    Last edited by sCaRz*Of*PaiN; 03-23-2011 at 05:17 PM.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  15. #14
    Senior Member tom183's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    3,372
    I can't say I hve any stories but I just want to say that that was really well written. Definite lol at this part:

    I thrust my hand into the bag and laugh maniacally as the tiny pink cubes sizzle and tumble into the pan.

  16. #15
    Wannabebig Member torch1980's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Republic, PA
    Posts
    26
    A few years ago I ate a bad chipped ham sandwich at kfc thats about as recent as I can remember

  17. #16
    Tap, Rack, Bacon ncsuLuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,348
    Fantastic original post, loved the writing.

    I guess the only thing I have is I fixed some chicken about a month ago without really inspecting it and even after it was done cooking it smelled like chlorine or something awful. I ate one of them because it didn't smell like that but then I was worried when I noticed the other that I would get sick. Luckily the only bad thing that happened was I wasted some chicken.
    6'1", 215lbs

    Deadlift - 475, Front Squat - 320, Back Squat - 405

  18. #17
    Become Unbreakable Mark!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dallas Area, TX
    Posts
    3,628
    It wasn't bad food or anything, it was just gross. Salmon in a pouch...that stuff really really sucks.
    "Light Weight"

    260's by May

  19. #18
    Senior Member Jayfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    152
    Drank some milk out of the carton and began swallowing chunks.... Expired a month before.

    Haven't been able to eat cottage cheese since.
    Last edited by Jayfive; 03-24-2011 at 08:27 AM.

  20. #19
    Senior Member Jorge Sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,608
    I just bought a new brand of protein powder. I mixed up my first shake with milk and noticed it was a little clumpy, but figured the new protein powder just didn't dissolve very well in milk. So I chugged it down. Quickly. So quickly that I didn't notice the putrid taste until I had finished the entire glass. Only then did I realize that the clumps were from curdled milk and not the protein powder. I burped up the taste of sour milk for hours, but I didn't puke.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

  21. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,377
    Few months ago I went to make some chicken helper for a quick meal before I left the house to go out. Had some of those sealed Purdue chicken breasts (the ones that come pre-seasoned, 5 breasts per bag). Has bought them on Sunday and they were in the fridge until that night, the following Saturday. A bit long to keep chicken, but I figured since they were completely sealed in plastic and in a secondary bag as well they would be ok. Made the pasta/chicken combo and ate it, smelled and tasted fine. Right before going out felt a little twinge on indigestion, like maybe a bit of gas/bloat was gonna come see me in a little while, so I took one of those gas-x tablet things and went out anyway.

    Was going to see a concert with some friends from work, so a little bit of dancing/jumping up and down was standard fair. Stomach continued to feel weird through the first half, kind of like severe heartburn/lump in your throat kind of thing. Made it through the first couple of songs fine. Took a couple breathers outside to get some cold air and rest a bit. By intermission I told my friends I was gonna go home and get some rest.

    Did get home. Did not rest.

    Ended up on the floor of my bathroom, completely naked, with massive chills alternating with scorching hot flashes. Eventually vomited into the toilet. Got up, got dizzy, sat back down. Waited. Go up, got to the 2nd floor (bedroom is on the 3rd). Stopped to vomit in 2nd floor bathroom. Got up to bedroom and got into bed. Vomited into trash can. Feel dizzy, lie down and pass out. Awaken an hour later to vomit into trash can again. Pass out. Repeat an hour later. Awaken a half hour after that to dry heave until it feels like my stomach is coming out of my mouth. Take a small drink of water and pass out. Wake up 30 min later to vomit said water. Fall asleep for another 3 hours.

    Literally one of the worst nights of my life. My stomach was messed up for the entire week, major stomach pains, extremely constipated, etc etc.

    Just started eating chicken again last week.
    23 y/o, 170 lbs

    Do you understand that the second you
    look in the mirror and you're happy with
    what you see, baby, you just
    lost the battle!

  22. #21
    Raw K.Huget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saskatoon
    Posts
    671
    I feel your pain Altephor. Food poisoning is horrible. I've had it from restaurant chicken wings one time and from expired turkey breast another.

    My worst experience was actually with a beverage. I grabbed the wrong can at a party and ended up drinking a bit of chew spit.
    Last edited by K.Huget; 03-24-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    22 y/o, 6'1, ~205 lbs
    508/303/557

  23. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,580
    i was about to buy 50lbs of chicken cutlets for $90... then i woke up

  24. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    654
    Quote Originally Posted by Altephor View Post
    Few months ago I went to make some chicken helper for a quick meal before I left the house to go out. Had some of those sealed Purdue chicken breasts (the ones that come pre-seasoned, 5 breasts per bag). Has bought them on Sunday and they were in the fridge until that night, the following Saturday. A bit long to keep chicken, but I figured since they were completely sealed in plastic and in a secondary bag as well they would be ok. Made the pasta/chicken combo and ate it, smelled and tasted fine. Right before going out felt a little twinge on indigestion, like maybe a bit of gas/bloat was gonna come see me in a little while, so I took one of those gas-x tablet things and went out anyway.

    Was going to see a concert with some friends from work, so a little bit of dancing/jumping up and down was standard fair. Stomach continued to feel weird through the first half, kind of like severe heartburn/lump in your throat kind of thing. Made it through the first couple of songs fine. Took a couple breathers outside to get some cold air and rest a bit. By intermission I told my friends I was gonna go home and get some rest.

    Did get home. Did not rest.

    Ended up on the floor of my bathroom, completely naked, with massive chills alternating with scorching hot flashes. Eventually vomited into the toilet. Got up, got dizzy, sat back down. Waited. Go up, got to the 2nd floor (bedroom is on the 3rd). Stopped to vomit in 2nd floor bathroom. Got up to bedroom and got into bed. Vomited into trash can. Feel dizzy, lie down and pass out. Awaken an hour later to vomit into trash can again. Pass out. Repeat an hour later. Awaken a half hour after that to dry heave until it feels like my stomach is coming out of my mouth. Take a small drink of water and pass out. Wake up 30 min later to vomit said water. Fall asleep for another 3 hours.

    Literally one of the worst nights of my life. My stomach was messed up for the entire week, major stomach pains, extremely constipated, etc etc.

    Just started eating chicken again last week.
    This same thing happened to me once when my sister made me hamburgers when I was @ 13. Except if I tried to drink anything I would throw up immediately. Even a little sip would make me throw up. The next morning I woke up took a sip of orange juice and puked.

    The whole experience sucked but it did get me over my fear of puking.

  25. #24
    DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    My Head
    Posts
    6,112
    Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    i was about to buy 50lbs of chicken cutlets for $90... then i woke up
    LOL... I'm sorry.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

  26. #25
    LuNa
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Tilburg, The Netherlands
    Posts
    3,716
    Worst drink experience i had is from a while ago. I had a carton of ice tea in my bedroom and it spend most of its time in the sun. I got drunk one night and when i woke up the next morning with a severe hangover accompanied by massive thurst, i noticed the ice tea. Didnt really think and took a couple of sips. I then tasted the clumps of mold that were in it, probably from being in the sun. Great and i was still thirsty.

Similar Threads

  1. The worst main event in recent memory?
    By WillNoble in forum General Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-23-2009, 09:33 AM
  2. stomach flu/food poisoning & food
    By dissipate in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-01-2005, 05:46 AM
  3. My recent positive experience with bulking - Details Inside
    By Katz in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-25-2005, 01:08 PM
  4. FYI: Worst Fast Food Foods
    By pfc3rex in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 05:08 AM
  5. Worst road test ever;my experience
    By Big Show in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 12:05 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •