The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

New and in need of advice

Hey,
    I've recently committed myself to getting bigger and stronger over the summer. I play football and usually keep active, but I dont train hardcore or go to the gym on a regular basis. I eat well (no junk food or soft drinks, a lot of lean protein), train with the team and do extra cardio on my own.

I'm seventeen and I'm about 5'5 and weigh 165 lbs. (I play D-line or O-line when they need me) I have a set of dumbbells (10lbs-20lbs), a bench press with 100lbs of weight and my dad's old spinning bike.

I don't really have the cash right now to join a gym, so with my equipment, what exercises can I do to:
    - Have a strong chest
    - Decent arms
    - Strong midsection
    - Tone and strengthen legs

Thank you in advance for your advice.

P.S. Since I'm going to be building a lot of muscle, what type of supplements should I think about purchasing? I'm allergic to dairy products (whey powder, milk powder) and nuts.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

To be perfectly honest your going to need more weight than that. If you mean you have a 45lb barbell with 100 extra pounds of weight that may get you by for benching for a short time, doing more reps. And it would definitely work for Bent-over rows(only if the bench press you speak of is a barbell and not a machine). But if it's just 100lbs total I don't think a 165 lb guy could get much use out of that long term. To really gain strength you really have to push yourself and increase weight consistently. As for your lower body, you will need to squat and deadlift, and the amount of weight available to you is just not enough to really increase your strength in the big important compound lifts.
    Working with what you have though, I would Bench, Bent-over row, Do pull-ups if you can, Standing overhead press will also not be a problem if you have a barbell. and I'm not really one for making up creative lifts but I bet somebody will have some good input.

Banned
    Push/pull a car/sled, do hill sprints and eat a ton.

There are plenty of gyms for $10 a month, I'm sure you're school has a gym as well. If you're serious about getting stronger, you're going to need the proper equipment.
    Last edited by Cards; 05-08-2011 at 03:57 PM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    So I should really consider selling the bench-press that I have and opting for a gym membership?

Banned
    If it only goes up to 100lbs ya.

Your school doesn't have a gym or weight room? I know when I was in high school the gym would open up from 8 in the morning till 5 in the after noon during the summer.
    MINNESOTA

PR's @ 169-170, 5'10
    Squat- 1x315
    DL- 1x330
    Bench 2x235
    Total- 880

Goal- Ideal Weight 180, and Total Raw Weight- 1000

Power Clean and Press till you find a gym

Supplements:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/hypertroph...ation-program/

Eat chicken or fish instead of milk protein.

If he's 165 and playing line, he's probably from a small school. All 4 years in HS all of us were over 250 on the line, 4 playoff births and 1 state championship, undefeated that year. His school may not have the type of setup we're accustomed to. If they do, by all means make arrangements to get to school early and/or stay late bro. If it's something you want to COMMIT to, and not just a momentary fantasy, you'll find a way to make it work.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Do not sell your equipment. 100 lbs is plenty to start with. Just try to buy weight whenever you can find it cheap (try craigslist). Do overhead press, benchpress, Good mornings, squats, front squats, bb rows, tbar rows, pullups, pushups, barbell extensions, power cleans, etc etc. There is a good list of exercises and descriptions on elitefts.com so check it out. Get yourself a good basic program like starting strength, 5x5 or 5/3/1 and figure out how to make it work with what you have available to you.

Start eating more. If you play the line, at 5'5 there's no reason you can't be at least 200 lbs. Forget about supplements, just eat more. A little junk food here and there isn't going to kill you and it will help you get in the calories you need.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Upper Body – 6 reps per set

Lower Body – 8-12 reps

Warm-up…Light Power Snatch
    1. Two Arm Curl
    2. Two Arm Press
    3. Deep Knee Bend (squat) on toes
    4. Two Arm Pullover
    5. Stiff-Legged Deadlift
    6. Supine (bench) Press
    7. Side Bend
    8. Bent-legged Deadlift
    9. Rise on Toes (heel raise)
    10. Straddle Hop (Dumbbells on Shoulders)
    11. Shoulder Shrug

Start by running through once. Build up to more over time.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Do not sell your equipment. 100 lbs is plenty to start with. Just try to buy weight whenever you can find it cheap (try craigslist). Do overhead press, benchpress, Good mornings, squats, front squats, bb rows, tbar rows, pullups, pushups, barbell extensions, power cleans, etc etc. There is a good list of exercises and descriptions on elitefts.com so check it out. Get yourself a good basic program like starting strength, 5x5 or 5/3/1 and figure out how to make it work with what you have available to you.

Start eating more. If you play the line, at 5'5 there's no reason you can't be at least 200 lbs. Forget about supplements, just eat more. A little junk food here and there isn't going to kill you and it will help you get in the calories you need.
    165 at 5'5" in HS, 100 pounds is not enough. Shoot 100 pounds was not enough for me at 5'9" and tipping the scale at a mighty 100#. Everyone's body and ability to pack on muscle is different, and varies through life (I went from non gainer to absurd gainer) but 100# just isn't enough. And assuming the set came as a 100# set I wouldn't be at all eager to start piling 200-250# on there - the bar is probably paper thin.

To OP - depends on what you want to do. If you want to gain weight - start gaining weight. I know that sounds stupid, I dropped wrestling in HS because I "couldn't" keep on the You m- but now that I am older I have realized that I really just need 4-5,000 calories every day - sitting still. In high school growing - I should have been taking in 6-7,000 calories a day. Some people are really different. And yes, I took in about 4-5,000 calories every day - before I started working out again - and maintained weight. I am at about 6,000/day now and dropping weight fast. That is 9 Totinos pizzas a DAY. Think 3 of those every meal, and that not being enough. You might just be a heavy calorie burner.

Next would come the honest self assessment, and I don't intend to be mean. Are you a chubby kid that "really wants to get ripped" - or a skinny kid that literally can't keep on the weight? If you are the chubby kid - disregard ALL of the advice from the above posters and myself - what you need is to hit the weights harder. If you are the skinny kid (but 165 at 5'5" isn't) you need to hit the weights harder and eat WAY more.

But then, we are back to the 100# problem. See if your parents can get a membership for you.