The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

View Poll Results: Which do you personally do?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full Squat - right to the floor.

84 48.84%
  • Half Squat - close to parallel.

65 37.79%
  • Both on same day.

7 4.07%
  • Both on different days.

16 9.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Full Squat or Parrelell

I have heard many reasons and different view of this fourm. So I just want to see what you all say.
    Deal with it.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I come from a powerlifting background, and have always squatted slightly below paralell.Since i have been bodybuilding competitively, my hard to grow quads have /are responding a lot better with ass to the floor squats.

ATF baby.

Full squat!

Besides demonstrating strength or a lack of being able to reach that depth, why would you choose anything less?

Bill

Depends on your goals and abilities.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

True. What about muscular development?

Originally posted by bmanderson
    True. What about muscular development?
    ATF

Well ATF wouldn't necessarily be better for muscular development. You would be able to lift less weight, due to mechanical difficulties, so that would lead to *less* muscular development I'd think.

If you just wanted that, you could do leg press and a group of other more targeted exercises. It would be less efficient but you'd lift more weight and induce more hypertrophy.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

bone crusher
    i think for lower torso development, deep squats work the hams and glutes very well

throw in some lunges and/or leg extensions to work the quads and you have an extremely effective leg workout

All the way down, at least bellow parallel. It's a rule in powerlifting...
    Southern Pride !

Equal Opportunity Offender Budiak's Avatar
    Either way you've got to go to below parallel, and IMO thats fairly deep. For powerlifting purposes I think that going ATF part of the time is good to help in sticking point training, Its in my uneducated opinion that a free atf squat is going to work differently from a box squat in the lowest position.

Well, it dont mean ****, but deeper than 99% of squatters, at least.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    IMO paralell is a full squat

otherwise we would not need the term ATF

Half Squat = half way to parrelell

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Banned
    keep in mind that a 'true' parallel squat is not when the back of your thigh is parallel to the ground, but rather the MIDDLE of your thigh is parallel... this translates to a 2-3" difference at LEAST for most people

a full squat is breaking parallel, while ATF is just that.

I do both, but use the ATF method to just exercise my muscles through a complete ROM

Originally posted by Callahan
    keep in mind that a 'true' parallel squat is not when the back of your thigh is parallel to the ground, but rather the MIDDLE of your thigh is parallel... this translates to a 2-3" difference at LEAST for most people
    I thought parallel was when the top of your thigh was parallel. Like when your quad sweep becomes parallel, thus putting another inch or two below your definition? Is this correct?

Wannabebig Member
    wait so if i did more weight on doing parallel squats, that would induce more muscular growth than doing less weight with ATF squats?

Originally posted by Callahan
    Different feds have different rules, but this idea is wrong under IPF rules

I always squat at least parallel or below. Sometimes using heavy weights makes it easier to get lower.
    5'7 240
    Lifting Exp: 17 years

Bodybuilding is a science, but it ain't rocket science.

http://bungerbrad.wix.com/powerlifting

True parallel is when the crease at your hip is even with your knee. Like these guys said, this is a full squat. For me, ass to calves is only a few more inches down. So parallel is plenty deep.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

To me, the difference comes in the mechanics of the two.

With the wide stance I use for a PL squat, IPF legal is just like that....a few inches lower, and there's nowhere else to go.

With the closer stance I use for OL squats though, I can go quite a bit further down.

So calling it a half squat or a full squat doesn't really mean much (to me) unless you're listing the context along with it.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Yeah, that is a function partially of mechanics, but also of hip flexibility.

This is why guys like Simmons stress wide stance squats. First it is MUCH tighter, as your hips and glutes come into play much more. I'd wager given average flexibility, it could take a month or more of squatting wide stance before your flexibility allows a legal depth squat. It's that tightness that allows you to bust out of the hole much easier as the tension on the hips will promote you to go back up. Also, it fires the glutes and hams more, and lower back as well.

I can't go that deep wide stance yet. I've pretty much been doing everything to parallel with a shoulder width or less stance, but will start focusing on going an inch or two wider each week now.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

I've heard a good bit from inside the powerlifting gossip-tree that Westside competitors had quite a bit of problems over the past few years reaching IPF-legal depth primarily due to that wide-ass stance they use.

Whether this has changed or not I can't say (I could ask), but I can observe the same effect. I'm not so sure if that's a function of flexibility or of simple mechanical limitations, though. Granted I can squat deeper now with a wide stance than I could at any time in the past, but that super-wide sumo stance is still *too* wide for my tastes.

My favored stance these days still fits in a normal power rack.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

bump with what Matt said.

WestSiders can squat to IPF depth with there stance, they just chose not to cuss its worthless in the feds they lift in. Not taking anything away from them at all, they do what it takes for their fed, not for some other fed they dont compete in.

I personally follow the IPF squat depth, for me its the only way to go. My squat width is fairly close as well, just a bit wider then shoulder width apart.

Kc

Wannabebig Member
    what is better for legs? wider stance or opposite? maybe, shoulder width vs. maybe a foot outside shoulder width on each side? i feel that i need a wider stance to squat to be sure that my knees won't pass my toes

Does the wider stance put less stress on the knees, or is it my imagination? When I do a shoulder width squa, or less than that, I feel as if my knee is going to buckle. With the wider than shoulder width base, my knees feel fine. Is this due to less stress on the knees, or just that fact that I have a wider and more solid base?
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx