The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

"Hybrid" Training And Stories

Ok, the reason I put the word hybrid in quotation marks is because I really feel I may be using this word incorrectly. I am interested in finding out if there is a weight training discipline that is a cross between powerlifting and body building. Hope someone out there can help me.

I am 5' 8", 145 lbs. and 58 years old. Recently I benched 170 lbs. I "did" 175 lbs. about a month ago, but I think the spotter gave me a little too much assistance. Now, I know this is not impressive but I am please with my progress. I have only returned to lifting about 2 months ago. Looking for a good overall program that is the "hybrid" type.

Also, any information on diet would be great.

I am living and working in China and was pleasantly surprised to find a gym in my neighborhood. Now this is not your modern gym that you can find in the downtown of any major Chinese metropolis (and pay through the nose for). This gym reminds me of the seedy little weight room I started out in years ago. The owner has done a good job of stocking it with free weights. Now Chinese weight rooms of this type can be interesting. Guys here will smoke while working out. Many guys will workout in their street clothes. Everyone here is friendly and supportive.

Anyway, I do digress, but didn't feel like making a second post.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Garage Lifter
    Hybrid workout to me means incorporating some kind of metabolic conditioning with strength training.

What you're describing is usually called "powerbuilding" Most (maybe all) the programs in the stickies here would be considered powerbuilding. The focus is on increased hypertrophy due to increases in strength.
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

I think Wendler's 5-3-1 system is about as close to it ass it gets.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermonster View Post
    I think Wendler's 5-3-1 system is about as close to it ass it gets.
    I would say that is much more of a strength-focused program with really no value to someone who is interested in general health / conditioning or bodybuilding. Of course there are variations of the program but the standard 5-3-1 is basically a powerlifting routine.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I would say that is much more of a strength-focused program with really no value to someone who is interested in general health / conditioning or bodybuilding. Of course there are variations of the program but the standard 5-3-1 is basically a powerlifting routine.
    If you do the routine with the 'Boring and Big' along with the assistance work as suggested, it is not that different from what I used to do as a bodybuilder/powerlifter competitor from 2000-2002. At 5'10" I was cut for bodybuilding meets at about 212 lbs. That's a pretty decent amount of muscle mass. The 5-3-1 grid work itself wouldn't be very effective except for strength. But if you do 'Boring and Big' format with it; it is a pretty good dual purpose program I think.
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

Banned
    You could also set up 5/3/1 with the triumvirate, which will have you hitting every body part twice per 9 days...basically same split as hct-12, just varying intensities depending on whether that particular body part for that day falls within a 5/3/1 main movement or an accessory.

For example, on bench press day you could do DB shoulder press, pullups, and a tricep movement as your accessories.

Just what you were asking for...
    Dysmorphia Training - http://www.wannabebig.com/training/d...ia-training-2/
    Last edited by Off Road; 05-11-2011 at 12:19 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!