Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating Before Bed / Gaining Mass

Eating Before Bed / Gaining Mass

Who here eats before bed when trying to put on size? And what do you typically eat?
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 225 lbs | Gym PR's -> Front Squat: 510 lbs / Overhead: 375 lbs / Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Garage Lifter
    I always do. Usually around 400 to 500 calories. No carbs, all fat and protein trying to get at least 30g+ protein. Ends up being random meat, cheeses and some nuts. Sometimes a protein shake
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Buling or cutting, I usually have a protein (Nitrean) shake about an hour before bed.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig New Member
    i will do a casein shake an hour or so before bed.

Usually a bowl of cottage cheese, with salt and pepper.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

A large glass of milk. This is also when I take my fish oil and multi-vitamin.

Plenty of milk............or a shake depending on how well I ate during the day.

Cheese sandwich sometimes too.
    Squat briefs only 625 @ 210
    Bench geared 525 @ 210
    Deadlift geared 650 @ 220

Captains of Crush #3

Building Mighty Mitts...

I cottage cheese it up having a cup... use to hate it now I tolerate it and just eat it quick.
    Currently Juggernaut Method Journal
    http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...m-That-Project

"Do today what you will regret not doing tomorrow." ~Me

This is a declaration of war not against others but upon my own self...

Depends, ill eat anything from nothing to everything. I view it no different than any other hour of the day other than for pre and post workout, those are the only two meals that I believe deserve special attention.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

When I was following an actual diet I was eating my last meal about an hour before bed.45g protein, 3g fish oil, 3g EPO. At the moment no eating before bed, I usually stop eating at around 6-7pm with bedtime being anywhere between 1-3 am.

I have always eaten before bed, off-season and precontest. Right now I have 6 whole eggs & 1 cup of oatmeal

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Cress View Post
    I have always eaten before bed, off-season and precontest. Right now I have 6 whole eggs & 1 cup of oatmeal
    You heard it here folks, carbs before bedtime are not the devil!

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

LuNa
    Both when bulking or cutting i will have a casein/whey shake with a handful of almonds.

Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Exactly! It seems that a lot of individuals are carb phobic. Carbs are not evil and don't make you gain fat, too many calories and junk does that. I've had many clients, including myself have carbs prior to bed 6 weeks out from a contest (males and females).

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    But I thought carbs were like vampires and turned to fat once the sun goes down.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Exactly! It seems that a lot of individuals are carb phobic. Carbs are not evil and don't make you gain fat, too many calories and junk does that. I've had many clients, including myself have carbs prior to bed 6 weeks out from a contest (males and females).
    I'm curious as to the reasoning to stop them at that point? I really enjoy following prep logs and apart from the guys that believe in the old school voodoo tricks like candy, wine and also crazy (usually unnecessary and sometimes dangerous) sodium and water tricks prior to stepping on stage I do see a lot of smart and well conditioned guys keep pretty much the same diet all the way up until peak week (which I fully agree to not try and employ a lot of new tactics late if its been getting you where you need to go). Is it mostly a way of just reducing the most easily disposed of calories in their diet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    But I thought carbs were like vampires and turned to fat once the sun goes down.
    They are, which is why if you eat carbs at night you should always sleep with uv admitting bulbs on you to avoid lipogenisis.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 05-12-2011 at 06:07 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    they do when theyre chased wit h 16 beers and a pizza

What's the exact science people use?

My wife is always on me about having a protein shake (Sometimes with a banana) an hour before bed. Her reasoning is "Your body slows down and tries to rest but you keep it from resting well because now it has to digest food...therefore you don't sleep well and are doing yourself no good."

Arguing with her is pointless (Any married man knows). Just curious as to how people got this idea and what the science behind what really happens is...all I know is that if I have dinner at 6 or 7 and I'm hungry at 10 or 11, I can't think about going to bed. I need a couple hundred calories in me.
    Ban Censors Don’t Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

Banned
    A lot of BBers actually wake up in the middle of the night to drink a shake.

Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    What's the exact science people use?

My wife is always on me about having a protein shake (Sometimes with a banana) an hour before bed. Her reasoning is "Your body slows down and tries to rest but you keep it from resting well because now it has to digest food...therefore you don't sleep well and are doing yourself no good."

Arguing with her is pointless (Any married man knows). Just curious as to how people got this idea and what the science behind what really happens is...all I know is that if I have dinner at 6 or 7 and I'm hungry at 10 or 11, I can't think about going to bed. I need a couple hundred calories in me.
    There is no science behind it, it's just another arbitrarily perpetuated myth.

Starting Current

I'm curious as to the reasoning to stop them at that point? I really enjoy following prep logs and apart from the guys that believe in the old school voodoo tricks like candy, wine and also crazy (usually unnecessary and sometimes dangerous) sodium and water tricks prior to stepping on stage I do see a lot of smart and well conditioned guys keep pretty much the same diet all the way up until peak week (which I fully agree to not try and employ a lot of new tactics late if its been getting you where you need to go). Is it mostly a way of just reducing the most easily disposed of calories in their diet?
    You hit the nail on the head with this "Is it mostly a way of just reducing the most easily disposed of calories in their diet?" When calories get lower and you're in that relative deficit you want more calories in the first 3-4 meals depending on your caloric intake. Now you could also just evenly divide your carbs and just have much smaller portions with all meals, there isn't just one way and it depends on the client.

All those voodoo tricks are completely useless and can do more harm than good. Only if someone is depeleted and lean enough would you load them just to fill them out and dry them out as much as possible so they don;t look stringy on stage.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 05-13-2011 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mchicia1 View Post
    A lot of BBers actually wake up in the middle of the night to drink a shake.
    You never want to wake up in the middle of the night just to drink a shake, sleep is way to important to interupt. Now if you happen to wake up to use the bathroom or something then its fine.

Banned
    You never want to wake up in the middle of the night just to drink a shake, sleep is way to important to interupt. Now if you happen to wake up to use the bathroom or something then its fine.
    Thats what I meant, during bathroom breaks.

I don't wake up to use the bathroom at night...I'm not that old yet

My wife on the other hand would end up having three or four shakes a night - lol
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by Off Road View Post
    I don't wake up to use the bathroom at night...I'm not that old yet
    I do an I'm only 25

Starting Current