The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11

    Best foods to break into cutting-stage of lifting

    I've been lifting on and off for the past 4 years on about 1.5 year moments of lifting then half year off.

    My goal is ultimately to trying to get more cut.

    I have been always trying to gain weight for the past 4 years when I started out at 130 lbs as a senior in high school.

    I'm now a senior in highschool and weigh about 170lbs @ 5' 10''. I ultimately feel like I have a good amount of muscle, but since I've been on a 'not-as-strict' gain I've added a little, little bit of fat with that 40lb gain.

    What are the best foods to eat and still feel full (since I've been on a cut - I'm used to easily eating 3100-3400cals)?

    How many days per week should I do cardio? I really haven't done a lot at all of cardio these past 4 years, so I feel I need to buckle down (even though I really don't like it), it has to happen now.

    My routine looks like: (but I'm a bit confused where to add in cardio) - I have about 45min to 1hr per day. I did not add in SETS/REPS since I'm not sure if this all is too much volume to begin with.

    Mon
    Back (Horizontal)
    Seated Rows
    Rack Pulls
    Tbar Rows

    Chest (Horizontal)
    DB Press
    Inc DB Press
    DB Flies

    Calves
    Weighted calf raises

    ~10 mins of elliptical

    Tues
    Legs
    Squats
    Leg Press

    Biceps
    Curls
    Hammer Curls

    Abs
    Situps

    Wednesday
    OFF, exept, 30 mins of cardio today


    Thurs
    Back (Vertical)
    Lat pulldowns
    Pullups
    Chinups
    Deadlift

    Shoulders (Vertical)
    DB Shoulder Press
    Side Lateral

    Fri
    Hamstring
    Squats

    Chest (Horizontal)
    Inc DB Press


    Triceps
    Skullcrushers
    Overhead Press
    Rope Pull

    ~10 mins of elliptical

    Calves
    Seated Calf Raises

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,130
    Just go into maintanence for a while, and get on a good routine like HCT-12..... Keep your protein high, and cut out "bad" foods gradually. You'll definately be able to 'recomp' doing that, and then you can decide whether you need to cut or continue on bulking.

  4. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    Just go into maintanence for a while, and get on a good routine like HCT-12..... Keep your protein high, and cut out "bad" foods gradually. You'll definately be able to 'recomp' doing that, and then you can decide whether you need to cut or continue on bulking.
    Basically, as (many) other guys want - I want to develop my abs more.

    Why do you suggest doing maintenance? Aren't I going to lose muscle mass?

  5. #4
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,324
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd750 View Post
    I've been lifting on and off for the past 4 years on about 1.5 year moments of lifting then half year off.

    My goal is ultimately to trying to get more cut.

    I have been always trying to gain weight for the past 4 years when I started out at 130 lbs as a senior in high school.

    I'm now a senior in highschool and weigh about 170lbs @ 5' 10''. I ultimately feel like I have a good amount of muscle, but since I've been on a 'not-as-strict' gain I've added a little, little bit of fat with that 40lb gain.

    What are the best foods to eat and still feel full (since I've been on a cut - I'm used to easily eating 3100-3400cals)?

    How many days per week should I do cardio? I really haven't done a lot at all of cardio these past 4 years, so I feel I need to buckle down (even though I really don't like it), it has to happen now.

    My routine looks like: (but I'm a bit confused where to add in cardio) - I have about 45min to 1hr per day. I did not add in SETS/REPS since I'm not sure if this all is too much volume to begin with.
    If you're used to eating 3100-3400 then you should focus on eating a few hundred less than that consistently. 2600-2700 is probably a fine place to start. You shouldn't need to worry about adding cardio in off the bat, trying to do too many things to induce fat loss only complicates things early on. All you really need is a few hundred less calories. Adding cardio is simply another way to put you into an energy deficit (therefore 300 less calories is the same as cardio that burns 300 calories).

    Lots of lean protein sources will help keep you full. Fats are pretty satiating but are very calorie dense so some sources (like nuts) it is very easy to eat a large volume of them and accidentally consume a very large amount of calories. Fibrous veggies are excellent for keeping you full. Refined carbs (white bread, white pasta, sugary things etc) will cause a blood glucose swing that will leave you hungry. Whole grain sources are much more optimal from a satiety perspective.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  6. #5
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,324
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd750 View Post
    Basically, as (many) other guys want - I want to develop my abs more.

    Why do you suggest doing maintenance? Aren't I going to lose muscle mass?
    Ignore eating at maintenance. You will be best served reducing bodyfat by way of a calorie restricted diet to have more developed abs. If you're smart and don't overdo things there is no reason muscle loss should be a concern on a good diet.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 05-09-2011 at 05:18 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  7. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    oh the north country!
    Posts
    191
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Ignore eating at maintenance. You will be best served reducing bodyfat by weight a calorie restricted diet to have more developed abs. If you're smart and don't overdo things there is no reason muscle loss should be a concern on a good diet.

    ^^^ boom. nuff said.

  8. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Bay Area, CA
    Posts
    1,130
    A cut at this point would be a big mistake IMO. You bulked up very quickly and haven't been at that weight for long enough yet. And you are already going to be too late to get cut for summer. If anything you'll probably end up where you were when you started or even a little fatter than when you started.

    You can believe who you want, but dont make the mistakes I made in the past, you'll just end up yo-yoing back and forth with little progress. Jack your protein up a ton, and eat at maintanence or slightly above. Focus on increasing strength and do a bit of cardio if you want. You'll be much better off in the long run, as well as the short term.

  9. #8
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    A cut at this point would be a big mistake IMO. You bulked up very quickly and haven't been at that weight for long enough yet. And you are already going to be too late to get cut for summer. If anything you'll probably end up where you were when you started or even a little fatter than when you started.

    You can believe who you want, but dont make the mistakes I made in the past, you'll just end up yo-yoing back and forth with little progress. Jack your protein up a ton, and eat at maintanence or slightly above. Focus on increasing strength and do a bit of cardio if you want. You'll be much better off in the long run, as well as the short term.
    JPD750 - You can do this, I'm not telling you what you should or shouldn't choose to do. But this is not the way to get abs if that's what you're after. It will actually take you farther away from getting them. It is your personal decision on whether you want to cut down or bulk up. Don't listen to anybody saying "you're too little or you're too big" unless it is a general health concern. All that truly matters is your comfort and you getting out of it what you want. If you want abs, then you need to diet.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  10. #9
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fanelli View Post
    A cut at this point would be a big mistake IMO. You bulked up very quickly and haven't been at that weight for long enough yet. And you are already going to be too late to get cut for summer. If anything you'll probably end up where you were when you started or even a little fatter than when you started.

    You can believe who you want, but dont make the mistakes I made in the past, you'll just end up yo-yoing back and forth with little progress. Jack your protein up a ton, and eat at maintanence or slightly above. Focus on increasing strength and do a bit of cardio if you want. You'll be much better off in the long run, as well as the short term.
    Dan - Please give pertinent advice to what the poster asks. This is the only time I'm going to ask.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

  11. #10
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Dan - Please give pertinent advice to what the poster asks. This is the only time I'm going to ask.
    See guys - I used to weigh almost 180, about 175ish when I was in the best of my last lifting go around (about 6 months ago) , this time I am swearing I am never stopping again until it negatively affects my well being.

    I basically just want to look bigger, abs are a + for me in my books, it really wouldn't be too tough for me since I still have somewhat of a high metabolism and am a ectomorph my built (given used to being 130lbs @ 5' 10'' back in high school).

    What do you really think I should do? WIll dieting make me lose muscle? I know one can realistically lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but is this only for the genetically gifted???

  12. #11
    Professional hobbit Focused70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Hobbiton, The Shire
    Posts
    7,812
    Quote Originally Posted by jpd750 View Post
    See guys - I used to weigh almost 180, about 175ish when I was in the best of my last lifting go around (about 6 months ago) , this time I am swearing I am never stopping again until it negatively affects my well being.

    I basically just want to look bigger, abs are a + for me in my books, it really wouldn't be too tough for me since I still have somewhat of a high metabolism and am a ectomorph my built (given used to being 130lbs @ 5' 10'' back in high school).

    What do you really think I should do? WIll dieting make me lose muscle? I know one can realistically lose fat and gain muscle at the same time, but is this only for the genetically gifted???

    You're over-thinking things a wee bit.

    Do you look good in jeans? (Don't answer me. Just ask yourself that.)

    If you want to bulk, then bulk. If you want to cut, then cut. Behemoth gave you solid advice ... worth taking, imho.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah


    Food log

    The Focused Chronicles

  13. #12
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    Ignore eating at maintenance. You will be best served reducing bodyfat by way of a calorie restricted diet to have more developed abs. If you're smart and don't overdo things there is no reason muscle loss should be a concern on a good diet.
    Can you define a 'good diet' ? I know, I know I've seen the post on WBB about 'what bodybuilder's eat'

    How much calories/protein/fat/carbs for me @ ~168-170 and 5' 10''

  14. #13
    Beefcake razorcut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
    You shouldn't need to worry about adding cardio in off the bat, trying to do too many things to induce fat loss only complicates things early on. All you really need is a few hundred less calories. Adding cardio is simply another way to put you into an energy deficit (therefore 300 less calories is the same as cardio that burns 300 calories).
    Great advice here. Too often overlooked.
    I know you're half-crazy, but I wish you'd go all the way.

    "Razorcut, as usual, is 100% correct." --- ectx

    "It is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --- Charles Darwin

  15. #14
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    11
    Thank you all

  16. #15
    Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    2,809
    Just to reiterate on what Behemoth said:
    Learn to love your veggies.

    Just a chicken breast for dinner pretty much sucks as far as satiety goes- cut it up and put it on a giant bed of romaine lettuce and some lowfat balsamic vinegar, and you just added around 100 calories and made the meal filling.

    Or when I'm really craving something shitty I cut it with vegetables. If I want mcdonalds I go and get something off the dollar menu, then eat a giant salad or a big bowl of baby carrots, so I'm both full and got my junk food craving in. Same thing if I want a bag of potato chips, a ice cream bar, whatever.

    As far as your "good diet" question. Don't get too caught up in the details, calorie count, and make sure you're getting enough protein. Unless your leaning towards extremes the whole fat/carb ratio is pretty arbitrary. Personally I feel like shit when I'm cutting if I don't have enough carbs in my diet, so I tend to cut down on fat pretty substantially, but others tend to like how full they feel with fat and have no problem cutting down on carbs. Count your calories and be consistent! I can't emphasize this enough. Calorie counting takes all the stress out of eating, you don't have to worry about eating this "healthy" thing or that "unhealthy" thing because at the end of the day, what matters is that you are hitting your macros. You can have a hamburger, some fries, a beer or two, a little bit of ice cream. As long as you are controlling your intake it doesn't matter and you will be more sane in the long run.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

    Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

  17. #16
    Senior Member GazzyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melton Mowbray, England, UK
    Posts
    3,275
    Lots of great advice from experience people in here. Read their words and let them sink in.
    Add me on Facebook: Gaz Pengelly

    Best Lifts: | Goals:
    SQ167.5(368.5) | 180(396)
    BE112.5(247.5) | 120(265)
    DL205(451) | 220(484)

    www.garethkpengelly.co.uk

  18. #17
    Rory Parker Behemoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    5,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    Just to reiterate on what Behemoth said:
    Learn to love your veggies.

    Just a chicken breast for dinner pretty much sucks as far as satiety goes- cut it up and put it on a giant bed of romaine lettuce and some lowfat balsamic vinegar, and you just added around 100 calories and made the meal filling.

    Or when I'm really craving something shitty I cut it with vegetables. If I want mcdonalds I go and get something off the dollar menu, then eat a giant salad or a big bowl of baby carrots, so I'm both full and got my junk food craving in. Same thing if I want a bag of potato chips, a ice cream bar, whatever.

    As far as your "good diet" question. Don't get too caught up in the details, calorie count, and make sure you're getting enough protein. Unless your leaning towards extremes the whole fat/carb ratio is pretty arbitrary. Personally I feel like shit when I'm cutting if I don't have enough carbs in my diet, so I tend to cut down on fat pretty substantially, but others tend to like how full they feel with fat and have no problem cutting down on carbs. Count your calories and be consistent! I can't emphasize this enough. Calorie counting takes all the stress out of eating, you don't have to worry about eating this "healthy" thing or that "unhealthy" thing because at the end of the day, what matters is that you are hitting your macros. You can have a hamburger, some fries, a beer or two, a little bit of ice cream. As long as you are controlling your intake it doesn't matter and you will be more sane in the long run.
    Very good stuff here.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

    "You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott



    I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Similar Threads

  1. More Cutting Foods
    By motor head in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-03-2009, 08:12 PM
  2. Calories while on a cut, but taking a break from lifting
    By DokterVet in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-27-2007, 03:35 PM
  3. Quick Q about takinga a break while cutting
    By adamnur in forum Bodybuilding & Weight Training
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-22-2007, 10:26 AM
  4. Best possible foods for cutting?
    By jAy_Dub in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 09:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •