The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: 6 weeks out

6 weeks out

I'll be competing as a novice middleweight in The Battle at the River in Chattanooga, TN on june 11.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

3 and a half more weeks.

You're looking great bro, what are your stats?

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

5'10 and 184 pounds. Its my first show and i just decided to compete in the fall, so I'm expecting to come in smoother than I had hoped. I'm doing liquid egg whites and plain oatmeal for my first meal. Then I do 8oz of protein with sweet potatoes drizzled with walnut oil every two hours for a total of 7 meals a day. I'm doing an hour and 10 minutes of cardio at 5am, usually split equally between the bike on high resistance and the elliptical. I go home, eat around 7:30 and head back to the gym to lift. Regular split. Monday chest, Tue back, Wed arms, Thurs legs, Fri shoulders, Saturday is usually a maintenance day for upper body and Sunday I hit legs again.

Looking leaner compared to 3 weeks ago. I hope you are able to make more progress over the course of these next few weeks.

Have you been hitting abs much? They are there, but they just seem like they could be a bit pronounced. Not sure if it's genetic or lack of training.

How is the leg separation going? Even if they aren't the biggest, you can still get them nice a separated giving great detail.

I am 4 days away. I am due for some pictures in this part of the forums also.
    Journal http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...us-Consistency

Consistency is the key to success within this sport...

You definitley have a great frame for bodybuilding. You need to be more conditioned (leaner) than you currently are, but not bad for you doing your own prep and your first show, so congrats.

Instead of doing soo much cardio you would better off changing up the diet. It seems that your calories could drop a bit more and manipulate a few things. Also you should never train 7 days a week during contest prep or during the off season, your body needs rest!. Once you get into a truly depeleted state and very low bodyfat levels you would cause many problems with recovery. This is were having a coach, especially for contest prep is essential at least until you have a ton of experience.

Keep up the good work.
    Last edited by Allen Cress; 05-17-2011 at 10:10 PM.

I agree with Allen on training 7 days a week. At least take a day off to give yourself some rest.

I also agree that you might be a little behind but you still look great. You've got some nice size to work with.

One thing you could try doing is dropping carbs from one of your meals these last 3 weeks. Shit, maybe in a week you could even drop carbs from 2 meals if you absolutely had to. It's something I had to do as I got closer to my show and it definitely leaned up nicely because of it.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Yeah, I had hoped to be able to maintain carbs and sodium throughout, but I just don't lean our like some people. I plan to cut both starting next week, and possibly start to slowly restrict water.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamik View Post
    Yeah, I had hoped to be able to maintain carbs and sodium throughout, but I just don't lean our like some people. I plan to cut both starting next week, and possibly start to slowly restrict water.
    You are 3 weeks out so there is no way you should do anything different with water even at a week out, why would you? Water is very important in transporting nutrients to the muscle, especially glycogen. Also no need to cut sodium either, it should be maintained throughout. If you try to mess with these things you can cause an imbalance in your sodium/potassium pump and make you retain more water.

All you need to do at this point is manipulate macros, nothing crazy. Don't try random things at this point you could do more harm than good, especially if you really don't know the ins and outs of it.

Shamik, you're looking pretty good. This is your first contest and it'll be a learning experience. You look behind, you should've started the diet sooner or made modifications to it (cutting carbs, changing macros, etc). Legs are lagging a bit as well. No big deal, though, I'm sure you know what you need to work on. Enjoy the ride and learn from the experience. It'll be that much more that you know the next time around. You might want to look into hiring a prep guy for your diet. Ask Jay, it is more often than not worth it. Best of luck to you, though, you've got great potential.
    Last edited by RBB; 05-19-2011 at 06:59 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on diet from here on out? Proteins have ranged from turkey chicken lean beef and tilapia. I do 16 ounces of liquid egg whites in the morning with 2 packets of instant oatmeal. I've been using walnut oil as a source of the fat and most recently only sweet potatoes for carbs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Its hard to give specific advice since I haven't been working with you the whole prep and know how your body works. A couple simple changes would be to take out your starchy carbs in the last 2 meals, you could have small serving of green veggies if you want them and cut out the walnut oil in the first 5 meals. Take 1 day of complete rest.