Thread: Back of Arms Routine

Back of Arms Routine

I am running the Back of Arms routine from the recent article. I just finished the first week. After three weeks I will change things up a bit by using different angles and hand positions. That will complete a six week cycle. I would then like to take a week off and resume the routine for another six weeks before I call it quits. But, I would like to use different exercises the second time around. I could use some help picking the new exercises given the routine's protocols. Remember, I have a very basic home gym with poer rack, barbell, bench and dumbbells.

The routine currently looks like:

AM Workout -
    A1. Seated 1/2 press 6 x 2-4
    ** come to a 2 sec stop on pins
    A2. Weighted chin 6 x 2-4
    B1. Dips 4 x 6
    B2. Incline hammer curl 4 x 6

PM Workout -
    A1. EZ bar extension w/chains 6 x 6-8
    A2. EZ bar preacher curl 4 x 6-8
    B1. Overhead DB triceps ext 3 x 8-10
    B2. *Incline concentration curl 3 x 8-10
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Here is something I threw together...Help me tweak it

AM Workout -
    A1. CGBP off pins (4" off chest) 6 x 2-4
    ** come to a 2 sec stop on pins
    A2. Weighted chin 6 x 2-4
    B1. Standing military press 4 x 6
    B2. Clean curl (like a cheat curl with a straight bar path) 4 x 6

PM Workout -
    A1. Bench Dips 6 x 6-8
    A2. EZ bar reverse grip curl 4 x 6-8
    B1. Flat DB triceps ext drop set 6/12/25
    B2. Db concentration curl drop set 6/12/25
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

fat submariner
    Off Road,

I've just started week 3 of this routine using 3 different gyms (1 at work, 1 at a local leisure centre and the (very basic) setup I have in my garage).

Does stopping 4" off your chest on the CGBP make a difference? I've been setting the pins as close as I can (1" if poss) to my chest... am I doing them wrong/engaging my pecs too much?

I would definately keep the Chin Ups in but I'm not sure you'd be getting enough out of the Bench Dips at those reps unless you've got your feet on another bench and you're adding some extra weight.

I do Tricep Kickbacks instead of the Rope Pushdowns if I'm working out at home, but I'd definately add Pushdowns into the routine later to change it up a bit (Jay did say in his article that we would do them!).

I love Overhead EZ Bar Extension and (again in Jay's article) “The further away the arms are from the belly button, the more recruitment there is of the long head of the triceps.”

How have you found the 1st week? I've added a lot of work to my training week in order to do my whole body and the 1st week was particularly tiring. Here's what I've been doing:

Day 1 - Arms (am & pm)
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Shoulders
    Day 4 - Legs
    Day 5 - Arms (am & pm)
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Back & Chest

That makes for 4 hard days in the gym a week (shoulders day is hard too but comparitively quick). I've seen a difference in my body shape over the last 2 weeks (as has my wife) and I'll grit my teeth to see it through to the end before probably trying the 5 x 5 routine (I'm recovering from a broken foot so can't free squat or properly deadlift at the moment! (or lunge)).

Mac
    Age: 41 - Height: 5'10" - Weight: 197lb (NOT LEAN! (but maybe finally getting a little bit leaner?))

Squat: 180kg (396lb) x 2
    Front Squat: 100kg (220lb) 5 x 5
    Zercher Squat: 140kg (308lbs) x 1
    Bench Press: 110kg (242lb) x 1
    Deadlift: 220kg (484lb) x 1
    SLDL: 170kg (374lb) x 1

Mac's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by macdaknife View Post
    Does stopping 4" off your chest on the CGBP make a difference? I've been setting the pins as close as I can (1" if poss) to my chest... am I doing them wrong/engaging my pecs too much?
    The original routine calls for seated press, as in shoulder press. I'll switch (maybe) to CGBP. I will set the pins off the chest so that I involve the triceps more than the shoulders and chest which take up a lot of load closer to the body.

I would definately keep the Chin Ups in but I'm not sure you'd be getting enough out of the Bench Dips at those reps unless you've got your feet on another bench and you're adding some extra weight.
    I will definitely be putting my feet up and adding weight to them to make them as hard as possible.

I do Tricep Kickbacks instead of the Rope Pushdowns if I'm working out at home, but I'd definately add Pushdowns into the routine later to change it up a bit (Jay did say in his article that we would do them!).
    I remember pushdowns being in the other routine for definition, but not the mass routine. Either way, I don't have access to a cable setup.

I love Overhead EZ Bar Extension and (again in Jay's article) “The further away the arms are from the belly button, the more recruitment there is of the long head of the triceps.”
    I will give that exercise some thought, it should fit in pretty well somewhere.

How have you found the 1st week? I've added a lot of work to my training week in order to do my whole body and the 1st week was particularly tiring. Here's what I've been doing:

Day 1 - Arms (am & pm)
    Day 2 - Rest
    Day 3 - Shoulders
    Day 4 - Legs
    Day 5 - Arms (am & pm)
    Day 6 - Rest
    Day 7 - Back & Chest

That makes for 4 hard days in the gym a week (shoulders day is hard too but comparitively quick). I've seen a difference in my body shape over the last 2 weeks (as has my wife)
    If it's working AND continues working, good for you. I have super abreviated the rest of my routine as called for in specialization. I do this:

Monday
    Deadlift
    Db Rows

Tuesday
    Arms routine (am and pm)

Thursday
    Squats
    Sled Pulls

Friday
    Arms Routine (am and PM)

I find this covers things pretty well since there is so much pressing and also chinups already in the arm routine. I plan to push that arm routine pretty hard in the weeks to come.
    Last edited by Off Road; 04-30-2011 at 06:08 PM.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Update...
    I am through the third week now. The two-a-days are tough to get through, especially when you keep adding weight to everything each session. My arms are up at least 1/4" so far and that's on a diet. I've lost about 4 lbs so far. So, double thumbs up for me
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal