Thread: Sled dragging observation

Hybrid View

Sled dragging observation

I've been using sled dragging after my squat sessions to work on conditioning and added leg work. I usually use a 200+ lb seld and really lean into it to get as much heavy work as possible. After yesterday's squat session I was feeling a little whooped, so I decided to lighten the sled a little for my pulls. I dropped the sled weight to 130 lbs and focussed on taking larger steps. I'll tell you what, this hit my hamstrings like never before. I will be experimenting with it some more but I was wondering if anybody else has had this experience?
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I haven't used a sled much, but I've used my pulling harness a lot, mostly on hills. I think you're right - it makes a difference to take longer strides.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

It makes sense. By loading up the sled with 200+lbs and leaning way forward, you're mimicking a sprinter's drive phase (when they come out of the blocks and accelerate, before they're standing upright). the drive phase is very quad-dominant compared to the upright sprinting phase, which is entirely posterior chain dominant, which is what you are probably doing with a lighter weight even if you don't realize it

sprinters use weight sleds to build leg strength and explosiveness in the horizontal plane of motion (something you can't really do in the weight room - squats, deads, and power cleans are all vertical), but even for the biggest and strongest guys there's really no need to use a huge amount of weight like 200lbs. if you ever feel like switching things up even more, you could try using only 50-75lbs and focus on running upright while moving as quickly as possible. go for a distance of 30-50 meters with short rests inbetween - makes for some damn good conditioning.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Try walking leading with your heels and taking large steps. It'll get even better

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    I haven't used a sled much, but I've used my pulling harness a lot, mostly on hills. I think you're right - it makes a difference to take longer strides.
    I'm thinking so, I'll keep experimenting with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    It makes sense. By loading up the sled with 200+lbs and leaning way forward, you're mimicking a sprinter's drive phase (when they come out of the blocks and accelerate, before they're standing upright). the drive phase is very quad-dominant compared to the upright sprinting phase, which is entirely posterior chain dominant, which is what you are probably doing with a lighter weight even if you don't realize it

sprinters use weight sleds to build leg strength and explosiveness in the horizontal plane of motion (something you can't really do in the weight room - squats, deads, and power cleans are all vertical), but even for the biggest and strongest guys there's really no need to use a huge amount of weight like 200lbs. if you ever feel like switching things up even more, you could try using only 50-75lbs and focus on running upright while moving as quickly as possible. go for a distance of 30-50 meters with short rests inbetween - makes for some damn good conditioning.
    Interesting. That makes a lot of sense. I'm not a runner, but I'm always looking for ways to work the legs and increase my conditioning. But I prefer walking with the sled because running with it takes away the friction.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    Try walking leading with your heels and taking large steps. It'll get even better
    Are you talking about pulling the sled backwards? That is twice as hard and kills the quads.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

No going forwards almost like you are walking on your heels trying to stretch out your calves.

It kinda pre extends the hamstring (think i just made that term up) and youll really feel it in the hips and hamstrings

Superior Athletics - Northeast Ohio's Center for Athlete Training
    *Westside Barbell Certified Gym

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bell View Post
    No going forwards almost like you are walking on your heels trying to stretch out your calves.

It kinda pre extends the hamstring (think i just made that term up) and youll really feel it in the hips and hamstrings
    Okay...I will definitely try that. Thanks.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

Had my first real sled experience, did what Travis was saying. Long leg drive, leading with the heals, and that sucks. Still really sore today. Was definitely a good workout.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May