The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Heavy calf training at home

I have a rack, a bench, dumbells, a barbell, plates, and a dip/chin belt.

For heavy calf raises (e.g. 3x5) I have always had weights on the belt and done single leg ones, but lately I have been using 80kg (180lb) on this belt and it is just too heavy to put on and take off etc so I haven't been able to do heavy calf training which is all my calves respond to.

Can anyone suggest a better way of doing this? I use a barbell on my back for higher rep double leg ones afterwards but this doesn't work with single leg ones it is just too heavy and balance is an issue

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

The standing calf raises like you're talking about, donkey calf raises, and seated calf raises. May need some creativity for the seated calf raises, sitting in a tall chair, toes on a box, plates on thighs, you're set.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Have a wife or gf at home? Get them on your back a la Pumping Iron.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

My wife would not be keen haha. Seated calf raises might be good, just be a huge bitch trying to get the weight on there

What I have decided to try is double leg calf raises with the barbell on my shoulders but just use a huuge amount of weight. And if I don't like that I'll try the seated ones but it will be a real mission to get all those plates on my lap

btw, I have been doing the lightest weights on calves in my lifetime and they look better than ever. I have been folloing Doggcrapp style for calves (15 second stretch at the bottom). I do a fraction of the weight of others and get better results. With calves you have to find what works best for you.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

Quote Originally Posted by greemah View Post
    My wife would not be keen haha. Seated calf raises might be good, just be a huge bitch trying to get the weight on there

What I have decided to try is double leg calf raises with the barbell on my shoulders but just use a huuge amount of weight. And if I don't like that I'll try the seated ones but it will be a real mission to get all those plates on my lap
    Rig a pulley system in your garage, load it up, have a lever to lower the weight slowly to your lap, you're good to go. Haha, kidding of course. Like c said, it's all about you, and what works. I've done high rep stuff, low rep stuff, and seen progress each way. It of course takes longer to get the feeling with low weight high reps for me, but still got the same effect. DC training and drop sets would definitely be something worth looking in to with calves. I've neglected actually training calves, but reading this gives me several ideas, and makes me wanna start training them again. I always figured walking around with 350+lbs was enough training for them, haha.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

House Lannister
    Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    btw, I have been doing the lightest weights on calves in my lifetime and they look better than ever. I have been folloing Doggcrapp style for calves (15 second stretch at the bottom). I do a fraction of the weight of others and get better results. With calves you have to find what works best for you.
    This.

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    One option for individuals with limited equipment/resistance would be to pre-exhaust the muscle groups that you are training. You could do some high-rep work for your calves and then perform the heavy work afterward - this way you would not require as much resistance to reach your target rep range.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Thanks for the suggestions all, very useful info