The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

I'm gonna be away from barbells for awhile, what do you guys think of these options?

First off, I need to work on my cardio for sure, so I've been looking into doing Insanity or P90X. Right now I only have access to a weight set Thursday-Sun so I've been doing Squat/DL twice a week and the power 90 cardio workout in between, whilst also supplementing Pavel's Grease the Groove with pushups daily.

I live in a dorm room right now so thats why I do those specific workouts, as I have enough room in my tiny capsule of a room to do them, but I'm moving in a few weeks.

I could get some dumbbells and MAYBE a pull-up bar so I could have the equipment do the P90X workout though maybe not with the plyo day workout as I may be living above someone in a duplex.

The other option I'm looking at is Insanity which says it requires NO additional accessories, which is nice, and seems to be actually a more intense workout.

Keep in mind I'm obviously not trying to bulk up or anything, just trying to get in better over fitness this summer til I have access to a gym again in September.

Thanks for reading through all that if you did guys!

(also note, jogging/sprinting/etc isn't a good option for me as I have flat feet and a hip/back injury/arthritis in my hip which hurts like hell when I run)

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Go buy yourself a couple of the 5 gallon water machine jugs and fill them with sand. I can't remember the actual weight, but they feel really heavy. Esp if it's wet sand.
    Best unequipped meet lifts - 120kg Open class
    Sq: 629lbs
    Bp: 330lbs
    Dl: 585lbs
    Training since Dec 2008.

Banned
    Burpees are always good, just take it easy in the beginning, they are amazingly hard. Also, for longer sessions, nothing beats hiking if you have hills around, otherwise just a long walk.

The book 'Never Gymless' has a ton of stuff that would help you. Basically you are looking at all different kinds of bodyweight circuits. I like to mix in more explosive stuff (like jump squats, slams, burpees), with slower moves like pushups, pullups etc.

The sandbag / waterjug is a good idea, and making a sled out of a old tire is also great.

Have fun.

i actually just got some good news, i went to look at the place and found out the bottom part of the duplex i was looking at is available too and i asked the guy if there would be an issue with me putting my squat rack on the deck and he said no problem! so i'm super amped. it's a great place in a hilly area with tons of land, which would be good for sled dragging (i've always wanted to try that). It's also a good distance to ride my bicycle to class which i think should be fine to supplement a full body strength training routine

it's like a 45 minute bike ride 3-5 times a week (twice a day) and I'm thinking twice a week SS style workout. I need a new bench though. mine is falling apart, my squat rack is in good condition though. i'll probably try Pavel's one armed Naked warrior pushup program til I can get a bench for my would be bench press days

Banned
    Cool man, sounds good. If you cant get a bench right away, or cant afford it, no problem. Go with standing press, and floor presses.

Banned
    next thread, "oh man i shouldnt have put my squat rack on my duplex's deck"

Quote Originally Posted by IronDiggy View Post
    Go buy yourself a couple of the 5 gallon water machine jugs and fill them with sand. I can't remember the actual weight, but they feel really heavy. Esp if it's wet sand.
    Haha, I actually lifted with those during vacation once. When I was 15 my family took a 2 week camping trip out west through yellowstone, the black hills, jackson hole etc. We had one of those 5 gallon water jugs that you're talking about, I don't know what it weighed full but I'd vary the amount of water in for different exercises. I know I used it for at least DB rows, curls, and squats. Probably quite a few more that I can't recall too. Also was doing pullups from tree branches, pushups pretty much anything I could come up with.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 05-21-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    Now that's funny!
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Quote Originally Posted by f=ma View Post
    lol

I asked the landlord if he thought it would hold upwards of 600lbs ( I have about 400lbs of weight plus myself) and he said yeah. so hopefully i don't fall through the deck with the bar on my shoulders