Thread: Slingshot help

Wannabebig New Member

Slingshot help

I recently bought me a slingshot to try benching with. my first time using i warmed up without it getting up to 80% of my max. i then put it on and tried 85% of my max. this was a huge mistake. i couldnt control the weight and dropped it. i am atleast smart enough to first try this in the rack and the safety pins saved me. im sure this thing works and im doing something wrong. i find it really hard to grab with a wide grip. close grip bench presses seem to be fine. is this something i should start off with light weights and get used to? any imput or advice would be greatly appreciated

Usually any piece of equipment is going to take a few sessions of break in time, getting used to it. I can't access the videos from work, but I'm assuming you've glanced at the "How to use" section on the website?

http://www.howmuchyabench.net/how-to-use.html

How are you liking it so far? I'm considering purchasing one.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

if you're a high groove (ie: bodybuilding bencher), the slingshot may be difficult to use. from my experience, the titan ram seems to have a higher groove than the slingshot. the slingshot puts you at the natural groove (lower pec) so arching and mild tucking is critical when using the slingshot. your best bet is to call Mark Bell from Super Training Gym and seek advice from the person who invented the device

I'd suggest starting light with any new piece of equipment to learn the right form for it. Never try to learn form under heavy weight. I constanly tell our lifters "form never follows weight. Weight follows form". Goof luck!
    Last edited by mastermonster; 05-22-2011 at 02:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    Proudly Sponsored by Titan Support Systems Inc. and 'Monster Barbell'
    Training log: (Mastermonster's Quest For The Records)

I think that slingshot is outstanding..my shoulders are wrecked and I couldn't bench anymore..slingshot solved that and I'm benching heavier than ever

the first few times I used it, it seemed awkward as hell...but after a few bench days I got in the groove..I can't weight for bench day to roll around every week..I used to dread it

I used the slingshot yesterday for first time. A friend brought it over. I think it is more for flared benchers. I tuck my elbows when benching and I really didn't feel like I was getting that much out of it. I can see how it can help shoulder problems out of the hole though.
    Best lifts

Bench Raw 560 Equipped 725 single ply
    Deadlift 750

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I learned it by starting with the cuffs up on my biceps ( making it stretch less, making it easier to control) this worked for a high groove or for my belly groove.

Now I use it with the cuffs around my elbows..... this works better with my belly groove but is hard to work to my higher groove.

Helps my shoulders a lot.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!