The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Question on the Sling Shot

Question for all you Sling Shot users.

How many of you guys use them ? I train by my self, garage style, I do have a power rack that I lift in, so if I am using the sling shot by myself benching and cannot get the weight, or dump it, the safety bars can get it.

Do you need a partner to help you get it on ? or can it be done by yourself ? Also, is there any carry over value, meaning that by using the Sling Shot to push heavier weights-will contribute to a heavier raw max as well ?

Thanks for your help and advice

Cary

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

All the info you seek is on Mark Bell's website, it says if it's too tight to get on by yourself, you didn't size yourself properly. If you're by yourself do you have a power rack to bench in? That's what a lot of us use in the garage. There should be carryover, as it's allowing you to push more weight, so in the end there should be some carryover to when you take it off after a training cycle, how much, I don't know, would depend on you and several variables.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Mark. After I posted this question, I found the videos you mentioned and it answered my questions. I do bench in a power rack with adjustable pins.

My arms measure 15" at 3" above the elbow. I'll probably go with the 2XL just to be sure it is not too small.

Thanks again for the info. Do you have one ? and if so, how much more can you bench with the Sling shot over your raw bench ?

Cary

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Pond View Post
    Thanks Mark. After I posted this question, I found the videos you mentioned and it answered my questions. I do bench in a power rack with adjustable pins.

My arms measure 15" at 3" above the elbow. I'll probably go with the 2XL just to be sure it is not too small.

Thanks again for the info. Do you have one ? and if so, how much more can you bench with the Sling shot over your raw bench ?

Cary
    Glad to be of assistance. I don't have one yet..but have been reading/watching and researching them. Just waiting until after my meet to start playing around with stuff.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

i would suggest just going with the XL personally. i measure 16.5 inches at 3" above the elbow and ordered the XL. Its tight but its better to be tight than loose....and thats what she said.
    Precision Speed & Strength Development The only TRUE Strength and Conditioning gym in Rochester!
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

Pro Strongman | Moderator Tom Mutaffis's Avatar
    Question for all you Sling Shot users.

How many of you guys use them ? I train by my self, garage style, I do have a power rack that I lift in, so if I am using the sling shot by myself benching and cannot get the weight, or dump it, the safety bars can get it.

Do you need a partner to help you get it on ? or can it be done by yourself ? Also, is there any carry over value, meaning that by using the Sling Shot to push heavier weights-will contribute to a heavier raw max as well ?

Thanks for your help and advice

Cary
    I also train at home and have a SlingShot, it is easy to put on and if you would like to make it even easier you can always wear an Under Armor type shirt.
    ASC 105 Kg Pro Strongman | My Website | Facebook Fan Page

Weight: 235 lbs | Front Squat: 510 lbs | Overhead: 375 lbs | Deadlift: 700 lbs

Supplements: www.AtLargeNutrition.com

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks Tom.

How much more can you bench with the sling shot over your raw max ? Would you say it has contributed to your raw max ?

Cary

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks gmen5681:

I too was wandering what size to go with XL or 2XL. I weight 215 and biceps at 15 at 3". I'll try the XL per your suggestion. How much more are you getting in your sling shot over your max ?

Thanks Tom.

How much more can you bench with the sling shot over your raw max ? Would you say it has contributed to your raw max ?

Cary
    I am not the best person to ask about carryover or helping your raw bench because I never really bench press, but if I had to guess I would say that I probably get about 10-15% out of the SlingShot.

One of my training partners did recently hit a raw PR after a couple of workouts with the SlingShot if that means anything.

illinois fattest lifter theBarzeen's Avatar
    I like it a lot for when I'm not benching with the whole team. It's easier to use than a shirt ( doesn't give as much carry over either) and can be used without a whole lot of help. For me it's not about adding a bunch more weight to my press, it's about my shoulders not hurting for weeks after I press heavy.
    Meet PR's: 1008-750-750 - 2464

Gym PR's... don't count ... time to do another meet!

Quote Originally Posted by theBarzeen View Post
    I like it a lot for when I'm not benching with the whole team. It's easier to use than a shirt ( doesn't give as much carry over either) and can be used without a whole lot of help. For me it's not about adding a bunch more weight to my press, it's about my shoulders not hurting for weeks after I press heavy.
    This is the reason I'm thinking about getting one, no real pain or anything, but would like to keep it from ever starting.
    "Light Weight"

260's by May

worry less about the carry over and think about it more as a tool. everyone is going to be different. you arent going to go into a meet with it so just play with it when you want to and add weight. dont over think it.
    Precision Speed & Strength Development The only TRUE Strength and Conditioning gym in Rochester!
    PrecisionSSD
    FaceBook

I agree with this advice, the SlingShot is simply an overload tool like reverse bands or boards. It will allow you to safely handle more weight which in many cases can be beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by gmen5681 View Post
    worry less about the carry over and think about it more as a tool. everyone is going to be different. you arent going to go into a meet with it so just play with it when you want to and add weight. dont over think it.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    I agree with this advice, the SlingShot is simply an overload tool like reverse bands or boards. It will allow you to safely handle more weight which in many cases can be beneficial.
    Like the above advice.

Read in another post about the "Poor Man's Slingshot", which consisted of taking the bands, doubling them up and placing over the upper arms, much like the sling shot does. Tried it and got good results.

The bands have to be on the upper arm, doubled up. Tried the purple and green bands separately with 315 and easily done 10 reps. Will try again after my next 5/3/1 bench day to see what I can do. Should be a good training tool.
    Last edited by Cary Pond; 05-24-2011 at 08:08 AM.

Like the above advice.

Read in another post about the "Poor Man's Slingshot", which consisted of taking the bands, doubling them up and placing over the upper arms, much like the sling shot does. Tried it and got good results.

The bands have to be on the upper arm, doubled up. Tried the purple and green bands separately with 315 and easily done 10 reps. Will try again after my next 5/3/1 bench day to see what I can do. Should be a good training tool.
    So were you just looking for something more standardized?

Putting bands over your arms would be the same concept, although the SlingShot would be a bit easier to use since the carryover would be the same each time and you would not have to worry about it moving around.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mutaffis View Post
    So were you just looking for something more standardized?

Putting bands over your arms would be the same concept, although the SlingShot would be a bit easier to use since the carryover would be the same each time and you would not have to worry about it moving around.
    Not putting the sling shot down or taking anything from it......With kids in college, money tight, et all..., the bands worked respectably well without the cost. The slingshot would be more consistent, and provide more carry over.

Just making an observation.