Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultramarathon, Half Ironman, 1850+ total

Ultramarathon, Half Ironman, 1850+ total

So it's been a while since I had any sort of journal on this site.. and I won't bother dredging up the old one.

This will be more of a periodic log to track my progress, mostly because what I'll be trying to do within the next 12 months is not a combination of things that are ordinarily done concurrently so I'll need the benefit of occasional feedback or lookbacks...

The items in the journal title are my goals, all to be done within the next 12 months. What I would LIKE to do, of course, is complete them all within a six month period, starting with either the half ironman or an ultra in October.

Currently, I've completed 3 full marathons, last one in March, and my current best lifts WITHIN THE LAST THREE WEEKS, not my usual six month maxes) have been the following:

Bench press: 425
    Deadlift: 695
    Squat: 645

Longest run: 28.5 miles (9:35 pace)
    Longest bike: N/A
    Longest swim: N/A

I'm currently designing the long term program, but it will likely involve ME lifting days during the week (one bench focused movement, one squat or DL focused movement) with speed work on the weekend, and single event short duration cardio training blended in during the week (running speed work, any distance swim work, hill training on bike), and either distance work or brick workouts during the weekend (Swim and bike, bike and run, run and drink heavily).

Currently 223 pounds, about 7.5% bodyfat. I would like to keep this about the same, as if I go much under 215 my strength tanks, but if I go over 235 I can't run worth shit.

This should be fun!
    Last edited by Alex.V; 05-23-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

LuNa
    Very excited to see you start a journal again, as i enjoyed going through your older one. Best of luck with your goals!

A gallon a day, everyday! ThomasG's Avatar
    Journal should be titled my journey to becoming superman. Seriously holy shit I don't know how you can be so aerobically and anaerobically efficient at the same time. I will be following along.

About what are your maintenance cals when training for an ironman or ultra?
    My Journal
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    you're an intelligent guy... but you're also half #$%&ing crazy... and that my friend is the formula for a great powerlifter.
    23 Years old
    5'10 198'er
    Squat-565(wraps) 560(Raw)
    Bench:365(raw)
    Deadlift:555(raw)
    Front Squat-465x1 (wraps) 405x2 (raw)
    AtLarge Nutrition Optimize your body and Support WBB

Garage Lifter
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Journal should be titled my journey to becoming superman.
    x2, good luck and looking forward to reading along
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Alex is already Superman. That's Clark Kent talking.

Also for your journal.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
    Journal should be titled my journey to becoming superman. Seriously holy shit I don't know how you can be so aerobically and anaerobically efficient at the same time. I will be following along.

About what are your maintenance cals when training for an ironman or ultra?
    It's sort of interesting, I didn't think I could be either. I used to have to down close to 3000-4000 extra calories on my long run days, and 500+ over maintenance on a regular basis just to compensate.

About two months before my first marathon, though, I suffered a stress fracture in my right ankle; after a bit of time off I drastically altered my running gait, focusing on minimizing impact. Stride slightly shortened so that my foot would impact under me, not in front of me. Minimizing knee lift to minimize travel distance and force, minimizing upper body movement for the same reason. And all this added up to a much, much more efficient gait. The question is, can I find similar such efficiencies in my other events.

Now on my long runs (15-20+ miles) my carb up the night before consists of maybe 1000 over maintenance, with 500-1000 taken in during the run. Overall training volume isn't that high in either aerobic or anaerobic; calories stay in the 3500-4000 range, though when the brick workouts pick up I'll need to bump that to mid 4's.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu

Following with interest. Best of luck.

Wannabebig Member
    Incredible Goals. I just want to compete a marathon, so I will be following. When training for your previous marathons, were you big three training for PR's?

Garage Lifter
    Are you POSE running?
    "Its not the will to win that matters, everyone has that. Its the will to prepare to win that matters." Bear Bryant
    My blog: http://mattsdailyjournal.wordpress.com/
    My Journal: http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...88#post2271988

Wow, amazing numbers and goals. Best of luck and ill be a reader for sure.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Will be following along. Some bad ass goals to do so close together, but it seems very attainable by you.

Quote Originally Posted by StLRPh View Post
    Are you POSE running?

Nope, definitely not. I mean, it's possible that I'm using a few of those techniques by coincidence but... I'm just wary about using any sort of system that would alter my style unless absolutely necessary.

Yesterday was a bit of a short workout, some mixed bench work and a short run (Have the Doughman race this weekend, look it up if you're curious).

Working out in the backup gym for the next month while the gym with the good equipment (read: power cages and sturdy benches) gets renovations. Hence, probably won't do much heavy work.

Bench press, worked up to some triples at 385, dropped to 315 for 12, bent-over BB row with 315 for sets of 8, some accessory work, then went out for a short 2 miler @ ~7:00 pace (what I'll be likely doing this weekend).

Nothing too exciting until I get my new bike (in the next week or so), then the program really starts!

Banned
    Amazing stuff. I'm back in town and I'm interested in building both my strength and endurance at the same time. I'd love to do a triathlon one day so I'll be following along and hopefully I'll get some inspiration out of it.

Also; hello there.

Howdy J.C., thanks for checkin in. Whether or not this will be inspirational depends on whether or not I crash and burn.

Did a pure strength day- have the race this saturday so saved my legs. Also probably looking to do a 12 mile pacing run on sunday, so I can use the break.

Deadlifts, worked up to a simple 655 single. Dropped down and did speed work with 405. It's amazing how much running has made it harder to keep strength in my glutes- one muscle group that has DEFINITELY atrophied a bit from all the distance work. i.e. yeah, running makes your ass shrink. It's evident in my pull as well- at heavier loads my hips come up way too quickly- just don't have the hip and glute strength to keep them down and drive off the floor.

On the other hand, can do 12-15 rep fast sets with 405 and not even break a sweat.

Had the Doughman on Saturday morning, which meant saturday afternoon was the first of my real training days.

The doughman was... interesting. Let's just say Quinoa vegan "meatballs" do NOT sit easy during a run. Was a hilarious event, though... http://www.doughman.org/ if anybody's interested. Our team would have been rockin, but our cyclist got lost during his leg. (Not his fault, badly marked course). I managed to pass about eight teams in the eating zone by taking down the meal in four mouthfuls (the photographer looked like she was going to get sick watching me), and another six or seven on the course.

Total run: 2.03 miles in ~13 minutes.

Afterwards, bench and shoulders workout.

Work sets:

BB bench:

225 x 10,
    275 x 10,
    (315 x 3) x 6,
    315 x 6

BB OH press:

135 x 10,
    195 x 3,
    195 x 3

Still dealing with shoulder issues.

Went out for a 9 mile run. After the two miles this morning, this HURT.

Total run: 9 miles in ~83 minutes. Hilly course. Temp over 90 degrees.

Sunday, did legs.

Squats:

405 x 6,
    495 x 2
    605 x 2
    635 x 1

Box squats:

405 x 5
    405 x 5

Did some good mornings, got the hell out of there.. Went home and drank some of my homebrewed IPA.

Monday, got my new bike, went out for a short ride. Total, 9 miles. Total time, ~30 minutes.

Training total for training week 1:

Bench: 385 triples
    Deadlift: 655
    Squat: 635
    Total: 1675 (Not max)

Total Run: 15 miles
    Longest run: 9 miles

Total Bike: 9 miles
    Longest bike: 9 miles

Total swim: 0 miles
    Longest swim: 0 miles.
    Last edited by Alex.V; 05-31-2011 at 08:54 AM.

LuNa
    Nice work. Do you use any gear for the main three? You used a bench shirt before right?

Hitting a "simple" 655 pull and saying weak glutes dont even fit in the same sentence, especiall being a distance runner. Very very impressive work. That Dough run looks pretty fun too.
    JERSEY IRON POWERLIFTING
    198/220 Pro
    Currenty ranked #1 198 Multiply
    Best meet lifts @220 840/650/575
    Best meet lifts @198 875/585/630
    Best Raw Lifts @198 650/425/575
    Journal:http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122706

Eater of: 61 Buffalo wings in 8 minutes
    20 hotdogs+buns in 30 minutes

Thanks much, guys.

Luna, I use knee wraps and a belt for the squat... have an old pair of squat briefs I wear at times but they are from when I was around 240-245... they're entirely too loose, but do give my waist a bit more girth that helps with belt tightness, and they do keep me in the brief groove that I'd probably use in competition. Never used a bench shirt... that, and a new pair of briefs or a full squat suit are my next purchases.

Brian... it's all relative. Considering how huge my posterior used to be, and how it was my lower back that failed when I was pulling low 700's consistently... I guess maybe "weaker glutes" is more apropos.

That's a lot of work for one day. It's pretty impressive. That race looks fun, I wonder how many people throw up during it.

Throwing up gets you DQed. There are still a few every year.

Main gym is shut down for the next few weeks, so working out in this crappy alternate gym. It was 85 degrees in there, crowded, and the equipment is crap.

I won't go heavy on bench until the main one re-opens- I don't trust the racks there at all, and the single cage there is always being used.

Bench work sets:

315 x 10
    355 x 5
    405 x 2
    365 x 3

Sweating my ass off, hesitating too much on the rerack. (To give you some idea, the entire bench slides about half a foot if I re-rack too aggressively)

BB rows:

225 x 10
    315 x 8
    315 x 8

Did some DB rows, went for a 1.5 mile fast run in 97 degree weather, no shade. It wasn't really fast. Damn this heat, going to have to find some way to keep up training volume for the next few weeks until I acclimate. Did most of my marathon training in the winter, was out there running miles in 40 degree weather with tights, gloves, and a beanie on. This is definitely a different animal.

Only a minor update...

11 mile bike on Wednesday at an average of 16-17 mph. Still taking it easy, realize I haven't really ridden a bike in, oh, 15 years at least. First brick workout scheduled for this sunday, looking to do 15-20 miles and a 5-10 mile run or so. We'll see.

Did some deadlifts, worked up to:

495 x 2
    545 x 2
    665 x 1
    495 x 6

It was pointed out to me that my hamstrings are probably too tight, which is why my hips are coming up so quickly. I had thought it was just weak hamstrings/glutes, but my squat is still quiet strong. This is actualy plausible- might need to test this a bit more. I'm thinking it's both weakness and tightness.

Rest of the workout was unremarkable.

Oh, and my weekend birthday celebration plans are attached...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Happy Birthday Alex, looks like a winner already, lol. Wish you the best in all endeavors!!

Nice work on the pulls.