Thread: Back at the gym: Did I got too fast?

Back at the gym: Did I got too fast?

Started at the gym yesterday for the first time in 3 years. The point of going yesterday (Other than the fact that I get this week free) was to get use to lifting again, get my form down etc. Low volume, taking it slow (Or so I thought).

Today I woke up with DOMS mostly in my glutes and quads. Here's what I did my first day back.
    Squats
    Military Press
    Deads
    Bench
    Hammer curls
    This isn't what my normal day looks like, it's just a 'can my body move in this way again' day.
    For breakfast, Opticen and milk, a couple hours later 2 servings of Nitrean and 1 of Results. During the 1 hour session, I took it slow. I stretched at the end, took my Opticen as a PWO shake. I had no work the rest of the day so I was relaxing. Had my veggies and meat when I got home and veggies and fish for dinner.

Today, I got up and felt the DOMS. I decided to go to they gym and work on upper body (Assisted chins and dips) and some shrugs and rows. All just to get form down etc. Spent more time on the mat stretching. Went to work and about 2 hours in I had what I can only describe as 'feeling like crap'. It started in my stomach, like I was bloated, then breathing got difficult which triggered a panic attack. Vision blurred a bit. My neck was pretty tense.

I had 2 bottles of protein drinks that I bought from the gym as 'just in case' food. I thought maybe I didn't supply myself with enough nutrition. But that feeling never left until I took my benzos and a painkiller (And waited a good 1.5 hours).

Did I do something wrong? I've been to the doctors in the last 2 months. Blood tests show all is healthy. Heart, liver kidney, brain...all good.

I know we're not doctors on this forum, but maybe a little experience from those who might have had something similar happen could share. Or if you have an idea of what may have happened, I'm open.

I have 2 days off (Got pay the bills with work) before I'm at the gym again. Monday will be my first real day back: Squats, rows, bench.
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by synonymous View Post
    Started at the gym yesterday for the first time in 3 years. The point of going yesterday (Other than the fact that I get this week free) was to get use to lifting again, get my form down etc. Low volume, taking it slow (Or so I thought).

Today I woke up with DOMS mostly in my glutes and quads. Here's what I did my first day back.
    Squats
    Military Press
    Deads
    Bench
    Hammer curls
    This isn't what my normal day looks like, it's just a 'can my body move in this way again' day.
    For breakfast, Opticen and milk, a couple hours later 2 servings of Nitrean and 1 of Results. During the 1 hour session, I took it slow. I stretched at the end, took my Opticen as a PWO shake. I had no work the rest of the day so I was relaxing. Had my veggies and meat when I got home and veggies and fish for dinner.

Today, I got up and felt the DOMS. I decided to go to they gym and work on upper body (Assisted chins and dips) and some shrugs and rows. All just to get form down etc. Spent more time on the mat stretching. Went to work and about 2 hours in I had what I can only describe as 'feeling like crap'. It started in my stomach, like I was bloated, then breathing got difficult which triggered a panic attack. Vision blurred a bit. My neck was pretty tense.

I had 2 bottles of protein drinks that I bought from the gym as 'just in case' food. I thought maybe I didn't supply myself with enough nutrition. But that feeling never left until I took my benzos and a painkiller (And waited a good 1.5 hours).

Did I do something wrong? I've been to the doctors in the last 2 months. Blood tests show all is healthy. Heart, liver kidney, brain...all good.

I know we're not doctors on this forum, but maybe a little experience from those who might have had something similar happen could share. Or if you have an idea of what may have happened, I'm open.

I have 2 days off (Got pay the bills with work) before I'm at the gym again. Monday will be my first real day back: Squats, rows, bench.
    While I'm not a doctor I think you just did too much too soon.

If I were you I'd limit myself to say 30 minutes per workout 2 sets an exercise the first week back. Each week gradually add a few minutes and an extra set or two until you are back to where you were before. After 3 years off (even if you are in good shape) you just can't expect to jump in where you left off. I'd give myself a few months to 'break in' and retrain my CNS and muscles.

I don't know if it's the cause or not, I'm not a doctor...
    But, you might avoid back-to-back sessions and also try to eat a little more solid food.
    Shakes are great, but they should supplement a solid diet, not make up 75% of it.
    Your body needs rest after a hard workout, even if you are just starting out and things are light.
    _________
    ______
    ___

Off Road Journal

http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_white.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Yeah, I thought I had my diet worked out OK.

Breakfast is usually on the go which is why I opt for Opticen. The gym is the first thing I do in the morning so after an hour or 2 of work I have my Nitrean/Results as pre-workout and then Opticen post-workout. The rest of my day is veggies, meat and fish (Rice or sweet potatoes being my main source of carbs)

By the end of the day I've had 2 whole food meals, I meal replacement, pre and post workout shakes. Does this still sound bad?
    Ban Censors Donít Let ___ Stop___
    Love Your Enemies - It Really Messes with Their Minds

Wannabebig Member
    I have a theory, since I use amino acids for depression and anxiety: it's the BCAAs in all the protein shakes you're drinking. I crash badly if I take straight BCAAs...things like you're talking about. You can keep chugging them, and eventually, you'll adust. Alternatively, you could back way off, drink one or two a day and add one a week.

I had the same problem with my Optimum Nutrtion's added glutamine (not to be confused with glutamate). Glutamine's initially excitatory, then converts to GABA in the brain. GABA's how your anti-anxiety meds work.

Before a workout, I'd pound some Optimum Nutrition. After a workout, I'd pound 2 and WOW it would give me a huge lift and my heart would start pounding for an hour, then I'd crash.

The first culprit I'd look for is added glutamine.
    Last edited by IronRanger; 05-29-2011 at 02:11 PM.