Thread: When is it time to use a belt?

Banned

When is it time to use a belt?

I have lifted for years without a belt, doing squats and other exercises. I'm new to deadlifting, but I am enjoying the hell out of that exercise so far.

A question for the experts:

When is it time to start using a belt for squats? Deads?

- if you hurt yourself and need extra support?
    - if you start lifting more than XXX weight?
    - you never really need a belt?
    - you should always use a belt?

Some of my BB friends, whose opinions I respect, swear by the belts and claim it really helps then keep tight and avoid injury. Others lift beltless and claim that strict form and intelligent lifting preclude the need for a belt.

This may be a repeat of something already posted, but I couldn't find a meaningful thread with the first couple searches I tried....

Callahan

If your pants are a bit too big a belt can help...otherwise I don't use one.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

beltless all the way. If you feel nervous for some reason going heavy dont be scared to throught the belt on though
    Best Meet @ Lifts@181:...............Best gym lifts
    Squat...- 403..........................Squat....- 395 w/belt
    Bench...- 303..........................Bench....- 300....Paused in meet - 281
    Deadlift.- 503.....Unofficial 513...Deadlift..- 490
    Total....- 1,203...IPF Class II......All done raw, Touch'n go bench

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly" Robert F. Kennedy

"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he gives up"

"However beautiful the strategy you should occasionally look at the results" John Berardi

Powerlifting Westside Style

Someone posted an interesting article about how belts are not only unnecessary, but they are somewhat unsafe. Here's the link:
    http://www.testosterone.net/html/121back.html
    Obstacles are what you see when you take your mind off the goal.
    -Unknown

Energy and persistence conquer all things.
    -Benjamin Franklin

Grasshoppa
    If you've got good form and are smart about your abilities, you should be fine w/o one.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

When your pants have belt loops, that's when you wear one.
    "As far as drugs were concerned, all my bodybuilding heroes were on everything but roller skates."

In Memphis, it is illegal for a woman to drive by herself, unless a man is walking or running infront of the vehicle, waving a red flag in order to warn approaching pedestrians and motorists.

i havent used once since i started. i used one a few weeks ago. im happy to use a belt now but i only will on the heaviest, like ME day. even then its usually only for a final attempt. im no expert but htought id give my opinion, only wear it for the heaviest of heavies.
    'you cant avoid confrontation in life. it just makes things more trouble down the road. sometimes you have to look at the bull and say "f--k you bull" and grab that bull by the horns'

-Shane

i've always worn one, usually when squatting and deadlifting, and sometimes on a standing barbell press, its more of a security blanket than anything for me, but its not an absolute necessity.
    May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead.

never.

"Belts demonstrate strength - they don't build it." Stuart McRobert.
    The old F40 is BACK, cocky grinning, smiling and happy.... at last! (with a few more lbs of muscle too!)

If you want a weaker back you should wear one.

Squats and deadlifts are some of the best exercises for abdominals (obviously as well as back). With a belt I think you lose all that benefit.

to answer the original question...

when you dead 600lbs and squat 700lbs...u use belt any lower than that, it's just whimpy...

Be-lt? What is this thing you speak of?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    A wise man recently told me something like:

"Lose the ego, lose the belt and you will start to get stronger"

I am now gonna lose the belt on my heavy work. I will still wear it for box squats though to work on staying tight.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Well I'm sorry to say Latwoman....................
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Say what? Explain yourself Maxi pads.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 535 SQ 300 BE 570 DL.....1400 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    545 SQ 305 BE 585 DL

Banned
    I would say to only use a belt if you cannot perform the exercise without it. A couple of days ago I trained hams and lower back in the morning and quads in the afternoon. By the time I was ready to do squats my lower back had become completely tight from the morning session (I was having trouble with my light warm-up of one plate each side). I hadn't worn the belt for probably over a year, but what a difference it made that day. Judging from my warm-up I would either have had to go really light or just canned the squats altogether, but instead I set a personal best squatting 285 6 times. Don't wear a belt if you don't need one, but don't let anyone call you a sissy for using one at times either.